April 25, 2024, 04:51:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil pumps

Started by Sunny Jim, August 14, 2020, 07:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunny Jim

With so many big kits on offer, is the jury out on the choice of oil pump.
I am running 124 kit and the SS oil pump and plate but am still getting excessive oil from the sensor port, as per the HD test procedure.
Does the new HD pump do what the others don't.
Can this problem be solved without splitting the cases and modifying scraper, oil ports etc.?

rigidthumper

The latest pump from HD seems to have it solved- I'm seeing dozens of 124/128/131 kits with the new pump and no more sumping issues.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

yobtaf103

Quote from: Sunny Jim on August 14, 2020, 07:15:03 PM
With so many big kits on offer, is the jury out on the choice of oil pump.
I am running 124 kit and the SS oil pump and plate but am still getting excessive oil from the sensor port, as per the HD test procedure.
Does the new HD pump do what the others don't.
Can this problem be solved without splitting the cases and modifying scraper, oil ports etc.?

Jim does your S&S pump have the seal at the rear?
think the answer is in the other thread = worth trying the new SE 2020 pump on the S&S camplate

Sunny Jim

My current (SS) pump and plate has no seal!
I have and original pump and plate with the sealed backing plate in my store.
Did I not read in an previous thread where it is possible to machine the SS backing plate and install the HD seal?
Has anyone carried out this modification successfully?

This current set up hasn't officially 'Sumped'
But the excess oil in the case is way to much.

Don D

Save the old pumps. Dan Thayer modifies them for reasonable money, cures sumping and adds a 3rd stage.

Nastytls

He's now modifying M8 pumps? How does he get a 3rd rotor in there? Wouldn't there need to be an additional pickup point added to the plate?

Don D

Call him up
Dan Thayer Sales
Adds a section and a seal on the back

riders1.jt

I'm running the latest HD oil pump on my 124" fuelmoto with over 1000 miles and no issues...

Sunny Jim

Quote from: riders1.jt on August 16, 2020, 11:03:50 AM
I'm running the latest HD oil pump on my 124" fuelmoto with over 1000 miles and no issues...

:up:
That is reassuring. I am curious as to whether anyone has also had any issues with the oil cooler on the tourers.

BigT

Quote from: Sunny Jim on August 16, 2020, 04:30:36 PM
Quote from: riders1.jt on August 16, 2020, 11:03:50 AM

:up:
That is reassuring. I am curious as to whether anyone has also had any issues with the oil cooler on the tourers.
What kind of issue could you possibly have with an oil cooler?

Sunny Jim

Yes what could possibly go wrong with an oil cooler you say!
I recall reading/ listening to some comment from GMR regarding coolers.
Restrictions, blockages, contamination eg.
Simply asking if anybody has had a cooler issue?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Yes the NEW Oil Pump does an excellent job of scavenging vs the pre-dated ones.

Blocked Oil Coolers? Yes.

That was a Tech Article (which, BTW, H-D just discontinued those a month or so ago (I liked reading them) from February (maybe earlier like December. I know prior to COVID Shutdown) instructing Dealers/Technicians to Open Oil Filters on a LONG list if VIN's and blow shop in the exit port of the cooler with both lines removed when servicing to check for RTV.

Seems there was an issue with the machine over applying sealant to cases during production (300 - 400) actually a small number.

There were 5 that we sold. The Owners were asked to bring their Motorcycle in for a free service and inspection. We didn't find any issues. However there was one Dealership that I know had four or five with RTV particles in them. Both  the Filters and Coolers  (friend of mine in MD). He said his dealership has made it a practice to open filters on all M8's since the directive came out.

IIRC, The "tel-tale-sign" is a sudden increase in oil pressure". States "something like this" .....The Motorcycle should be turned off and the closest Dealer called for Service.

I don't know of (or heard) of any that had catastrophic failures but one in the mid-west. They found that under warranty (smoked Engine) and was returned to HD for inspection. I'm "pretty sure" (but not positive) that's how they identified the issue in the first place.

In the same TECH TIO the EITMS gets turned ON before any M8 leave the Dealership when sold or during any service. I've personally seen that message in DT when an M8 was connected. There is another Tech-Tip on that for another series of VIN's. AND they're supposed to be checking the Top Plugs because water is pooling (no drain) and the Plug Wires are corroding and separating. Any "off idle popping" the Plug Wires and Poly Intake Seals should be replaced before diagnosing further.

Last I heard, everything was back to normal regarding this.

I call my Buddy Tuesday and get him to send me the communications in email. I left last month (retirement/old age). If anyone has access to HDNet, do a search and it will be in there. They finally turned mine off as of last Thursday. Should be in the SIP about twenty document down in the list bottom right side of screen.
Tom

FSG

Quote from: Nastytls on August 16, 2020, 03:47:07 AM
He's now modifying M8 pumps? How does he get a 3rd rotor in there? Wouldn't there need to be an additional pickup point added to the plate?

he takes factory pumps in exchange
machines them adapting a billet back housing with the extra scavenging rotor and the new 2020 styled seal

cost is in the vicinity of 250 exchange plus shipping which to me is good value

Sunny Jim

I would be keen to read the tech bulletin on oil coolers - M8.

FLSTFIDave

I have 13,000 miles on my 130 inch M8.  I'm running 12.1 to 1 compression and am using the HD 2020 8 lobe oil pump.  I have not had any issues.  Its been in 96 degree days, the Smokey Mountains, 3 hours at 80 on the interstate. 
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

Sunny Jim

In addition, is there really any advantage in replacing the original Cam plate with an aftermarket unit?