March 28, 2024, 09:13:18 AM

News:

Dash speedometer

Started by 76shuvlinoff, August 15, 2020, 04:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

I have been thru 5 cable driven speedometers on the 76 FLH in the 26 years owned it. It did not have the original when I bought it in 94.  In changing transmissions I had to go to a front wheel driven unit. it's been on the left or right depending on the brake configuration at the time. One I broke just removing the reset knob.

I installed a later front end to get the dual 4 pot calipers and rotors so I moved the cable drive to the rear. It's really busy in there on the sprocket side.  The options for 2240:60 speedos are all offshore. The last one lasted 247 miles. Odo and trip meters worked, needle was stuck at 65 mph. This week I got yet another offshore speedo from JP.  :embarrassed: 

Is there a better tank dash replacement speedometer out there?   

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

72fl

Mark you might look at Dakota Digital, that's what I use on my 72. I Know I know Sacrilege :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Ohio HD

Might be them triple digit numbers that effects their life....      :bike:

capn

I got a vdo electrical speedo on my 76.It has a sensor that mounts to the rear sprocket and the pickup goes in place of the axle spacer on the left side.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 15, 2020, 07:25:28 AM
Might be them triple digit numbers that effects their life....      :bike:

Those events only happen about once every 6-7 years because it's a lot more unnerving than it used to be.... but yeah... it did happen shortly before this speedometer failed. Very shortly.   :teeth:  I was kinda proud of the way she was pulling and got carried away.

When this one fails, and it will,  I will be looking at electronic. I would like to keep the analog look though.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Dogbone45ACP

Speedhut sells a GPS speedo 4" and 4 1/2 ". They can be adapted to the dash.

JW113

Mark, if you want to maybe roll the dice...

I have one of these. Yes, I know. V-Taiwan. What is interesting about this one, it is kind of a hybrid mechanical/electronic design. It uses a wheel mounted drive and cable just like mechanical, but at the speedo, instead of turning a metal cup around a magnetic needle shaft, it turns a cog wheel with an optical sensor. Sort of like the flywheel sensor on a Twin Cam. The pulse from the optical sensor go to a computer, and a step motor operates the speedo needle. It also has a built in Tach, and a digital Odometer and Trip Odo. So the moving parts in this thing are minimal. AND, it can be programmed to use any speedo drive ratio.

I bought one not expecting a lot, but so far it's held up great. It does the same thing as the new HD speedos do at power up, both needles swing from Zero to Full Scale and back, then read correctly.

Worth a shot if you have $150 to throw away. Maybe see what Cal Phil can get one for?

https://www.amazon.com/V-Twin-39-0730-Multi-Speedometer-Tachometer/dp/B00UME1KH6

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

76shuvlinoff

Thanks JW. I bookmarked it but I am going to see how long the $70 Taiwan unit lasts ... for now.  The damn Shovel didn't get full tank ran through it last year.
 - Ernest Hemingway

billbuilds

I'm curious as to why you say that all 2240:60 options are offshore? You must know that the Moco used them on several models over several years. Is it speedometer cable compatability? Maybe give Barnett a call and see if they can make one up for you.  Might turn out that it's cost prohibitive but atleast you'll know.

JW113

Aren't the stock 2240:60 speedos, driven from a drive unit on the front wheel, were made by Nippon-Denso?

-JW

billbuilds

Quote from: JW113 on August 26, 2020, 05:27:05 PM
Aren't the stock 2240:60 speedos, driven from a drive unit on the front wheel, were made by Nippon-Denso?

-JW

I'm not sure, that could very well be.  Don't mean to sound flippant but wondwering what your point is.

JW113

Just being a wise guy I guess, since all stock HD 2240:60 speedos were made offshore.
:SM:

-JW

billbuilds

August 27, 2020, 02:45:48 PM #12 Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:50:41 PM by billbuilds
     Ok, I see where you were going now though I think you'd agree that Japanese quality trumps beats Taiwan quality every time. 

JW113

76shuvlinoff

This speedo just did the same thing the last one did but only lasted 70 miles.  Needle stuck at 60, odo works. Guess I've got all winter to figure something else out.
 - Ernest Hemingway

capn

I got a speed hut gps on the 97 flht and a vdo electronic on my 76 flh .Both very dependable but not cheap. But you only gotta spend it once.

