April 19, 2024, 06:53:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Forged Rocker Arms

Started by Buglet, September 04, 2020, 12:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buglet

Why would some company come out with forged rocker arms and not make them adjustable. Or is that is not needed.

PoorUB

I have always wondered why one valve was not adjustable on the M8. No need to put adjusters on both.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

If both valves had adjustment at the valve, you could correct mild changes in valve protrusion, to correct rocker geometry.   

cbumdumb

:pop: Takes me back to my old Detroit diesel days.

Buglet

This is what has me baffle, is why a well know HP company would go to the trouble to build a heavy duty rocker arm and make it nonadjustable, I like to know what there reason is besides cost.

Ohio HD

Call them and ask them?     

Don D

At least geometry can be corrected to a small extent on one side. Not the pushrod side however. This is why Baisley cuts off the valve side lever and reclocks the assemble. I have heard a few consider this rumors. The dual adjustable rocker arms were destined for regular production. Also they have been know to break especially with the stupid valve spring pressures some run.

bigcraig

OK, after seeing the post, I couldn't figure out what the OP was talking about.

So, after some interweb snooping, I see OP is talking about the new S&S Forged ROLLER rockers.

From a design standpoint of the M8 rockers and going to a roller rocker, I can see there being an issue making them adjustable.

That said, I DO see a way of making them "adjustable", but it would be a complete PIA.

Meaning, S&S would have to provide/make different "rollers" of varying OD to make adjustments. Possible, but costly and would also make doing valve adjustments a time consuming task.

Reminds of the shim kits I had when I worked on sport bikes!

Ohio HD

I wouldn't even consider roller rockers on an M8 unless I were just flat running an outlaw large racing cam and heavy springs.

Small valves, light springs, moderate lift of the valve, the really don't need it. You don't see sport bike motors setup this way, and they rev much higher, and faster.

joes124

https://www.sscycle.com/feature/valve-train/m8-valve-train   and scrowl down to:
S&S Forged Roller Rocker Arms for M8 Models Part # 900-1084   
CLICK FOR MORE INFO
Rebuild Kit Part # 900-1087

wfolarry

They did it because the M8 valvetrain is a PITA. More than likely they found it to be the simplest way for the guys that want to run high lift cams [that most don't need]. I've got valves that won't work, springs that won't work & a few other things that aggravate the sh*t out of me. The return is not worth the investment IMO unless you're doing an all out build. Keep the lift under .500 & you'll be happy. Go over .550 & you're treading in deep water. JMO.

hulkss

Quote from: PoorUB on September 04, 2020, 02:39:30 PM
I have always wondered why one valve was not adjustable on the M8. No need to put adjusters on both.

H-D has them for the M8.

PoorUB

Quote from: hulkss on September 08, 2020, 04:06:23 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on September 04, 2020, 02:39:30 PM

H-D has them for the M8.

Sure, I knew that, but not the stock rockers. Typical HD, make you buy something that should have been in/on the motorcycle to begin with.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hillside Motorcycle

S&S just released those roller rockers.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

I see they caught it. Some one must of took a break from there cell phone.