M8 How do I know if my rings are leaking & why should I care?

Started by Ronbo2, September 02, 2020, 08:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronbo2

I've got a 2017 107 M8 with 22k miles.  My front spark plugs and seem to indicate that oil MAY be getting in the cylinder so I replaced them and looked again 500 miles later and there is definitely a black glossy something baked on the rim (rear looks great).  My spark plug ground strap also indicates the plug is running cool which could also be an indication of oil getting in the cylinder and lowering detonation.  My oil does seem to have a bit of gas smell and my oil catch in my Arlen Ness big sucker needs to be emptied every 500 miles (high crankcase pressure?) So....

My questions are;

1. do these observations warrant enough concern to have it checked out and if so, is there a fairly simple way for the dealer to test for a problem? I'm assuming I'll have to pay if no problem is found.

2. are there other symptoms I can look for?  The engine runs great, doesn't seem to use any oil. Exhaust doesn't show any indication of burning oil.

3. is this really a big deal or fairly normal for M8's?

Here's the video I used on reading spark plugs... very interesting info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vn2NU3r1U

kd

A compression check and leakdown test will tell you what the cylinder condition is and if both cylinders are similar.  All you need are the testers.
KD

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

If the motor uses no oil, then let me ask this.

Did you decide you have a problem after watching the video?

Or did you think you had a problem before the video? If the later, what made you start looking for some solution?

Your not using oil, bike runs good? RIDE it.

Geezer_Glider

Also has the bike been modified? Factory (stock bike) M8 plugs usually show a really clean burn.
R Meyer

Ronbo2

Quote from: Hossamania on September 03, 2020, 04:03:02 AM
Do you have an extended warranty?

Yes, I have an extended warranty but wanted to become a bit more knowledgeable on what I was talking about before presenting my case.  Just not sure how the warranty works when you just 'think' you might have a problem.   

kd

Oil use volume may be part of the criteria.  I have had some experience (all good) with ESP and can say that if the repair facility is known to the ESP adjuster, and is credible. the adjuster is likely to approve a claim based on the tech's declaration of an issue.  Most of the repair facilities will not skimp out on the repair if needed. As I said previously, a compression and leak-down test may show a problem or uneven cylinders that forecast pending engine failure.  The warranty adjuster would be wise to nip it in the bud.  I should also add that endoscope pics of the cylinders and cylinder head ports might support any problems that may be noted in the other tests.
KD

Ronbo2

Quote from: kd on September 02, 2020, 08:17:06 PM
A compression check and leakdown test will tell you what the cylinder condition is and if both cylinders are similar.  All you need are the testers.

Interesting.  Looks like testers are fairly cheap and I have a compressor.  Not sure how I keep the engine at TDC without taking something apart. Also doesn't seem like it would be an expensive test to have the dealer do.

Thanks for your input

Ronbo2

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 03, 2020, 05:53:25 AM
If the motor uses no oil, then let me ask this.

Did you decide you have a problem after watching the video?

Or did you think you had a problem before the video? If the later, what made you start looking for some solution?

Your not using oil, bike runs good? RIDE it.

I definitely hear what you're saying and is why I'm asking others.  My problem is my engine is running hot (rear cylinder around 365 with an engine temp of 325 on a 95 degree day at 70 mph), so I thought see if my plugs might tell me something about timing.  The darkened threads 3/4 the way up the plugs seems to agree the engine is running hot and that's when I notice the glossy black deposits on the front cylinder. 

So if the problem with the plugs doesn't raise enough concern to pursue the oil issue I can put that one to bed.  Good news is I'm learning more all the time.

Hossamania

Paying a shop to do a compression and leak down test might be a good option for peace of mind, especially if you are not familiar with the process. It should not cost much to have it done, and they will know what to look for.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

If you do take it somewhere, ask them if they have an endoscope type camera.  If there is a problem with oily carbon it will be on the piston and head surface.  Also cylinder scoring (if any) will be obvious.
KD

Don D

Compression may appear normal on a test and oil is getting into the combustion.

rigidthumper

A cheap borescope for your smart phone should be adequate to see what's on top of your pistons; look through the spark plug holes on the primary side.
If oil is leaking up past the top ring, you'll see clean piston top/edges and crud built up towards the center.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ronbo2

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 04, 2020, 06:05:56 PM
A cheap borescope for your smart phone should be adequate to see what's on top of your pistons; look through the spark plug holes on the primary side.
If oil is leaking up past the top ring, you'll see clean piston top/edges and crud built up towards the center.

Dang, learn something everyday .... wonder if I can do my own colonoscopy too  :kick:

Thanks!

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jamminhd2000

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 05, 2020, 06:59:10 PM
Yes-it's possible.
Check with Preachers Son for details

Now thats some good funny stuff....i dont care who ya are  :hyst: Jimmy