March 29, 2024, 02:15:54 AM

News:

1994 Road King Clutch Adjustment issues.

Started by cycocycle, August 22, 2020, 12:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cycocycle

I adjusted the clutch a couple of weeks ago but it started to get difficult to select a gear and no way would it select neutral if it wasn't moving. Decided to adjust it again today......
I slackened everything off as usual. Then I hand tightened the pushrod adjuster, backed it out 3/4 of a turn and tightened the locknut. So far so good.
I started to adjust out the cable but I noticed that the lever wasn't moving away from the bar. Eventually it moved out about half way to full out. Squeezing the lever felt like the cable was seized. I tried everything to get it adjusted. I eventually decided I need to take off the right side cover to check the balls and ramps.
Once the cover was off all seemed OK. I could have left it in place and returned the arm through the oil filler as it turned out. ##@$$%##@%.
Anyway I refitted the cover, slacked the outer cable totally, adjusted the pushrod, tightened the locknut and had the same issue when I tightened the outer cable. Felt like I was stretching the cable with only barely noticeable movement of the clutch pack. Tried slackening it, returning the actuator arm through the filler hole of the right side cover and adjusting again. Same result. It has an EZ pull clutch but that was fine up to now.
Anyone got any ideas where I ****ed up and how much am I in the hole for? Wondering is the clutch itself ****ed because I can't see any other obvious issues and it may have been deteriorating for a while.

cycocycle

Turns out that my girlfriend has been right about me all along. I'm a fucking dumbass. My method was completely wrong which resulted in me adjusting the pushrod with the lever back to the bar which meant there was no further movement. Its a learning opportunity (wish I hadnt taken off the exhaust  though)

motorhogman

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Hossamania

Who among us hasn't done similar? Chase a problem the wrong way? I changed a clutch cable for a friend, it was acting up like yours, pulled the exhaust and cover again, then realized I had not readjusted the rod. Didn't think it was necessary. Turns out I'm an idiot occasionally. And by occasionally, I mean a couple times a day.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Hossamania

Quote from: cycocycle on August 22, 2020, 01:04:14 AM
Turns out that my girlfriend has been right about me all along. I'm a "Potty mouth"king dumbass. My method was completely wrong which resulted in me adjusting the pushrod with the lever back to the bar which meant there was no further movement. Its a learning opportunity (wish I hadnt taken off the exhaust  though)

Don't feel bad, see the thread about a strange noise, the op disassembled his primary and transmission, turned out to be a wheel bearing. You're not alone.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

cycocycle

Quote from: motorhogman on August 22, 2020, 06:23:57 AM
Time for a factory SM..?
Maybe to beat myself over the head with.
Once I took a step back and thought about it logically, it was sorted in 10 minutes.

guido4198

I'll add my own confession, just as a "Cautionary Tale" to others.
Bike was giving me starting problems. I purchased and replaced..one piece at a time, just about everything in the "starter circuit" on my bike, EXCEPT the battery because it was a brand new HD Gel Mat battery, so that COULDN'T be the problem.
You know the rest of the story, when I finally had the battery tested by someone who knew what they were doing...
BAD BATTERY. Dealer exchanged it for me, no questions asked.
The good news is that now I have a few extra parts, which is never a bad thing for a 1985 FXR as parts are getting increasingly difficult to find anyhow. 

Scootrskum

Don't beat yourself up. I've been there done that more than I care to admit. The great part about it is you're doing your own wrenching. That's part of the fun of owning a Harley!

david lee

Quote from: guido4198 on August 23, 2020, 02:26:07 AM
I'll add my own confession, just as a "Cautionary Tale" to others.
Bike was giving me starting problems. I purchased and replaced..one piece at a time, just about everything in the "starter circuit" on my bike, EXCEPT the battery because it was a brand new HD Gel Mat battery, so that COULDN'T be the problem.
You know the rest of the story, when I finally had the battery tested by someone who knew what they were doing...
BAD BATTERY. Dealer exchanged it for me, no questions asked.
The good news is that now I have a few extra parts, which is never a bad thing for a 1985 FXR as parts are getting increasingly difficult to find anyhow.
first culprit ... the battery

Burnout

It's really cheap to charge the battery fully and do a load test....
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"