March 28, 2024, 03:02:36 PM

News:

Ironhead dribble

Started by JW113, August 29, 2020, 07:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

OK, this could easily get tossed into Earl's Place, since it's not tech. But since only Ironhead owners would be interested, I'll start here and see where fate takes me.

This Covid-19 thing really has my world put upside down, along with everyone else I suppose. Not riding to work on a daily basis, the bikes have been sitting in the garage collecting dust. Or rather, due to the fires in California, ashes. My bikes in the garage were covered in this white ash, so this weekend was clean up the bikes and do a wet-sump purge.

Besides taking the big twins out, I was out on the XL and was having a glorious time. Until... Some wiseguy on a sport bike cam up along side and started pacing me. OK, cool, no problem-o. Then he put the hammer down and took off like a bat out of hell, so what did stupid old JW do? Drop a gear, and peg the throttle. 40+ year old Ironhead snapped into action, and in short order I was right on this guy's tail. Pop into 4th, and we're both buzzing along like morons on a public freeway way past the legal speed limit, playing a kind of "chicken" I suppose. As with all CA highways, it was not long before we were on the tail of traffic in the fast lane, and my "pal" decided to split around him am carry on, I did not. But what the hell, it was a fun encounter, never-the-less.

Lesson: Ironheads can be a whole lotta fun, just don't get stupid with them.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

I'm so proud of you, brings a little tear to my eye!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

saltcaveminer

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots. Just a thought. Please stay safe. Salty

Appowner

I miss my old Iron Head Sporty.  The one bike I regret having sold.