April 23, 2024, 03:13:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

jingling noise on 03 ultra

Started by chas, August 29, 2020, 10:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

I have what sounds like a jingling noise coming from twin cam on left side. It doesn't do it at idle and when i pull in the clutch it stops, but gradually starts again, even more slowly in the higher gears. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

xlfan

Alternator output, battery charge is ok?

chas

it sounds like what a loose washer would sound like. I put in new stator and regulator in the spring. I didn't see anything that would be loose or making the noise

Hossamania

August 29, 2020, 08:46:29 PM #3 Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:55:04 PM by Hossamania
I was hearing something similar, figured my compensator was on its last leg, and accidentally found that the rubber horn mount had ripped, and the horn was vibrating enough to hit the cylinder slightly and make a little ringing sound like a bell. It also added a random vibration. For now it's zip tied, I have a new mount to be installed sometime soon.
On my other bike I found the chrome cover on the starter was loose, causing a ringing/rattle. That one also had the passenger floorboard rattling. Together, they made a hell of a racket at times.
Also be aware that sound travels, and it may be coming from somewhere other than the left side. Using a rubber mallet to tap different areas of the bike may find something.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

chas

ok thanks Hoss, I will check out what you said!

Ohio HD

If you don't find anything externally as a cause, you may want to look at the compensator nut, see that it's tight. Also if it's tight, that the compensator isn't rattling behind the nut. Some info here.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,110781.msg1321245.html#msg1321245

Trouble

Jingling noise on my '04RK turned out to be the front motor mount thru bolt that had loosened and the large flat washer under the nut was making the racket.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

calif phil

Check the two upper motor mount bolts, if they come loose the washer can make some noise. 

Skin

September 01, 2020, 03:17:39 AM #8 Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:09:35 AM by FSG
Found this the other day on a bike in the shop, had a sound like you described.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

chas

What the hell is that and where did you find it making the noise?

chas

i went to start bike today and it started with a screeching noist like a fan belt not turning, coming from the primary along with the faint jingling noise i heard before. Took off the primary cover and everything looked normal! Compensator nut was tight, did notice some very small metal filings in the fluid when drained. I'm thinking i have a clutch issue if i'm hearing a screeching noise and there are filings. Would compensator make a screeching noise or jingling noise? What do you think?

Burnout

If it was accompanied by a primary oil leak I'd point my finger at the mainshaft support bearing.
But it sure seems like it would show some debris in the bottom of the primary.
What does the trans oil look like?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

kd

Did you check the metal filings with a magnet?
KD

Skin

Chas, that's whats left of the 90 deg bracket that mounts the crossover exhaust to bracket bolted to the starter. When I pulled the inner primary off it was in behind the trans pulley. how it never wedged and caused more damage is a little puzzling.

chas

The tranny fluid looked ok. The screeching noise makes sense that it would come from the bearing, but the jingling noise still has me puzzled

Hossamania

Could be two separate issues, just coincidental.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

chas

I'm thinking it is two separate issues. I didn't check filings with a magnet but checked them out when i slowly poured the primary oil into the waste jug.Very small with a couple pieces that were curled in a circle about 1/4" in diameter.

kd

Quote from: chas on September 02, 2020, 03:41:47 AM
I'm thinking it is two separate issues. I didn't check filings with a magnet but checked them out when i slowly poured the primary oil into the waste jug.Very small with a couple pieces that were curled in a circle about 1/4" in diameter.

Definitely not from normal wear.  It would probably help you to know if aluminum or steel. I would guess the long curls to be aluminum and likely from the clutch basket dragging on the chain case. How was your primary chain tension?
KD

chas

It looked like aluminum, silvery tiny flakes a few curled pieces. I had replaced the tensioner back in March about 5k. It looked like it was in the same position i tightened it to.

kd

My thoughts based on the info provided are the squeal could be the inner primary bearing or (main drive gear brg.) and the shavings may be from the clutch basket dragging on the chain case. There will be witness marks if that's the case.
KD

chas

I have the five bolts out of the inner primary cover, and ready to take it off, but it seems stubborn, I started hitting it with rubber hammer but its not budging! I dont want to hit it too hard cause i know its aluminum, but how hard can i really wack it? Is that they only way it will let loose?

Ohio HD

fleetmechanic

Did you remove the 2 starter bolts that are reached from the right side?  If so, gently prying on the rear of the primary against the frame should break it loose.

PoorUB

Seven bolts plus the starter. Remove more bolts or get a bigger hammer!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

chas

I have the starter out and 5 bolts with the crimp over washers! Your saying 7 bolts plus the starter. If your saying 7 then are you counting the 2 that hold in the tensioner bracket? I wasn't sure about them cause I thought they could be short and dont go into the case.

Ohio HD

September 07, 2020, 06:49:00 PM #25 Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:08:59 AM by FSG
You cannot see attachments on this board.

charlie

u havent got one of those harly bells tied on underneith have u

fleetmechanic

Remember that the front two bolts are on the outside of the inner primary case.

chas

it was the 2 outside bolts i missed!

Ohio HD

We've all been there, easy to miss things on the first go round of a repair.