March 28, 2024, 03:42:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Anti Rattle Spring

Started by crock, September 03, 2020, 05:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crock

Had an awful rattle coming from the front caliper (Banana) and took it apart to find the spring broken. Looked for a new spring on line and the only ones I could find was on e bay for $20 or more which I thought was a little pricey for what it is.  I glued a kick stand rubber bumper to the fork leg and went ahead and put it back together with new brake pads and no rattle.   Do you guys think I need the spring or am I over thinking this. Or is there a better fix
Crock

JW113

What kind of spring, the hairpin kind or the flat bent sheet metal one?

The caliper has to be free to move on the pins. I was using the flat metal one, and wore out a brake pad in short order. I found a factory hairpin set up, and it's been working great. A rubber bumper might work, if you can keep it in place and it's not preloading the caliper.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

crock

It was the flat one. I've seen the hail pin ones but don't see how they would work. I have also always worn out the back pad first and didn't think about the spring causing the caliper to not float enough
Crock

crock

Once again I maybe over thinking this
Crock

billbuilds

Do you lube your large pins with anything? I've used disc brake caliper grease which is a synthetic. Will help slow pin and bushing wear and also  make caliper move as it should when brake is applied. 

76shuvlinoff

Way back it seems I had to drill the front caliper to use the hairpin type spring. All new pins and bushings go a long way to quieting that rattle too.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

September 04, 2020, 09:09:39 AM #6 Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:14:42 AM by JW113
That's correct, you have to drill out that boss on the lower left side to mount the hairpin. I thought it would look dorky, but actually you don't even notice it that much unless you're looking for it. I found trying to mount the caliper with that bent metal spring a real pain in the butt. The hairpin is a breeze.

-JW

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

crock

I like the hair pin idea. Where do you find it. Looking at J&P and e-bay all I see is for the back caliper
Crock

JW113

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Harley-Davidson-Brake-Caliper-Anti-vibration-Kit-1973-80-FL-FX-41670-73-B-/172259049365

The other way is to the local HD dealer, ask if they have p/n 41670-73 in stock, and when they say no, ask them to search on the HD parts web and see who does. Then call them and order it.

-JW

76shuvlinoff

For $9 I'd be grabbing that one if I still had the banana calipers.  Drill a hole in the boss on the nanner and rest the leg on the wheel spacer.  I can testify it works.   
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

Me too. Front brake is complete silent on mine, and the pads last as you would expect. Putting the caliper on or off is a breeze, just loosen the bolt on the spring, snap it off the axle spacer, and take the caliper off per normal procedure. None of that fighting to get it on or off as is done with the flat metal spring.

-JW

crock

Thanks Guys. I ordered the spring. I knew I could count on you guys   :teeth:
Crock

waltcentral

Thanks to JW113 I now know how to install the spring. That spring was included in a repo banana caliper I bought and no directions on how to install it. The service manual or parts manual were no help.  Thanks!