March 29, 2024, 05:05:41 AM

News:

Right? Wrong? or does it matter?

Started by Brew61, August 11, 2020, 12:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brew61

2004 RK , had a small oil leak from the backside of my primary. So decided to pull it off and replace all seals and gaskets. Now when I do my primary oil change it seems I drain more then what I have put in.

This time I measured what I took out and yes there is more then what I put in back in May, maybe like 1.5- 2oz. So I am thinking I am getting engine oil transfer. So I am replacing that seal as well, but just wondering if the seal that is in there right now is in right or backwards or seems it is a double seal does it even matter.

Ok seems it is not letting me upload an attachment for some reason so maybe just let me know which side of the seal faces into the primary.

Thanks
Bruce

[attach=0]
2004 Road King, 110 with S&S 585 Easy Start Cams,HPI 55 mm Thr

jsachs1

August 11, 2020, 01:47:03 PM #1 Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:11:48 PM by jsachs1
Hard to tell from your pic. The radius metal part of the seal goes/faces in toward the center of the engine. :wink:
Be careful when you're installing the alt. spacer, that you don't upset the springs on the seal as well.
John

fleetmechanic

:agree: Dislodging the seal spring is very easy to do.

Brew61

Quote from: jsachs1 on August 11, 2020, 01:47:03 PM
Hard to tell from your pic. The radius metal part of the seal goes/faces in toward the center of the engine. :wink:
Be careful when you're installing the alt. spacer, that you don't upset the springs on the seal as well.
John

Hey John, this is a better picture of the seal that I will be installing. Picture (A) is the side of the seal that is facing the primary right now. Picture (B) is the side that is facing the centre of the engine right now.

I installed this seal a few years back when I built the engine. I had pulled the old seal out months before, so I did not remember which way it was in. I assumed it went in that way so thats how I installed it. So now I am second guessing if it is the right way.

I am guessing when you say "The radius metal part of the seal goes/faces in toward the center of the engine" you are talking picture (B) facing to the centre of the engine which is the way it is installed now.

Is that correct?

Thanks
Bruce

[attach=0]
[attach=1]

Karl H.

The manual says: "lettering facing outside".

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

rigidthumper

A side goes in- you should always  "press on the numbers", so you'll see B when installed.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

klammer76

Brew61

Ok thanks guys

I guess when I installed the seal a few years back I installed it backwards, maybe thats why I am getting some oil transfer. So I will try it the right way this time and see how it goes.  :embarrassed: :smile:

Bruce

choseneasy

I smooth the spacer on the face that goes into the motor if it is grooved from running loose. I also smooth out any grooves  where the seal may ride if it looks rough.

Brew61

Quote from: choseneasy on August 12, 2020, 10:41:51 AM
I smooth the spacer on the face that goes into the motor if it is grooved from running loose. I also smooth out any grooves  where the seal may ride if it looks rough.

My spacer was not to old, I did the Timken bearing kit on it when I built the engine so had to go with the earlier spacer. I was going to get a new spacer just because I had it apart but the local dealer did not have one in stock so i will just use what is in there. There are not marks on it at all so it's good.

Thanks
Bruce

jsachs1

Quote from: Brew61 on August 11, 2020, 10:42:20 PM
Quote from: jsachs1 on August 11, 2020, 01:47:03 PM
John

Hey John, this is a better picture of the seal that I will be installing. Picture (A) is the side of the seal that is facing the primary right now. Picture (B) is the side that is facing the centre of the engine right now.

I installed this seal a few years back when I built the engine. I had pulled the old seal out months before, so I did not remember which way it was in. I assumed it went in that way so thats how I installed it. So now I am second guessing if it is the right way.

I am guessing when you say "The radius metal part of the seal goes/faces in toward the center of the engine" you are talking picture (B) facing to the centre of the engine which is the way it is installed now.

Is that correct?

Thanks
Bruce

[attach=0,msg1357924]
[attach=1,msg1357924]
Side A goes in facing the center of the engine. Side B faces the compensator. When installing the alternator spacer, use a small wipe of oil around the lips of the seal, and use a twisting motion when installing it through the seal.
John

Brew61

Installed and all done. Thanks for everyones reply.

Bruce