May 06, 2024, 02:53:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Battery tender for new AGM battery?

Started by zj1182, August 15, 2020, 10:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zj1182

Any special requirements for a tender for my new HD AGM battery p/n 65989-97D?  Dealer parts guy (30 yr veteran at that dealer) said no special treatment or equipment is required. Bought this battery from the dealer at a 15% discount. This is now in my stock '02 Heritage Softail Classic w/112K mi on it.  Replaces the OEM battery I bought from the same dealer in 2014.  No complaints about battery life on that one.
I usually keep it on a tender if I'm going to leave it for more than a few weeks, and put it on a tender over the winter.  I leave it in place and charge it through a pigtail.

Cheers all!
zj

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Tom

Panzer

YES................... plus to plus (+), minus to minus (-) and plug it in.
Can't be to safe.  :SM:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

motorhogman

You've had better luck than me with recent OEM batteries.. I used to change them at 5 years even if the were working fine. Seems starting around 2010.. after 2 years maybe a bit longer I'd start experiencing Hot Soak cranking issues.  I never used a battery tender until the past few years.

I don't believe AGM battery quality is as good as it was say 20 to 25 years ago.

I think that the only way in certain conditions like extreme heat or cold environments the key to battery life is a tender.

I've switched from OEM to Duracell. Using a tender and the current Duracell is just over two years and cranking great in all conditions.

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

tomcat64

Quote from: motorhogman on August 16, 2020, 07:33:19 AM
You've had better luck than me with recent OEM batteries.. I used to change them at 5 years even if the were working fine. Seems starting around 2010.. after 2 years maybe a bit longer I'd start experiencing Hot Soak cranking issues.  I never used a battery tender until the past few years.

I don't believe AGM battery quality is as good as it was say 20 to 25 years ago.

I think that the only way in certain conditions like extreme heat or cold environments the key to battery life is a tender.

I've switched from OEM to Duracell. Using a tender and the current Duracell is just over two years and cranking great in all conditions.

I replaced mine this year, 6 years old and it was still working fine but we went on a big trip out west and I didn't want to have problems..

motorhogman

Quote from: tomcat64 on August 17, 2020, 10:24:24 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on August 16, 2020, 07:33:19 AM

I replaced mine this year, 6 years old and it was still working fine but we went on a big trip out west and I didn't want to have problems..

When I take the 2 year old battery out of the bike I install it in the lawn tractor,, It will work good there for a few more years. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor