April 16, 2024, 04:06:59 AM

News:

Slip On recommendations

Started by ken6217, August 28, 2020, 06:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken6217

Can anyone recommend a quiet muffler that makes power for an '04 RK 95" with S&S Power Tune Dual Headers (2-1-2), DM 510 cams, TTS Mastertune.

I currently have Crusher Mellows and believe it or not they are too loud for me. I must be really getting old.

Tommy D

https://supertrapp.com/supertrapp-728-78054-megaphone-series-slip-ons-slash-cut-harley-davidson-flh-flt-95-16-chrome

Quote from: ken6217 on August 28, 2020, 06:19:55 PM
Can anyone recommend a quiet muffler that makes power for an '04 RK 95" with S&S Power Tune Dual Headers (2-1-2), DM 510 cams, TTS Mastertune.

I currently have Crusher Mellows and believe it or not they are too loud for me. I must be really getting old.
Acts 4:12

harpwrench

Supertrapp fatshots (or the screamin eagle version) have full length cores. The megaphones aren't as quiet, shorter cores.

wolf_59

Quote from: harpwrench on August 28, 2020, 06:34:04 PM
Supertrapp fatshots (or the screamin eagle version) have full length cores. The megaphones aren't as quiet, shorter cores.
:up:  :up: I run these ( the SE version) on my 06 Ultra 95" 10-1 cr S&S 551 cams , with a 09 2-1-2 exhaust with closed end caps and 18 disc each 

rhuff

Supertrapp would be the safest bet and a good performer

Chromewerks would be my next recommendation.  Between the Supertrapp and Crusher for sound and a good performer too. 

ken6217

Thanks all for the recommendation. I'll look at Supertrapp. I had Supertrapp, 2-1 on my '06 Ultra.

I was surprised at the volume of the Crushers. I may be getting old, but they definite weren't mellow. The main issue is the droning when you're cruising at 3000 - 3500 RPM. If you had to pick a spot that you didn't want to hear droning, it would be right there.

Thanks again!

ken6217

Chippitt68, your inbox is full.

ken6217

One more question, does there SE version use discs? Here is from their catalogue:

SE's race-proven baffle gives you 10-12% more hp. These are
non disc-based. King of bottom-mid range torque. 3dB louder than stock, but SAE-J2825 sound compliant. Steel, Chrome-Plated shells. Steel core. Internal baffle heat shield keeps them bluing-free. Compatible with 15 end caps. SE's are commonly known as the "old H-D Performance II muffler", which our 15 end caps also fit. SE's include a non-serviceable core, meaning that their core cannot be re-packed, only replaced. An optional replacement core is sold separately and will make the SE's rebuildable.

harpwrench

August 29, 2020, 08:06:51 PM #8 Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:11:43 PM by harpwrench
Another idea would be a set of twin cam 110 cvo mufflers, and punch through or cut out the butt plug. I'm running a set on my V111 and it hauls the mail quietly. You can pick them up pretty cheap sometimes, I gave 100 for a set and had another set given to me.

wolf_59

Quote from: ken6217 on August 29, 2020, 07:30:38 PM
One more question, does there SE version use discs? Here is from their catalogue:

SE's race-proven baffle gives you 10-12% more hp. These are
non disc-based. King of bottom-mid range torque. 3dB louder than stock, but SAE-J2825 sound compliant. Steel, Chrome-Plated shells. Steel core. Internal baffle heat shield keeps them bluing-free. Compatible with 15 end caps. SE's are commonly known as the "old H-D Performance II muffler", which our 15 end caps also fit. SE's include a non-serviceable core, meaning that their core cannot be re-packed, only replaced. An optional replacement core is sold separately and will make the SE's rebuildable.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/screamin-eagle-fatshotz-2-into-2-slip-on-mufflers/p/80847-10
I bought mine off eBay barely used

ken6217

I think I misunderstood after the first couple of replies.

So when you say Supertrapp Fatshots, or Screaming Eagle version. The Screaming Eagle are Harley, and not Supertrapp?

I'm asking because I see in the Supertrapp catalogue they have a SE Series, and wondered if that was what was meant. Here us a screenshot from the catalogue.

mkd

ken!~ supertrapp now makes the kerker mufflers that have been around for years. Harley had them as off road touring mufflers in their screaming eagle line. they have full length baffles and end tips can be of your choosing. i ran turn down tips and howitzer tips on my 2005 bagger. same mufflers were on the bike when i sold it in 2018 with 70,000 miles. nice sound but not so loud i couldn't enjoy the music

harpwrench

The SE are called fatshotz instead of fatshots, 80847-10
Night sticks look the same but i believe they have a solid tube instead of a perforated core, you don't want those

ken6217

Any reason why recommending the Screaming Eagle version over the Supertrapp? I have to decide by tomorrow. I'm lucky that the shop will take back my Crushers.

Thanks!

harpwrench

Fatshots and fatshotz are the same muffler as far as I know, used to be able to get the SE cheaper but I don't know if that's still the case-

wolf_59

Not that I can think of my only goal was to install a tunable muffler that performed better than stock without droning, my only suggestion is to get the closed end caps to go with them
The Screaming Eagle Fatshotz come with the EPA stamping on them if that matters to you

ken6217

Do the SR Fatshotz have catalytic converters in them?

harpwrench

wolf_59

ken6217

I ended up going with the Supertrapp Fatshots. Thanks for all of the replies.