March 28, 2024, 06:46:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Build progress and pushrod question

Started by Adam76, August 19, 2020, 06:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

QuoteNever a need to be in a rush

certainly not in this COVID time

Adam76

Quote from: FSG on August 23, 2020, 01:56:03 AM
QuoteNever a need to be in a rush

certainly not in this COVID time

Yep, got that right...

With the ev27 cam,  do you know anything about adding a little more lift with 1.7 ratio rockers?  Maybe intake  side only?

I've had the heads cleaned up, valve job,  squish set and 9,6 comp with forged pistons.

Thanks.

JW113

Almost certain it won't make any difference that you could tell or measure.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JW113

Adam, you've been a bit quiet. Any progress on your project?

:missed:

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on October 11, 2020, 10:42:51 AM
Adam, you've been a bit quiet. Any progress on your project?

:missed:

-JW

Hey JW, Yes been pretty quiet this end. Injured a disc in my back so been out of action for a while. Also been waiting on a proper full size bike lift to arrive so that I'm not bending over to work on it or lying on the ground so much  :idea:
Don't know why I didn't get one of these before I started the build....

Anyways, should be finishing off in the camchest in the next few days just have to check the clearances and then installing lifters and lifter blocks and the dropping the cylinders back on after having 8 thou off the bases to give me zero deck height. 👍

thunderrat

Adam76

October 18, 2020, 06:42:03 PM #81 Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:22:46 PM by Adam76
Quote from: thunderrat on October 12, 2020, 06:29:24 PM
Looking good Adam :up: :up:
Thanks 👍

Got the cam in and ended up needing to use the .065" shim that was already in there from the previous Andrews cam... Installed the new Ultima breather gear, ended up getting hold of an .118" metal shim for that, lined up all  the marks and buttoned the cover up.

Installed the lifters and tappet blocks which was interesting to do without the little magnet tool that holds the lifters from falling into the camchest, but got it eventually.

Next is installation of the new clutch cable and put the controls back up on the bars so that I can shift gears. I have it in first at the moment from getting it off  the old lift and onto the new full size hoist, so I need a way to get it back into 5th gear so I can put the cylinders back down over the pistons and heads on to check PTV clearance. Something I've never done before so looking forward to that, but progress is slow at the moment with a lot going on.

Pretty boring stuff for most you guys I know... 😁
Cheers. 

JW113

Just curious, why do you need controls on the bars to shift the transmission?

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on October 19, 2020, 11:15:20 AM
Just curious, why do you need controls on the bars to shift the transmission?

-JW
I need to get the trans from 1st to fifth, and I don't want to keep addicting the trans manually with no clutch cable - my clutch cable was removed and haven't installed the new one yet.
How can I safely shift the trans up to 5th without the clutch?
Thanks

Hossamania

If the motor is not running, just shift it. You will probably have to turn the rear wheel back and forth just a bit to get it to shift thru the gears, but it should shift.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Adam76

Thanks Hossamania,  that's good to know 👍  saves me having to hook up the clutch cable etc... Now I can get those cylinders on.
Cheers

I thought

JW113

Absolutely not necessary to pull the clutch to shift gears if the motor is not running, and absolutely will not hurt anything. What does help is to have the rear wheel off the ground, and turn it while you're changing gears.

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on October 19, 2020, 07:24:24 PM
Absolutely not necessary to pull the clutch to shift gears if the motor is not running, and absolutely will not hurt anything. What does help is to have the rear wheel off the ground, and turn it while you're changing gears.

-JW

Thanks JW. Back in 5th gear,  easy no probs.  Cylinders back on. Cheers.

Adam76

Heads are now on, made more progress today than I thought 😁

Even with my calculations, and machining the cylinder bases I still somehow ended up .005" in the hole with the pistons. Oh well, better being a little under than a little over.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Hossamania

JW113

Indeed! Can almost smell that first start up.

