Brake flush causing issues with brake light switch

Started by TXChop, August 10, 2020, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXChop

Just curious if it was only me.
Have been servicing/flushing brake fluid a ton this year. Seems customers are finally getting on board with the 2 year flush schedule.

I use the tool below. However my question is anyone else having to replace the brake light switch when they do this? 2 out of the 4 i have done in 2 weeks i have had to replaced the
rear brake light switch with the flush. Cleaning it out doesn't work. Some of the fluid is very bad though. Unless the tool is causing them to fail?

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Economy-Compressed-Air-Brake-Bleed-Kit-P50499.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjw4MP5BRBtEiwASfwAL_3LfDUZQnqvL95UNSPheeMBzUmMm6GIZp759To0Rn59H4mOoq2mnRoCOcoQAvD_BwE

barny7655

Used these for yrs in the trade ,okay if used with less air delivery than 100psi which compressors run at ,, find that one still has to do a manual  bleed after wards, as the air operated bleeder is to aggressive,leaving air in system,the switch is a fluid pressure switch , you have tried cleaning it  with no success,what i do it suck what fluid is in the reservoir,top it up then do a manual bleed slowly until clear fluid comes out , take off the switch use ohm metre across the terminals , should be zero ,add pressure to the fluid  side and check , should  read  , if not the internal diaphram is faulty, damaged sucked the guts out of it , it reads pressure produced ,not suction produced,hope this helps, would not used these on this application  ,others will chime in ,
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

hattitude

Quote from: TXChop on August 10, 2020, 08:43:01 PM
Just curious if it was only me.
Have been servicing/flushing brake fluid a ton this year. Seems customers are finally getting on board with the 2 year flush schedule.

I use the tool below. However my question is anyone else having to replace the brake light switch when they do this? 2 out of the 4 i have done in 2 weeks i have had to replaced the
rear brake light switch with the flush. Cleaning it out doesn't work. Some of the fluid is very bad though. Unless the tool is causing them to fail?

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Economy-Compressed-Air-Brake-Bleed-Kit-P50499.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjw4MP5BRBtEiwASfwAL_3LfDUZQnqvL95UNSPheeMBzUmMm6GIZp759To0Rn59H4mOoq2mnRoCOcoQAvD_BwE

FWIW..... I'm not a tech, nor do I work in a shop...

I have maintained 4 Harleys, and performed at least two brake fluid flushes (front & rear) on each of them with that very tool...

I've never had an issue with a brake light switch before or after a fluid flush...

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Could they have been defective prior? I've changed a ton over the years.
Tom