April 23, 2024, 08:58:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S Carb. throttle cable/s(?)

Started by hywystar, December 14, 2020, 09:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hywystar

My '92 Softail Custom came with a Keihn CV carb and i changed it out for a Super E-great carb, no regrets. Want to change the throttle cable. Will the carb work ok with just the rear cable by itself, since the carb has a return spring and a tension spring on the idle adjustment? ...or is there really a dire need for that cable on the front, since it doesn't seem to do anything.
Don't Ride Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

Ohio HD

The return cable does do something if the main cable were to stick at open throttle. If the main cable sticks, then the return cable allows you to close the throttle. So yes, it does nothing, until you may need it.

jsachs1

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 14, 2020, 09:41:17 AM
The return cable does do something if the main cable were to stick at open throttle. If the main cable sticks, then the return cable allows you to close the throttle. So yes, it does nothing, until you may need it.
:up: :up:

JW113

I guess I should not admit this, but I have never used the idle cable on any of my bikes. Yes, I know. Just another careless risk taking motorcycle rider...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on December 14, 2020, 02:49:38 PM
I guess I should not admit this, but I have never used the idle cable on any of my bikes. Yes, I know. Just another careless risk taking motorcycle rider...

-JW

JW /  Ohio,  so if the idle cable is kinda loose - in other words you've run out of adjustment at the lever end and it's still a little slack - but it still works to some degree it's ok to run like that?
I have this same problem and didn't really want to change out my idle cable for a shorter one to get it nice and tight.
Thanks.

Ohio HD

The idle cable should be slightly loose, it's covered in the HD service manuals on adjustment.

Adam76

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 14, 2020, 03:25:39 PM
The idle cable should be slightly loose, it's covered in the HD service manuals on adjustment.
:up:

hywystar

THX to all for the replies, stay healthy, ride safe, and Happy Holidays.
Don't Ride Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

MikeL

I broke the throttle cable in the middle of nowhere upstate ny. I was very pleased to use the idle cable as the throttle cable. I never go without the idle cable and yes keep it loose it can cause the throttle to return slowly if too tight.

MIKE