April 16, 2024, 05:14:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Build progress and pushrod question

Started by Adam76, August 19, 2020, 06:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racepres

And the cheap ones??? you can usually pluck them apart at the Adjuster, after use... especially Front Exhaust!!

motorhogman

Quote from: Racepres on August 20, 2020, 07:50:07 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on August 20, 2020, 07:01:45 AM
Adjustables do occasionally fail, but I don't see it happening in great numbers, there are hundreds of thousands of them out there running around, if it was a major problem, no shops would use them, no reputable vendors would sell them.

Same was said about Wavy Washers!!!! LOL
Tho, a Good Quality adjustable Pushrod has proven itself Millions of miles ago... Buyer beware... never seen so many Cheap assed Adjustable pushrods till the Evo guys proved too lazy to remove the Rockers... or... not knowledgeable enough to get the cylinder on "stroke"... not all Mind you... But, Far far too many.. at our shop, then,  and to this Day!!!!

LOL.. yes !  Every time I tell somebody I'm going into the cam chest they ask if i already cut my stock push rods out..114,000 mi and they are still doing their job just fine.  Hell No. I love my stock push rods. Besides that the only time the aluminum rocker covers get properly polished is when i go into the cam chest or a lifter change.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Deye76

Like a oil thread  :hyst:
Good grief, like Hoss says, almost never hear of a failure. I've got a half million miles on adjustable's, never think about them.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Racepres

Quote from: Deye76 on August 20, 2020, 12:53:32 PM
Good grief, like Hoss says, almost never hear of a failure. I've got a half million miles on adjustable's, never think about them.
Experience?????

I have more than that on Ironheads, Shovelheads and Dragbikes... but, I'm saying watch for the cheap "Potty mouth" on Evo parts.. and ... They are Largely Unnecessary...

JW113

Unnecessary, sure. But at least 21 less bolts to remove to get the push rods out. That why they're called "Time Savers".

And if the tappets pump up (like they do) and you don't take them apart to get the oil out, could be even more bolts to remove/install to get the push rods back in.

If you enjoy doing that wasted work, more power to ya. Me... hate it, and that is what I see as unnecessary. With EZ Installs, cam or tappets out & in bing-badda-boom.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on August 20, 2020, 02:55:33 PM
Unnecessary, sure. But at least 21 less bolts to remove to get the push rods out. That why they're called "Time Savers".

And if the tappets pump up (like they do) and you don't take them apart to get the oil out, could be even more bolts to remove/install to get the push rods back in.

If you enjoy doing that wasted work, more power to ya. Me... hate it, and that is what I see as unnecessary. With EZ Installs, cam or tappets out & in bing-badda-boom.

-JW
Hey JW,  I agree with the convenience of EZ install adjustables.

I know some brands are probably better than others -- how do I tell what brand I have? There are no markings or labels. They are 24 tpi though and the threads, adjuster nuts are black, and the rods themselves were probably black at some point but are now a dull dark grey....
Could they be Crane? If like to know what I'm running.

Thanks

Deye76

Quote from: Racepres on August 20, 2020, 01:47:13 PM
Experience?????

I have more than that on Ironheads, Shovelheads and Dragbikes... but, I'm saying watch for the cheap "Potty mouth" on Evo parts.. and ... They are Largely Unnecessary...
Experience you say? Well,...if you were running Shovelheads then you were running adjustable's.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Deye76 on August 20, 2020, 04:06:11 PM
Experience?????

Experience you say? Well,...if you were running Shovelheads then you were running adjustable's.

:SM:      :up:

Adam76

Looks like these may be the ones I have?

JW113

I believe those are Screamin' Eagle. Which is what I have in my TC. Good ca-ca.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on August 20, 2020, 07:02:57 PM

-JW
👍  that'll do me.  Cheers

Adam76

-JW

EDIT:  mine are 24 tpi and the chart says SE adjustables are 32 tpi??

Hossamania

Four options:
Run them
Order new adjustables
Order new stock pushrods
Assemble, measure, order new custom pushrods
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FSG

Quote from: Adam76 on August 20, 2020, 07:36:30 PM

-JW

EDIT:  mine are 24 tpi and the chart says SE adjustables are 32 tpi??

they made both at one time

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on August 20, 2020, 07:49:15 PM
Four options:
Run them
Order new adjustables
Order new stock pushrods
Assemble, measure, order new custom pushrods
Easy big fella 😁  I am going to run them as previously stated, just was wondering which brand they were for info sake.
I'll shut up now. 👍
Cheers.

Hossamania

Sorry, I get a little wound up!
I've been running the SE adjustables in two different bikes for 150,000 miles with no problems.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on August 20, 2020, 08:11:44 PM
Sorry, I get a little wound up!
I've been running the SE adjustables in two different bikes for 150,000 miles with no problems.
All good man,  always appreciate your input. 

98fxstc

Racepres

Quote from: Deye76 on August 20, 2020, 04:06:11 PM
Experience?????

Really... I just Stated I have More than a Bunch of Miles on Adjustables... I still Do Not see the Advantage on an EVO
But... I don't change "Potty mouth" as often as Some, apparently..

Adam76

Yes, turned out a bit like that. But my original post was not a stock vs adjustable pushrod debate, it was about whether I had slightly bent pushrods and whether I should use them or use stock.  Funny how things get a little off track 😁

I'm sorted now, case closed.  Cheers

Hossamania

What, a technical thread going completely sideways? Never seen that before....

david lee

Quote from: Adam76 on August 21, 2020, 06:22:58 AM

Yes, turned out a bit like that. But my original post was not a stock vs adjustable pushrod debate, it was about whether I had slightly bent pushrods and whether I should use them or use stock.  Funny how things get a little off track 😁what was the culprit

I'm sorted now, case closed.  Cheers

Deye76

August 21, 2020, 04:52:47 PM #47 Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:27:23 PM by Deye76
Ok spin it how you want racepres, but re-read your posts.

turboprop

Dude, this top end project of your has been going on for ever. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

"Yes, turned out a bit like that. But my original post was not a stock vs adjustable pushrod debate, it was about whether I had slightly bent pushrods and whether I should use them or use stock.  Funny how things get a little off track 😁"

Let's be honest Adam, you are smart enough to know if you should use "slightly bent pushrods", or not. At roughly a hundred bucks, if you can't do that, owning one of these money pits is not for you. Best regatds.