March 28, 2024, 06:28:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CV carb help

Started by PJultra, August 07, 2020, 06:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJultra

So I got a very clean, almost virgin 96 CV parts carb. Still had plastic fuel inlet and the air mixture screw was still sealed.
So I rebuild it with good parts from my broken carb.
Get it installed on the bike, turn on the fuel, go and get my keys, go back out to the bike..... gas everywhere.
So I have been messing with the float. Adjusting height, changed out the float needle. Still flooding.
I left the bowl cover off, connected the fuel line, held the carb upside down so that the float needle would be closed. Turned on the gas and no gas coming out of the float needle.
So I re install the cover, push the carb half assed into the manifold just to hold it. Turn on the gas..... flooding.
I pulled the carb off, put on a piece of fuel line, blew into the hose with the carb in the upright position, air blows thru.
Turn the carb upside down, blow on the hose, no air going thru.
WTF????? I know a few of you genius' in here will be able to help.
       Thanx in advance
98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

Hossamania

With the bowl off, carb upright, blow thru the fuel line gently, and slowly lift the float until the air is blocked, this will tell you if the float adjustment is close. Also, the float may be leaking.
Have you set the float per the manual?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

PJultra

I have tried 2 different float, both with the same outcome.
As far as adjusting the float I have been estimating the 20 degree tilt. I don't think I have anything in my garage that has Degree settings. But then again, I have alot of stuff in my garage.

PJultra

Not being a carb genius, could the accelerator pump cause any issues like this????
I did not touch that on this new to me carb body.

Hossamania

I suppose it's possible. Since you've not checked it, it should probably be inspected.

choseneasy

Are you sure it isn't the plastic elbow?

Hossamania

Turning the carb upside down to check for fuel flow doesnt tell you where the float turns the flow off. Basically you want the carb set level, bowl removed, fuel flowing, then lift the float until the fuel stops. Checking the accelerator pump first is a good idea either way since you don't know what shape it's in.

xlfan

Which parts were missing on the almost virgin -96 carb, that you replaced with parts from your broken carb?

guppymech

The service manual tells how to set the float level, you measure from the gasket surface to the float with the carb tipped a little bit from vertical so the float needle is on it's seat.  I don't remember the dimension right now. 
Since you've tried several needles with no luck, maybe the needle seat is messed up.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

koko3052

Quote from: PJultra on August 07, 2020, 06:28:38 PM
As far as adjusting the float I have been estimating the 20 degree tilt. I don't think I have anything in my garage that has Degree settings. But then again, I have alot of stuff in my garage.

Rather than guessing at the degrees you are tipping the float, cut a piece of 2 x 4 at the degree needed then set the carb on the wedge & measure from there. Mark the degrees on the wedge with a felt pen & keep with your carb parts.  :up:
If you have, or a buddy has a table saw it's simple.

tyson1989

Check the overflow tube in the bowl THOURGHLY.   That tube can crack and cause this problem.

PJultra

The only things missing from this carb were the upper diaphram slide and spring.
I found my roofers square which has degree markings on it. Once I used it, I was able to set the float correctly.
Boy what a difference that made.
I've never had a carb that was pouring fuel out of every orifice before. But now all is good. 
Thanx guys for all of your input.

PJultra

Quote from: koko3052 on August 08, 2020, 08:02:36 AM
Quote from: PJultra on August 07, 2020, 06:28:38 PM

Rather than guessing at the degrees you are tipping the float, cut a piece of 2 x 4 at the degree needed then set the carb on the wedge & measure from there. Mark the degrees on the wedge with a felt pen & keep with your carb parts.  :up:
If you have, or a buddy has a table saw it's simple.

Thanx. I like that idea.

Hossamania

Quote from: PJultra on August 08, 2020, 10:34:18 AM
The only things missing from this carb were the upper diaphram slide and spring.
I found my roofers square which has degree markings on it. Once I used it, I was able to set the float correctly.
Boy what a difference that made.
I've never had a carb that was pouring fuel out of every orifice before. But now all is good. 
Thanx guys for all of your input.

Congratulations, glad you got it sorted.