March 29, 2024, 02:14:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bendix carb support

Started by sharkoilfield, August 29, 2020, 08:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

August 29, 2020, 08:44:03 AM Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 01:42:36 PM by FSG
How about a carb support from motor mount to top manifold/carb bolt? I have some heavy stainless sheet metal bracket material to use...would it work or am I missing something here?  Don't see it on the aftermarket but I have seen pics on the net.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

JW113

I have one on mine, but it goes from that upper carb bolt over to the left side head-head-ignition switch bracket, and uses the bolt that holds on the ignition switch. I added this when I was using the rubber band type manifold seals, and actually had the carb fall out of them while on a break in ride. Since then, I went back to the O-ring seals, and use those Harddrive solid brass clamps. Now, that added support is basically overkill. The carb is clamped to the intake spigots rock solid.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

bobrk1

I  had mine  run from  the  case bolt between  the  cylinders  to  bottom  bolt  on  my  su  carb , also  used  the clamps  that  had a  stud so  could  tighten  up  with  a  socket . I had  the  oring  set up  and  would  wrap  electric  tape  around  the  orings , tape  melt never  leak.

Burnout

The problem with that is that all of the weight is out at the filter, bracing it at the manifold makes a teeter totter with the air filter having a leverage advantage. Only slightly better than no brace.

Bracing from the air filter backing plate to the lifter is best.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

sharkoilfield

Some food for thought here; I see a clean aftermarket piece that bolts on the lower centre of the "V"...I have the Ram Flow oval foam air cleaner

sharkoilfield

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Well, this is what I went with. It's solid...a pain to install. Had the carb totally disassembled and ultrasonic cleaned by an expert. Soon we start it up! Just waiting on tins at the painters