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on August 27, 2020, 11:44:13 AM
Just being a wise guy I guess, since all stock HD 2240:60 speedos were made offshore.
:SM:

-JW
i dont get it. why cant all hd parts be made in the usa

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: JW113 on August 15, 2020, 01:21:47 PM

I have one of these. Yes, I know. V-Taiwan. What is interesting about this one, it is kind of a hybrid mechanical/electronic design. It uses a wheel mounted drive and cable just like mechanical, but at the speedo, instead of turning a metal cup around a magnetic needle shaft, it turns a cog wheel with an optical sensor. Sort of like the flywheel sensor on a Twin Cam. The pulse from the optical sensor go to a computer, and a step motor operates the speedo needle. It also has a built in Tach, and a digital Odometer and Trip Odo. So the moving parts in this thing are minimal. AND, it can be programmed to use any speedo drive ratio.

I bought one not expecting a lot, but so far it's held up great. It does the same thing as the new HD speedos do at power up, both needles swing from Zero to Full Scale and back, then read correctly.

Worth a shot if you have $150 to throw away. Maybe see what Cal Phil can get one for?

https://www.amazon.com/V-Twin-39-0730-Multi-Speedometer-Tachometer/dp/B00UME1KH6

-JW

JW, any extra mucking around to get it installed?

Quote from: capn on October 09, 2020, 12:01:16 PM
I got a speed hut gps on the 97 flht and a vdo electronic on my 76 flh .Both very dependable but not cheap. But you only gotta spend it once.

capn. which model did oyu get?
 - Ernest Hemingway

capn

I cant remember what the models are but both are the same diameter as stock.They even look fairly stock .The speed hut gps on the ultra takes about 15 seconds to find a signal after starting.The VDO was on the 76 flh when I bought it.I really like it and it works well.It has a sensor that reads a small round insert that bolts on the rear sprocket with a wire that you run to the speedo.The sensor takes the place of the axle spacer.

JW113

Quote from: david lee on October 09, 2020, 02:22:52 PM
i dont get it. why cant all hd parts be made in the usa

Because HD does not make speedometers, never has never will. Like all companies, they are in business to make money. They outsource certain components that are not their core competency to OEMs, just like very other manufacturer does. Essentially anything electrical on a HD is not made by HD. Suspension is made by Showa. Brakes by who ever is their favorite supplier du jour. List goes on and on. HD makes the frames, engines, transmissions, sheet metal, but even a lot of that stuff is sourced from OEMs. HD does the paint and final assembly.

-JW

JW113

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on October 09, 2020, 03:54:39 PM

Not much. It mounts exactly like the stock one. You have to connect it to power and ground, but that is easy. Just put a rign lug on the power line and attach it at the ignition switch. And you need to run a line down to the coil for the tach. Instead of a mechanical trip reset, you have to mount a little flat switch somewhere. Mine is tie wrapped to the frame, between the tank and seat. After it's installed, you have to select which drive rato you have, 1:1, 2:1, or 2240:60. After that, it's set and forget. So far, mine has held up great.

-JW

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: capn on October 09, 2020, 05:38:24 PM
I cant remember what the models are but both are the same diameter as stock.They even look fairly stock .The speed hut gps on the ultra takes about 15 seconds to find a signal after starting.The VDO was on the 76 flh when I bought it.I really like it and it works well.It has a sensor that reads a small round insert that bolts on the rear sprocket with a wire that you run to the speedo.The sensor takes the place of the axle spacer.

Thanks!

Quote from: JW113 on October 10, 2020, 11:27:37 AM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on October 09, 2020, 03:54:39 PM

Not much. It mounts exactly like the stock one. You have to connect it to power and ground, but that is easy. Just put a rign lug on the power line and attach it at the ignition switch. And you need to run a line down to the coil for the tach. Instead of a mechanical trip reset, you have to mount a little flat switch somewhere. Mine is tie wrapped to the frame, between the tank and seat. After it's installed, you have to select which drive rato you have, 1:1, 2:1, or 2240:60. After that, it's set and forget. So far, mine has held up great.

-JW

My Ultima ignition has a tach wire, should not be a problem there.   Thanks!
 - Ernest Hemingway

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: JW113 on August 15, 2020, 01:21:47 PM

-JW

Finally got to installing the one from V-Twin.  Nothing much to it  IF I would've noticed it had an adapter bushing on it so it could use either the large or small cable nut. But Noooooo I spent more time grafting a larger nut and ferrel onto my old cable than the rest of the install combined.

I only got a 4 mile test run in, looks good and seems to work. The Tach is real bouncy till 3K but I've never had one on this bike anyhow.  I have a Speedometer app on my phone I will compare the two. All my mechanical ones read 3-5 mph fast.

The old bike has other issues. Feels good to work on it again.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113