M8 2020 oil sumping,oil level goes up and down .electra glide ultra limited twin

Started by Manuel, September 05, 2020, 10:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manuel

Hello, my name is manny, has any else have problems with oil level fluctuating by 2 quarts. I'm very consistent on my checkings. I always check hot and always get different reading,sometimes 2 quarts low and sometimes 1/2 over and I haven't added any oil. Had my 1 k service and now I have 1500 now . And within 500 miles sense my service I check my oil and it shows almost 2 quarts low so I take it to dealer,and they do a 2 minute idle warm up and it's still low .and keep in mind I drove it 12 miles to dealer so in my mind its plenty warm. The tech said he is going to drive it to get it warm. He comes back we check and it at max level. Where does it go and how does it come back? I'm thinking oil pump loosing prime or oil cavitating .somewhere.i seen that term on a forum about oil level issues. Can any one help and point me in the right direction, the dealer said they don't think there is a problem  and just ride it. But in my mind if I check oil hot and it says 2 quarts low I'm afraid to take on a trip.

Manuel

Are some more pictures to show it going up and down and right in the middle,sometimes bubbles sometimes no bubbles weird!!!!!!!

Manuel

So I'm thinking oil pump is loosing prime or maybe failing,or oil is transferring ,if some can help out here cause dealer don't think there's a problem, it would be greatly appreciated if someone knows anything and help me please, thank you!

Ohio HD

Your motor is sumping, and then the oil pump is recovering the oil when it can. Read in this forum, lots of information about M8 motors sumping. The dealer isn't going to do anything about it until it sumps the crankcase full, and then won't recover the oil. Or the motor fails due to the same. 

Manuel

Thanks for the reply ,what should I do to fix it? Get a after market oil pump or a new hd pump. Fueling has a vented dip stick that they mention it might have too much crank case pressure, the vented oil dip stick sounds like it might work but I don't know what to do.

Ohio HD

Read the M8 threads on sumping. There are several posts on success and failures.

scotman623

Your bike is a 2020 correct?? You have the latest and Greatest oil pump H-D makes.... Very interesting hearing of sumping on the new oil pump... Keep us updated..
Always look forward...

topcat3815

I was going to buy a new 2020 street glide till I read this, not now

Dan89flstc

Quote from: topcat3815 on September 06, 2020, 02:24:42 PM
   I was going to buy a new 2020 street glide till I read this, not now

Yeah, some guy who we have never heard from before joined the forum and told us his bike sumps.

You don`t even know if he is checking the oil properly, or if the post is legit to begin with.

If a post about an issue with a bike is reason to not buy it, then forget about buying a motorcycle of any model...

I am very suspicious of new posters jumping on to a forum to tell a story about a problem...

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

Correct. If you want one, get it. Some bikes have problems. Most do not.
According to what I read here, my '12 should have eaten the crank, destroyed my compensator, chewed through its tensioner pads, and be on its third set of wheel bearings.
So far, all good.
I would not hesitate to buy a new one if I really wanted one.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Manuel

Yes my bike is a 2020,yeah it should have the newest pump,hopefully it's not failing, I work for a diesel repair shop and I've seen brand new parts fail, and yeah I'll keep you up dated, someone said don't idle m8 motors on jiffy stand cause oil pump pick up  ports are on the right side of oil pan and will cause it to sump and get a false reading. I'm going to start doing my warm with the bike straight up and see how the work, kinda makes sense cause I've been doing my warm on jiffy stand,

Manuel

Here's my bike at the dealer,the Harley technician checking my bike after a 2 min. Idle warm up and it low,then he said let him ride it,he comes back and I take pictures of him checking and now it over filled. He said he never seen a touring bike fluctuate that much,its usually the softails that fluxuate like that ,he told me just to keep an eye on it. So I'm glad it happened to him as well , but what's crazy is he couldn't give a reason for this happening...

Manuel

This bike is to good looking to give up on,I want to ride with no worries of breaking down on a road trip

sandrooney

Patience is such a waste of time .

rigidthumper

Quote from: Manuel on September 06, 2020, 07:07:28 PM
Here's my bike at the dealer,the Harley technician checking my bike after a 2 min. Idle warm up and it low,then he said let him ride it,he comes back and I take pictures of him checking and now it over filled. He said he never seen a touring bike fluctuate that much,its usually the softails that fluxuate like that ,he told me just to keep an eye on it. So I'm glad it happened to him as well , but what's crazy is he couldn't give a reason for this happening...
Have the dealer write a repair order, stating your concern, noting the tech who looked at it, and ask them to call HD Tech Services to log an event/ask advice. That way you have a reference number, and records, so if anything happens, you're covered. They may also provide additional trouble shooting steps for your dealer to verify/correct any issues.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

lucasg

That's a beautiful bike Manny.   It sucks that some 2020 models are still experiencing these slumping problems.  I hope they get it sorted out for ya.  Just make sure you document every visit to the dealer, and don't let them jerk you around....use the warranty ! 

Manuel

Yeah thanks,its hard to get them to understand what's going on, they say they don't think anything's wrong, but  in my mind if you get false readings on oil level ,there is something wrong , I've been documenting the oil level and the fluctuation and I'm going to call hd and let them know what's been happening and get a reference number and then take it to the dealer,and see what happens then.thanks everyone for the replying...

Manuel

One more thing,  can anyone recommend a good harley dealer in so cal ?

JW113

Every HD dealership mechanic should have a patch on the front of their work shirt that says: "Don't worry, they all do that". And on the back, a bigger patch that says: "Gee, that's the first time we've seen that".

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Manuel

HV

Simple test .............when you find the oil level low..............remove the crank position sensor ( on the bottom of the engine case ) measure the amount of oil that comes out....more then 6 OZ its sumped....and needs to have things checked..... ( Your Dealer should have a list of what to check )
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Manuel

Thanks for the reply HV, I went to the dealer yesterday and try to get them to fix my bike and they said I have to pay for the diagnostic, I said it's under warranty,  they said warranty only covers if something is wrong...I said my oil is sumping and said how do I know that...I said the oil level is good at times and after a 50 mile ride that I go on its 2 qts.low ,  I was there we check the oil level and it was 2 qts low.. he said want me to add some I said no cause when it comes back it will be over full and go into my breather.  He said that I have to pay for diagnostic I got so pissed I cursed at him and said I want my f...en bike fixed he said if I curse again he wont fix my bike, a lady came in and ask what's wrong  I told her he said I have to pay to have my bike looked at under  warranty, so he took my info and said I could take the bike home till he gets a response from Harley Davidson. I'm sooooo frustrated with this.  And the sale department said they will by back the bike and put me in another new bike for 10,000 more and the odds of the other one having problems are slim.

kd

Go back to the dealer, park in front of the main door and check the level.  If it's down 2 quarts again, loosen off the  CPS and go get the service manager. In his presence remove the plug and video the 2 quarts of oil running across their lot. That and the video should wake them up. If not, it would sure make me feel good and I would have a record of the issue and response.
KD