April 23, 2024, 12:09:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

primary belt

Started by david lee, August 25, 2020, 01:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

cant remember if i posted this q before..how long would one expect the inch and half primo belt to last..mines been on for around 30 yrs has no cracks and done around 10,000 easy klms if that. thanks

76shuvlinoff

Can't tell you how long it would last, lots of variables. At 30 years I'd change it out, save the old one at an emergency spare.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

motorhogman

After breaking 2 Primo belts in a short time I switched my 73 shovel over to a Karata belt.. That was over 30 years ago.. Sold the bike to a friend (RIP) about 20 years ago and he was hell on wheels with it,  His brother has the bike now and it still has the same Karata belt on it.. He also had a 50 pan chopper with a belt drive with over 30 years of time on it.  Me....I'd change it unless all you do is short rides.. As said.. save it for a spare.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

david lee

around 5 yrs ago when the clutch hub was changed i said to my hd mech check the belt and was told its in exellent condition. thanks

Hillside Motorcycle

We used to push over 145 ft/lbs and 170 hp thru Primo belts on our AHDRA Mod bike.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

Is that with an inch and half belt?

JW113

In first gear, the rear belt sees 3x as much torque as the primary belt does. Is anybody worried that the rear belt is only 1-1/2 or even 1-1/8? Anybody other than the drag race dudes.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

yrs ago a mate had his rear belt break on his 93 fxr in the middle of no where. luck he was in a group who organised a pick up and spend 1hr on the side of the road

JW113

The only time I recall seeing a rear belt break was due to a rock getting in it. Other than that, they seem pretty damn reliable. The one in my '91 had 175,000 miles on it when my brother in law took it 16 years ago, and as far as I know, it's still there.

-JW

Hossamania

Had a friend with a shovel, 93" motor, broke 1.5" primary belts on a regular basis. He was the kind of guy that could break a ball bearing in a round room.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

And I broke one in my Shovelhead, for no apparent reason. Just taking off nicely from a stoplight, then no power. Pushed it home (a mile & change), removed belt set up, installed chain set up, has been trouble free ever since. All I can say about belt primary, it's not for everyone...

-JW

david lee

August 27, 2020, 01:55:30 AM #11 Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:26:55 AM by david lee
Quote from: JW113 on August 26, 2020, 06:41:58 PM
And I broke one in my Shovelhead, for no apparent reason. Just taking off nicely from a stoplight, then no power. Pushed it home (a mile & change), removed belt set up, installed chain set up, has been trouble free ever since. All I can say about belt primary, it's not for everyone...

-JW
i thought about that at one stage

kd

I did the same with my 56 stroker / Primo set-up after breaking one.  I realized it could happen when I was 1,000 miles away and in Canada you didn't just get it overnight from California back then.  :crook:
KD

david lee

Quote from: kd on August 29, 2020, 05:59:24 AM
I did the same with my 56 stroker / Primo set-up after breaking one.  I realized it could happen when I was 1,000 miles away and in Canada you didn't just get it overnight from California back then.  :crook:
maybe they just dont like horsepower. mines just a cruisin stock shovel

JW113

Mine too. Like I said, just pulling away from a stop light...

I would not suggest you replace your belt set up just because of my bad luck. If/when you have your own bad luck, something to think about. What I would be willing to wager almost anything, primary belts break more often than chains. In fact, I have never heard of a primary chain breaking. Except for Turbo, and that was because something else broke first as I recall.

-JW

kd

Quote from: JW113 on August 29, 2020, 03:49:23 PM
Mine too. Like I said, just pulling away from a stop light...

I would not suggest you replace your belt set up just because of my bad luck. If/when you have your own bad luck, something to think about. What I would be willing to wager almost anything, primary belts break more often than chains. In fact, I have never heard of a primary chain breaking. Except for Turbo, and that was because something else broke first as I recall.

-JW

:embarrassed:  Actually I broke a chain on that same bike too.  I was hundreds of miles from home passing a car on a highway in farm country.  It piled up in the back of the primary and locked the rear wheel just as I was at the car's front bumper but not in front of it.  :dgust:  I did a controlled skid off into a field.The difference was that I was able to get a length of double row 60 and a master link at a farm supply and get back in gear in a couple of hours.  I was glad I turfed the belt that day. :wink:
KD

JW113

OK, so you're number two for me, but you have to admit, a broken primary chain is a rare event on a Harley-Davidson. Belts, not so much. What do you suppose inspired the chain to break?

-JW

bump

I run a 1 1/2"  132 tooth belt in enclosed primary, have done so for 40 years. I have broke belt doing burnout and just pulling away from stop. Broke maybe 4 or 5 belts over the years. The last one was about 10 years ago and I knew it was getting bad. It is not as hard to install new belt as it is to install new chain.

kd

Quote from: JW113 on August 29, 2020, 07:27:20 PM
OK, so you're number two for me, but you have to admit, a broken primary chain is a rare event on a Harley-Davidson. Belts, not so much. What do you suppose inspired the chain to break?

-JW

Ohhh, nuthin.  :unsure:  I found a weak link?   Seriously, I did daily burnouts and wheelies on a sticky 15" radial car tire and it had been a while since the primary was off for inspection.   :nix:
KD

JW113

Quote from: bump on August 30, 2020, 04:32:23 AM
It is not as hard to install new belt as it is to install new chain.

No argument. But of the two, which one is more likely to never need to be installed? I really, really hate getting stranded. And in the last 40 years and many bikes, the one time a primary drive stranded me was a belt. Well, not stranded, I was close enough to push the bike back home. Not that that wasn't a little bit embarrassing. Fool me twice...

Like I said, belt primary ain't for everybody. If you're having good luck with them, that's fantastic.

-JW

Trouble

Alignment of motor and tranny first. Then I found running one tooth looser than instructions called for stopped belts from breaking. Open primary 1 1/2" 11mm Primo belt with sealed bearing roller adjuster. Setup 24 years old now, don't use it much anymore, but broke the Ton with a Ducati rider last week. no problems. Lost my license plate.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on August 30, 2020, 11:05:59 AM
Quote from: bump on August 30, 2020, 04:32:23 AM
It is not as hard to install new belt as it is to install new chain.

No argument. But of the two, which one is more likely to never need to be installed? I really, really hate getting stranded. And in the last 40 years and many bikes, the one time a primary drive stranded me was a belt. Well, not stranded, I was close enough to push the bike back home. Not that that wasn't a little bit embarrassing. Fool me twice...

Like I said, belt primary ain't for everybody. If you're having good luck with them, that's fantastic.

-JW
could be why they invented mobile phones

kd

August 31, 2020, 05:42:32 PM #22 Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:28:58 PM by kd
It must be nice to have total cell tower coverage wherever you are. :emsad:
KD

crock

Quote from: kd on August 31, 2020, 05:42:32 PM
It must be nice to have total cell tower coverage wherever you are. :emsad:

Not to Hi Jack the thread but 20 years ago I had a sat phone that looked like the early bag phones. Fit in a saddle bag nicely Calls cost a dollar a minute. Pricey but had service ANYWHERE I went. Cell phones became popular and I quit using it. Don't know what ever happened to it
Crock

76shuvlinoff

I always thought oil was bad for belts.... and my shovel has rarely been drip free.  :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway