March 28, 2024, 02:51:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Narrower 16” tire

Started by sharkoilfield, August 29, 2020, 08:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

My XLCH has a 130/90 16 rear on a Lester mag. I'm looking for the 18" Morris, but in the meantime what if I replace the tire with a 110/90 16 if there is such a tire out there? The 130 is perilously close to brake rod and chainguard...the origional 4.25" would translate to a 108mm

JW113

If you're worried about it, Metzler makes a 120/16 (MR90-16). Unless it's actually rubbing, I would not worry about it though. I also have a 130/16 on the rear, mounted on a 3.5" Akront aluminum rim, so it's even wider at the sidewall, and is pretty close to the chain. But no contact is no contact, so....  :idunno:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

bobrk1

Ran a  130 for  years  no problem , if it's  a  spoke wheel  and  you  have  room  on other  side  you  can  have  it offset  a little , I did 

Burnout

Fairly certain OEM 16" rears were MT90 not a 130.
I think the only way you can do a 130 is on a disc brake wheel or by offsetting the rim on the hub.
Many earlier models (drum brake) will not tolerate a wide tire. Both chain and fender clearance issues.
Offsetting the rear rim may make the bike turn better one way than the other.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

sharkoilfield

I've scored the correct Borrani rear wheel, complete, and put a new OEM sized rear tire on it...trued and balanced; bearings are good...now to put it on AND find a  >'78 19" front for the dual disc upgrade the previous owner did. Currently has the Morris rim