March 28, 2024, 02:00:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ebay CV carburators

Started by Dyna Jay, August 25, 2020, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyna Jay

August 25, 2020, 06:14:10 PM Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:18:15 PM by Dyna Jay
Has anyone tried one of these new CV carburators off ebay? They look well made. I'm curious to the quality of them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183260685375
Ride on.

Hillside Motorcycle

Those are NOT like a genuine CV.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JW113

I bought one on a whim, it's on my '78 Sportster.

Hillside, what do you mean "not like a genuine CV"? No, they are not made by Keihin. That said, from what I can see, they are essentially identical to a Keihin CV. I've not yet found any parts from a Keihin CV that won't interchange on one of these Chinese (???) made carbs. Keihin no longer makes these carbs. Did Keihin sell the tooling to somebody, who is now making repops, the way GM sold a lot of their tooling to Classic Industries?

The one I have on my XL runs perfectly. I used a Daytona Sensors WEGO II to dial it in dead nuts on. Could not be happier.

But, that is just one guy's experience with these knock-offs. I'm sure others might not have had the same outcome.

I am a big fan of the CV carb, I have one on every one of my HDs. The newest used CV is now 15 years old, if you can find one that new. The oldest ones are almost 30 years old. Carbs indeed do wear out in time. So the question posed to the fans of the CV carb, what are your options at this point?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JohnnyCashPan

Quote from: JW113 on August 26, 2020, 12:08:08 PM
...Carbs indeed do wear out in time. So the question posed to the fans of the CV carb, what are your options at this point?

-JW

You're absolutely right about carbs wearing out.
I've got two decent CV carbs by way of installing S&S "E"s for local riders.  They told me to keep them and I did.
If I didn't have them, it would be a Mikuni or S&S E.  I consider the Mikunis to be a hassle to set up but my neighbor did his on his Road King, and I'm impressed with the results he got.
Old, slow and fat...

CraigArizona85248

I just ordered this one for about 1/2 the price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CV-40mm-Carburetor-For-Harley-Davidson-Sportster-883-1200-Electra-Glide-27490-04/352769998214

I'll post about the quality after I get it and tear it down to look at it.

-Craig

CraigArizona85248

September 24, 2020, 01:54:13 PM #5 Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:00:51 PM by CraigArizona85248
Ok, I spent less than $60 for the carb I linked to above.  It arrived today.  I haven't had a chance to tear it down yet, but from a casual inspection, if this had the bar & shield logo in the side of the carb body, I would think it was an OEM carburetor.  The only difference I can see externally, is that the throttle linkage hardware is silver instead of having the gold tint that the OEM linkage has.  It has the brass fuel inlet tube instead of the plastic tube that the OEM carb had (the brass inlet was a common upgrade after the plastic broke).  The carb comes with one slow jet installed (unknown size at this time) and three extra slow jets (180, 185, and 195).  It comes with one main jet installed (unknown size at this time) and three extra main jets (42, 45, and 48).  It also came with some useless pieces... a really cheap fuel filter (toss it), 2 cheap fuel lines (toss them), and a random spark plug... just one.   :hyst:

I'll update again after I get a look at the internals.  But for less than $60, so far, I'm impressed!

-Craig

CraigArizona85248

The jets I mentions in the previous post...

Deye76

I was hoping to see pics of the fuel lines and filter. :hyst:
Thanks for the report.  :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

CraigArizona85248

Ok, I tore it down and looked at the insides. Everything looks pretty much like OEM with a few exceptions.

1) The slide spring is very different from OEM. Shorter and a different number of windings. I don't have a way to measure the spring rate, but if it varies from OEM by much, that's going to have a big impact on the carbs performance.

2) The Jets look a little sloppy. They just aren't as nicely made as OEM.

3) The emulsifier tube is very different from OEM. The OEM part has a series of holes drilled down the length of the tube. This one is smooth, no holes.

4) There are no markings on the slide needle to identify it's profile. I've always preferred the N75E needle that came on the 80's/early-90's Sportster.

I'm going to try the carb out on my panhead. But I'm going to swap the slide spring, slide needle, and use my OEM Jets and emulsifier tube.

Hossamania

Watching this to see how it turns out for you.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

The description of spring, jets, emulsion tube sound a lot like what was sold with the "Dynojet Kit". Which was advertised in theory to "improve performance and throttle response", but in practice cut fuel mileage in half. You're right to changing those parts to OEM.

Oh, one thing I did find different with the one I bought vs. OEM: The hardware is metric. Might want to check that with yours and beware.

