April 19, 2024, 06:13:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Build progress and pushrod question

Started by Adam76, August 19, 2020, 06:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Oops wrong post.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Adam76

Quote from: turboprop on August 21, 2020, 05:33:06 PM
Dude, this top end project of your has been going on for ever.
First top end build, want to take it slow and enjoy the process, and there's lots for me to learn along the way. Sorry, probably boring for you gurus 😁

FXDBI

Quote from: Adam76 on August 21, 2020, 05:52:18 PM
First top end build, want to take it slow and enjoy the process, and there's lots for me to learn along the way. Sorry, probably boring for you gurus 😁

Is it winter there?  Bob

Adam76

Quote from: FXDBI on August 21, 2020, 05:54:19 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on August 21, 2020, 05:52:18 PM

Is it winter there?  Bob

Yes sir. It is.....

Adam76

August 22, 2020, 05:04:59 AM #54 Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 06:21:02 AM by Adam76
Yeah,  I feel a bit silly posting about my tiny little build that is probably very boring to most of you guys. 
Getting the cam chest together now after waiting 2 months for a new pinion shaft oil pump gear.  Things from over there take a while to get to us here downunder.... Then heads going back on.
Then starting on the primary with an energy one clutch pack, new cables and bars. Did a bolt on 4 piston Willwood caliper up front that is compatible with the '96 front brake m/c along with a new rotor.
10 week wait on my Thunderheader as well, should be here in a few weeks and then heat cycles, break in and up for a good tune.

Deye76

Looking good Adam. Your doing a fine job, from the pics.  :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Adam76

Quote from: Deye76 on August 22, 2020, 06:21:03 AM
Looking good Adam. Your doing a fine job, from the pics.  :up:
Cheers. Not without the help of the generous folk here. 👍 
I hope you guys have had a decent riding season over there.

98fxstc

August 22, 2020, 06:48:20 AM #57 Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 06:54:49 AM by 98fxstc
Quote from: Deye76 on August 21, 2020, 05:36:03 PM

Let's be honest Adam, you are smart enough to know if you should use "slightly bent pushrods", or not. At roughly a hundred bucks, if you can't do that, owning one of these money pits is not for you. Best regatds.

Things are a bit different Down Under
We pay twice as much for parts and wait a couple of weeks for them to turn up
They were going ok before dissassembly, some have said run them
If it was me, I would consider using a slightly bent pushrod (depending how bad) to do the heat cycles , maybe even break-in up to 3500 rpm while I was waiting for the parts to turn up

Don't see the reason for the attitude

98fxstc

You need someone to change the tv channel at home for you ?

Racepres

Quote from: 98fxstc on August 22, 2020, 06:51:22 AM

You Cats from down yonder are a rather rude lot...huh??
Luckily the Folks I met from W.A. VMC were a blast....

BTW
Quote from: Adam76 on August 21, 2020, 06:22:58 AM
Quote from: Deye76 on August 20, 2020, 12:53:32 PM
Like a oil thread  :hyst:
Good grief, like Hoss says, almost never hear of a failure. I've got a half million miles on adjustable's, never think about them.

Yes, turned out a bit like that. But my original post was not a stock vs adjustable pushrod debate, it was about whether I had slightly bent pushrods and whether I should use them or use stock.  Funny how things get a little off track 😁

I'm sorted now, case closed.  Cheers
My response was "Nothing wrong with Stock"
No Worries tho... I shall refrain...

Adam76

August 22, 2020, 06:58:15 AM #60 Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:23:46 AM by Adam76
Quote from: 98fxstc on August 22, 2020, 06:48:20 AM
Quote from: Deye76 on August 21, 2020, 05:36:03 PM
"Yes, turned out a bit like that. But my original post was not a stock vs adjustable pushrod debate, it was about whether I had slightly bent pushrods and whether I should use them or use stock.  Funny how things get a little off track 😁"

Let's be honest Adam, you are smart enough to know if you should use "slightly bent pushrods", or not. At roughly a hundred bucks, if you can't do that, owning one of these money pits is not for you. Best regatds.

Things are a bit different Down Under
We pay twice as much for parts and wait a couple of weeks for them to turn up
They were going ok before dissassembly, some have said run them
If it was me, I would consider using a slightly bent pushrod (depending how bad) to do the heat cycles , maybe even break-in up to 3500 rpm while I was waiting for the parts to turn up

Don't see the reason for the attitude

Seriously guys I need to see the record straight.

Read my first two posts..  or clearly states that I did NOT KNOW if I had  bent PRs or not, and what the best way to tell if I did?  I asked what a bent PR looked like, how many thou out of round is acceptable.  I never stated that I had bent ones...

If I knew that were bent, this thread wouldn't exist.

I don't appreciate the attitude either. I'm not blessed with the experience and knowledge most of you have and isn't that what this is all about?
I even support the site, if that tells you anything about my gratitude and respect.

98fxstc

Quote from: Racepres on August 22, 2020, 06:54:48 AM

Not at all
OP is looking for a bit of advice
Also a Site Supporter, contributing to the running costs of the site, some don't bother
quite a few here with different levels of knowledge and experience
Easy to move on if not interested, rather than post with attitude

Adam76

Quote from: Racepres on August 22, 2020, 06:54:48 AM

BTW
Quote from: Adam76 on August 21, 2020, 06:22:58 AM
Quote from: Deye76 on August 20, 2020, 12:53:32 PM
Like a oil thread  :hyst:
Good grief, like Hoss says, almost never hear of a failure. I've got a half million miles on adjustable's, never think about them.

Yes, turned out a bit like that. But my original post was not a stock vs adjustable pushrod debate, it was about whether I had slightly bent pushrods and whether I should use them or use stock.  Funny how things get a little off track 😁

I'm sorted now, case closed.  Cheers
My response was "Nothing wrong with Stock"
No Worries tho... I shall refrain...

Hmmmm..... where have I been rude Racepress?
Been very grateful actually.

Racepres

Quote from: Adam76 on August 22, 2020, 07:05:38 AM
Hmmmm..... where have I been rude Racepress?
Been very grateful actually.
Not Directed at You
Apologies if it came off that way...
Tho All have Ignored that I truly Did respond to the original Question...
look at the Quotes!!!
OK tho... Not the first time tech has been Rejected here at HTT

Hossamania

See what you started Adam? A simple pushrod question and the masses start fighting in the street. Heaven help us when the question of break-in oil gets asked!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Racepres

Quote from: Hossamania on August 22, 2020, 07:20:51 AM
See what you started Adam? A simple pushrod question and the masses start fighting in the street. Heaven help us when the question of break-in oil gets asked!
Johnsons baby oil????

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on August 22, 2020, 07:20:51 AM

Heaven hep us indeed. I won't be posting anymore questions for a while I think,  this one turned into a bit of a train wreck.  😮

Hossamania

It really did! Reminds me of "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne, it anyone has ever seen it. The big fight builds throughout the whole movie, and finally happens, a great fight scene. At one point, everybody watching the fight, having been waiting so long for it to happen, gets so wound up, they start fighting too, a complete melee ensues. Finally a gun is fired a couple times into the ground to get everyone's attention, and the announcement made, "This is to be kept between the two principles, if you don't mind!". Everyone looks around a little sheepishly, and the fight resumes where it left off.
I think of that scene often when things go sideways.

Ohio HD

Adam, just use a personal filter, meaning don't feel you need to respond to anything that isn't related to what question you asked. It's all good, we all started at the beginning at one point in our lives. Everyone here has the right to post, as well as has the right to not respond. 

Take your time, learn, do the job once.       :chop:

Deye76

August 22, 2020, 02:58:24 PM #69 Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 03:05:01 PM by Deye76
If I came off as negative, apologies, not my intention. Hell, I have a lot to learn myself, and do everyday. There are a lot of guys here, that know Evo's inside out, and give good advice. But sometimes the questions in a thread become redundant, and pointing them out, at least from where I sit, is innocent. When responding I should look at where the poster lives, as 98fxstc points out, it makes a difference. I do have a attitude when one guy continuously has to point his experience as superior over others. Not Adam. As for site support, that has nothing to do with this thread.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JW113

Damn, anyone else getting cranky and irritable from this shelter in place thing?

:banghead:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on August 22, 2020, 03:47:13 PM
Damn, anyone else getting cranky and irritable from this shelter in place thing?

:banghead:

-JW

Maybe...

Adam76

Quote from: Deye76 on August 22, 2020, 02:58:24 PM
If I came off as negative, apologies, not my intention. Hell, I have a lot to learn myself, and do everyday. There are a lot of guys here, that know Evo's inside out, and give good advice. But sometimes the questions in a thread become redundant, and pointing them out, at least from where I sit, is innocent. When responding I should look at where the poster lives, as 98fxstc points out, it makes a difference. I do have a attitude when one guy continuously has to point his experience as superior over others. Not Adam. As for site support, that has nothing to do with this thread.

Yes, agreed, and well said.    And when the original question becomes redundant it morphs into a different question like -  should I use bent pushrods or replace them?  or  adjustable vs stock pushrods? 
Then things get a little off track.

All good, l do use this site because I like the respect and integrity that the folks here have. Thumbs up to that.  👍

FSG

Scotty

Take as long as you like doing the job it's not a race it's all about doing it properly.
I did a primary / tranny full seal replacement the other day and the shop quoted him 8 hours labour.
I took my time and did it over 5 days and saved him $900.
Never a need to be in a rush.