March 28, 2024, 07:35:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Move master cylinder ? (R.K.)

Started by thumper 823, August 31, 2020, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper 823

There must be an EZ way with other bike parts to move the current location ?
Place  brake master cylinder perhaps up  forward out side of frame?
  That is on my list of mods.
Anyone already do it?
Thanx
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

kd

Look at a 98 vintage RK or Ultra.  They are mounted on the outside of the frame and the reservoir is attached to the cross brace between the down tubes at the front of the frame.  It feeds the master cylinder with a hose.  These parts are obsolete but commonly available as take off items on ebay from owners parting out their old evo bikes.  This arrangement was / is required when mounting the factory sidecar to allow the front lower attachment hardware to fit. I expect the brake pedal mounting hardware will also be required.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/96-Harley-Road-King-FLHRI-Rear-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Fluid-Cup-41807-95/174239740842?hash=item28917f73aa:g:S8QAAOSw5oheh2PD&vxp=mtr
KD

thumper 823

YES!
And thnk you.
I see a simple way to do it now, apreciate it !

jsachs1

Another thing that can be done, is safe, and works is: Use a length of fuel line, for a reservoir. Make a push in plug with a small vent hole in it, fill with brake fluid, and mount it where ever you want within reason to the master cylinder. Just don't angle it with a super sharp bend in the line.
John

Burnout

A lot of rubber mount models had the rear MC reservoir remote mounted.
At the bottom of the frame "V" on the right side.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

thumper 823

Thanx
The 1994 EVO R.K. has the rear M.Cyl mounted in a nasty spot.
I want to move the whole thing up front like a more modern R.K
In fact i am and will change it and the floor board mount too!   (cause it just sucks!)
To drop the exhaust out f the way to get at the cam chest it becomes a hasel.
This bike is always under the evolution of better ideas.
  I see EBAY has a few newer MC for sale -looking for with the the brake line too.
thanx

thumper 823

kd

I intended this link to be attached to my previous post.  I have a 98 RK and Ultra and the both mount outside the frame. This is everything you need except the bracket that the MC mounts it to the frame.  The large nut on the master cylinder Is what mounts it.  You can see it in the Ronnie's parts fiche for the frame.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-98-Ultra-Classic-FLHTCUI-Rear-Brake-Pedal-Master-Cylinder/143574771253?fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3AHarley-Davidson&hash=item216db92635:g:YLAAAOSwv-1ejK-f

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=273&b=30&c=0&d=1998%20FLHR%20ROAD%20KING%AE%20(FD)%20FRAME%20ASSEMBLY%20W/%20SWING%20ARM%20AND%20%20JIFFY%20STAND
KD

thumper 823

Thanx !
The hardest part and it is EZ is welding the pivot to the frame in some way for the pedal/ MC mount