-JW

Buglet

I install enough Dyno Jets kits over the years and once done right you mileage would stay the same or I've seen it even increase. The big reason for the decrease is people are always in it to hear the exhaust. Normal driving will give you normal gas mileage.

cheech

Quote from: Deye76 on September 24, 2020, 03:54:44 PM

Me also.

You voided the warranty by taking it apart.  :bike:

Hossamania

Quote from: Deye76 on September 24, 2020, 03:54:44 PM

Pics of those are in the link Craig posted. I wouldn't have used them either!

Hossamania

September 25, 2020, 06:46:17 PM #14 Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:50:54 PM by Hossamania
Delete, don't want to hijack

Scotty

I hope it's better than the one I tried around couple of years ago the stock jets and emulsifier would not screw in because they were a different thread.
There were other problems as well and it went in the junk pile and finally made it's way to the bin where it belonged  :hyst:

JW113

Well that's a shame. The one I bought is and has been working great. I wish this company making them would offer a CV-51 for $100!

-JW

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on September 26, 2020, 09:20:30 AM
Well that's a shame. The one I bought is and has been working great. I wish this company making them would offer a CV-51 for $100!

-JW

And a 44!

Hybredhog

Quote from: Hossamania on September 26, 2020, 04:53:14 PM
Quote from: JW113 on September 26, 2020, 09:20:30 AM

-JW

And a 44!

Bore a stock /Chinese one to 44mm & use a butterfly out of an old early Kehin. you'll break into some dead cavities around the slide rails, which you can epoxy in & clean up. Not sure if Chinese ones have the same passage work, but for the price it may fly.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

CraigArizona85248

Ok, I'm off work this week and finally took the time to install the repop CV40 on my panhead. The result is a little mixed. Turns out the accelerator pump in the repop is total "Potty mouth"
. In a Keihin CV40 there is a tiny bypass pinhole in the passage that feeds the fuel to the brass nozzle. This is all part of the carb bowl. The "pinhole" in the passage of the repop carb is big enough to drive a truck through. This means the accelerator pump squirts just a tiny bit of fuel when you twist the grip (90% of it exits back into the bowl via the bypass hole. The motor is about impossible to start on a cold day with this non-functional accelerator pump. Other than that, and the issues with the Jets and emulsion tube mentioned in my previous post. I swapped the bowl with the properly working accelerator pump onto the repop carb and it works really well. A little disappointed that they totally screwed up the accelerator pump but for the money, I guess that's too be expected.

-Craig

Tynker

Back in the day, we used to JB Weld that bypass hole. It would give you a longer squirt  through the brass tube.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

thumper 823

The observation is this -
This happens over and over again, someone pays out thousands to millions for R&D.
These thieves  come along and counterfeit YOUR product, logo, box and all and reap the rewards
of someone else's hard work!
Would we like it if it happened to us?
I for my part would not be part, parcel, or accomplice to this outright thievery.
We all should stand a little taller and make every attempt not to support this espionage and sellouts of someone else's  efforts hard work!
The counterfeit market is a big deal.
Even spark plugs are being made and labeled genuine.
Just a tiny bit of research   https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=counterfit+chinease+parts

should wake us up!
let's all strive to do the right thing.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Burnout

Quote from: Buglet on September 25, 2020, 02:06:11 PM
   I install enough Dyno Jets kits over the years and once done right you mileage would stay the same or I've seen it even increase. The big reason for the decrease is people are always in it to hear the exhaust. Normal driving will give you normal gas mileage.

I have had multiple mentors regarding Harley tuning and spent a lot of time running two dynos. (And I have been to the DynoJet Injection School (power commander))
Between my own ministrations and my mentors opinion, a Dynojet kit is not a good choice for a CV carb.
I have never been satisfied with a dynojet kit and always remove them when asked to tune a CV.
I'm not the only one here who has the same opinion.

I'd like to know what you have done differently to make that jet kit work as advertised?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

billbuilds

January 10, 2021, 03:56:00 AM #23 Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:03:38 AM by billbuilds
     I am going to stay away from the made in China stuff. Made in Taiwan, maybe but made in China? Absolutely no and I'm not going to nor should I have to elaborate.  :wink:  If they weren't so horrorifically expensive it'd be a Mikuni 40mm flat slide easy kit. I had one on my 1983 FLHS 80"er with a Crane 288-2B and I loved it. I thought that the CV40 would be a bettter choice so I let the Mik slip away and I must tell you that I regret it. Still have the cam though.  Bill

Hilly13

There a couple of genuine CV carbs for sale on bookface, think it was one of the FXR groups but it popped up this morning in my feed, might be worth a look?
Just because its said don't make it so