-JW

98fxstc

Probably too late now if you don't have them on hand
0.030" gaskets would be the go if you are 0.005" in the hole
I think I recall you decided on 0.036" with zero deck

kd

Quote from: 98fxstc on October 20, 2020, 02:03:05 PM

And a .027 Cometic will put you the equivilant af .002 in the hole.  A barely measurable difference.
KD

04rkryder

Congrats on your build.

Not doubting your numbers, just 1 question. You said "Even with my calculations, and machining the cylinder bases I still somehow ended up .005" in the hole with the pistons." How much was taken off the cylinders and what base gasket did you use. Guess that's 2 questions.

I'm looking at the same build and when I run the numbers I come up with .005 in the hole with a .020 base gasket and stock length cylinders

kd

Quote from: Adam76 on October 19, 2020, 10:09:58 PM
Heads are now on, made more progress today than I thought 😁

Even with my calculations, and machining the cylinder bases I still somehow ended up .005" in the hole with the pistons. Oh well, better being a little under than a little over.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Of course if you are anal like some of us, now is the time to slip the barrels off and give them a trim.  In reality, you can measure and calculate all you want, but the proof is checking it during assembly.  Now you can choose to fix it easily or later  .......
KD

JW113

Leave it. Classic case of too much info that won't make a bit of difference how your bike will run.

In my opinion, that is...
:SM:

-JW

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on October 21, 2020, 09:14:52 AM
Leave it. Classic case of too much info that won't make a bit of difference how your bike will run.

-JW

I tend to agree with this, you're not building a high strung every 100th of a second counts track bike, this a good running reliable street bike that will be ridden daily and bring a smile every time. You e already gone further with the work you've done than most would. Get it back together, fire it up, do some tuning, and enjoy!

Adam76

October 22, 2020, 06:50:10 AM #97 Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:12:26 AM by Adam76
Quote from: 04rkryder on October 20, 2020, 02:53:09 PM
Congrats on your build.

Not doubting your numbers, just 1 question. You said "Even with my calculations, and machining the cylinder bases I still somehow ended up .005" in the hole with the pistons." How much was taken off the cylinders and what base gasket did you use. Guess that's 2 questions.

I'm looking at the same build and when I run the numbers I come up with .005 in the hole with a .020 base gasket and stock length cylinders

Ok cool. So I used .020 Cometic base gaskets and I took .008 off the bases to get to what I had thought was going to be zero deck height or just under by one or two thou.... but I made the mistake of checking deck height without the cyl base gaskets installed and used an assumption of the gasket thickness in my final equation instead of the real thing by actually checking it properly.... I reckon I was off by 3 or 4  thou so don't make the same mistake! Bolt everything up properly and take your time with the measurements. Good luck with the build.

Adam76

October 22, 2020, 06:54:39 AM #98 Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:02:17 AM by Adam76
Quote from: Hossamania on October 21, 2020, 12:03:46 PM
Quote from: JW113 on October 21, 2020, 09:14:52 AM

-JW

I tend to agree with this, you're not building a high strung every 100th of a second counts track bike, this a good running reliable street bike that will be ridden daily and bring a smile every time. You e already gone further with the work you've done than most would. Get it back together, fire it up, do some tuning, and enjoy!

Thanks JW and Hossamania, I should have been more clear in my post that I have no intention at all of pulling the jugs again for more machining 😂 I was just pointing out that I was a little lazy in my measurements and calculations for deck height and it resulted in being a little further down the hole than I was aiming for. No big deal at all for this build.

Yes, I used a  .030 Cometic HG and it's all buttoned up now. 👍

Adam76

Quote from: 98fxstc on October 20, 2020, 02:03:05 PM
Hey 98, Yes I did use .030 Cometic HGs and ended up with a squish of. 035 which is really not that far off the mark, so all should be well. I really do not want to spend anymore time or money on this part of the build..... For starters, I can't find me a set of nice slip on mufflers anywhere!!?  Dynas yes,  but seems like no one makes performance slip on mufflers for evo heritage softails?? All I want is a nice set of tapered turbo slip ons for my factory header pipe with the cross over. Anyways, moving along.
Cheers