April 30, 2024, 06:33:05 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Couple 117” drop on questions...

Started by 838, August 31, 2020, 07:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2016 softail slim s with a 117" kit. Harley dealer install. SE 58mm Tb and Bassani pro streets:

How far do you typically see these pistons in the hole?

The 259E looks like a solid cam but at a much higher compression than the advertised 9.9:1, can it be optimized with head mill? Would porting help this cam?

Pulling the heads and adding a .030 head gasket brings the compression up to 10.2:1ish range, what's a good cam here (it's not a bagger or touring bike).

If able to pull heads, get head work, and mill heads to desired compression (without changing out pistons and cylinders) What compression can be achieved? What compression would you go to? And what cam would you use?

If he decides to do cam only, what's a good "bolt in" cam for a softail SE 117 kit.

Thanks!!

Tynker

I guess it all depends on how it will be ridden.  Will he use it on the track, or just a street rider, bar hopper??
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Quote from: Tynker on September 01, 2020, 09:08:22 AM
I guess it all depends on how it will be ridden.  Will he use it on the track, or just a street rider, bar hopper??

It's a bike night bike... bar hopper, might see a few 100+ mile days though.  Don't see him hitting the redline too often..

Hossamania

I guess his definition of a bar bopper and my definition are different. To me a bar hopper hits redline often. A little racer between stops.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Quote from: Hossamania on September 01, 2020, 01:24:26 PM
I guess his definition of a bar bopper and my definition are different. To me a bar hopper hits redline often. A little racer between stops.

Not a bar hopper then... not a short shifter either, so I'd say good torque (but doesn't have to come in at 120 ft/lbs at 2k) that won't fall off before 5000+...

The bars in my area are so far apart from each other We "bar hop" on full dressers ;)... guess I need to get up on my terminology a bit :)

Tommy D

Quote from: 838 on September 01, 2020, 11:55:26 AM
Quote from: Tynker on September 01, 2020, 09:08:22 AM

It's a bike night bike... bar hopper, might see a few 100+ mile days though.  Don't see him hitting the redline too often..

Bolt in: TTS 150 with a spot on tune  :bike:
Acts 4:12

Wookie3011

I did what your doing. 2016 FLSTFBS started with the 110 motor added HD 117 kit with 58MM TB and all the goodies. I opted for the WFO slow bleed down B lifters instead of SE. I would recommend you do the same. I used the TTS-150 Cam instead of SE259. The problem you will have in using this cam is HD wont have a starting map and as far as I could tell dont use TTS tuners. My pistons where .007 Rear and .009 front in the hole. I didn't zero deck it as recommended as I got anxious to get it going to ride. This winter I'm sending the heads off to HDSP and zero decking it. My setup with .030 Cometic was at 10:0.1 the TTS150 would love at least 10:2.1 and SE259 shines even a little higher. While the heads are off have them worked. Good luck

Wookie3011

September 02, 2020, 04:32:44 PM #7 Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 04:38:27 PM by Wookie3011
Dyno with TTS-150 117" kit. Hope this is ok if not pull the reply. 10:0 compression. Keep in mind usual numbers for this cam are higher but I didn't hit target compression and didn't do the heads. I also have the B motor so that has an effect also due to additional balancers inside of motor. Softail Slim is also B motor. What makes this cam special is where the tourqe comes in. Look at the graph and see that at 1800 you have 110 tourque and it climbs from there. All in the usable range IMHO. You will need to strengthen your Clutch. I used a Barnett and its holding great.

Ohio HD

Looks pretty good to me. I'm sure it rolls right along and pulls strong.

sfmichael

the 259 cam always delivers but probably want to be 10.5:1 ...maybe even a smidge higher
Colorado Springs, CO.