March 28, 2024, 12:29:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 2020 oil sumping,oil level goes up and down .electra glide ultra limited twin

Started by Manuel, September 05, 2020, 10:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

And this is exactly why I will never buy another new bike from h-d. If it were me I'd take it out and ride the snot out of it till it blows up, then let em say nothing's wrong with it. I used to buy my oil filters from them and now they won't even get that. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS and is a big reason there not doing so well.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ohio HD

Quote from: Manuel on September 08, 2020, 06:44:13 AM
Thanks for the reply HV, I went to the dealer yesterday and try to get them to fix my bike and they said I have to pay for the diagnostic, I said it's under warranty,  they said warranty only covers if something is wrong...I said my oil is sumping and said how do I know that...I said the oil level is good at times and after a 50 mile ride that I go on its 2 qts.low ,  I was there we check the oil level and it was 2 qts low.. he said want me to add some I said no cause when it comes back it will be over full and go into my breather.  He said that I have to pay for diagnostic I got so pissed I cursed at him and said I want my f...en bike fixed he said if I curse again he wont fix my bike, a lady came in and ask what's wrong  I told her he said I have to pay to have my bike looked at under  warranty, so he took my info and said I could take the bike home till he gets a response from Harley Davidson. I'm sooooo frustrated with this.  And the sale department said they will by back the bike and put me in another new bike for 10,000 more and the odds of the other one having problems are slim.

Round one:
Dealer = 1
Manuel = 0

Loosing control is the last thing that will help you. Being insistent and calm will get you on top of the situation.

Call:

Harley-Davidson customer care representative please call 800-258-2464 or 414-343-4056.

Representatives are available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time (CDT).

r0de_runr

I don't understand the "you have to pay for diagnostics."  If I have a problem, I take my bike in, they write up a work order, and call me with the results.  Under warranty and ESP, the same thing.  Only difference is under ESP I had to pay the $50 deductible.

So if they find the problem and fix it or at least work in or, do you still have to pay the deductible?

I do not know if their service dept is any good, but Pamona Valley HD is the HD Dealer that is at the start of the Run For The Wall event every May.  May be worth going over there:  https://pvhd.com/
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

Manuel

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

I agree, don't start swearing and threatening, just keep after him that something is wrong, and you want it fixed.

Like the one post said, run it to the dealer and see if it is a couple quarts low on oil, then pull the CPS, I would probably tell the service manager to get an oil pan and drop the oil in from of him. Probably not a good idea to drop the oil on the driveway, besides I would want to measure how much came out. Any more than a few ounces, something is wrong.

Is there another dealer in the area? You might try there and let them know you are not impressed with the service you are getting from the first dealer. Funny how a second dealer will often "step up" and handle your problem in hope of getting your money when you buy your next Harley.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

:agree:  There will be a need to measure the excess.  I guess I threw in the "drain it on the ground" part because I felt Manuel's pain.  His tech noticed something and it should have been taken serious.   :wtf:
KD

Manuel

We'll  I went back to Los Angeles Harley to day and talk to them about my bike they took my reference number yesterday and said they will call hd motor company and see what they want to do about. Well I went in and talk to them and they said hd motor co. Told them to tell me to drive that there's nothing wrong with the bike... so I called hd motor company to confirm it and they said that's no true they told them to take bike and follow procedures, the dealer lied to me.. so I told the hd motor company I'm going to take my bike to Huntington beach hd. They that's fine and to give them the reference number.  So I took today and they where 110% better then the other dealers. I gave them all my notes on the oil level fluxuateing and pictures.  And the level was 2 qts. Low when I got there and they seen it. And I told they if you drive and take rpm to 4  and go tru gears and keep rpm up the level comes back..

Manuel

Well my bike is staying the night a the dealer,  this is the 3rd dealer.. let see if they can get it fixed... if not I don't know what to do.. maybe sell it and by something else.... I did notice today the bike did start asking up in traffic like if the oil pump starts asking up when it gets hot then it starts to sump the oil and the bike runs like crap. Then get on highway to cool down the motor and it ran better... the bike runs like crap when if traffic. I did notice the bike has no oil cooler but it does have radiator for coolant. The bike acts like the oil is getting to hot and causing the oil pump to loose prime then sump the oil... I bet if this bike had a oil cooler as well it would be fine... just a thought.  I've been around mule car my whole life and work at a diesel repair shop
.. but this is my first Harley and it's been all bad.

PoorUB

The  oil doesn't get hot first, the oil gets hot because of the engine struggling to run with 2 quarts of oil in the crankcase, then heats up the oil.

You are pretty new here, but if you start reading M8 threads from the beginning you will see what most here know and HD knows too. This has been an issue wit the M8 since the engine came out in 2019. What you are dealing with is no mystery. It has happened to many M8 engines. The interesting part is HD is on, how many? The 6th-7th-8th oil pump revision and three years of production and it still happens.

I find it madding that the other dealer just blew you off when he certainly knows that there is an issue with the M8 engine sumping. He just didn't want to help, probably tired of dealing with it.

You also missed the M8 oil transfer from the transmission to the primary fiasco.

Manuel

I'm thinking getting this bike was a big mistake... sounds like I'm another ginnie pig.

PoorUB

That is why I am riding a 2016 Limited.

Really, the M8 has had it's problems, but it has been on a low percentage of bikes, you just got stuck with one. I will bet the dealer will sort it out and everything will be fine. It does suck to buy a $20K-$30K motorcycle that has problems.

sandrooney

It's a machine all of them will eventually break, but it does suck to have it happen on a new one.
Patience is such a waste of time .

JW113

HD is all about nostalgia and heritage. Must be trying to recapture the AMF days.

:hyst:

Manuel, I get it that this is a new bike, under warranty, and you want HD to take care of their quality problems. But what you are experiencing is precisely why I would never take a bike to an HD dealership for repair, warranty or no. Unless the thing just blew up and was going to cost me lots of money to fix. It sounds like you know how to turn wrenches. The information is available about this issue, perhaps time to start reading up and maybe fix it yourself?  Go take a look in the Instruction Sheets, Bulletins, & Recalls section, and search on M1450. Yes, HD knows all about this, and look how many revisions have been made to the document. 

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Reddog74usa

Who wants to do all that wrenchin when you spent good money for a new bike. Hey, they said it's ok and to just ride it so ride the snot out of it till it blows up and get it fixed on their dime. You tried to do it on the up n up and save them money so no guilt in doin it this way....
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Manuel

I know right! I got it to ride not to work on. Let see what Huntington beach hd can do, I talked to a custom motor builder here close to me .... he said put a vented oil dip stick with breather and a good oil pump.  Hd oil pumps are junk. I fill I'm getting some where now.. finally got a dealer that know something..

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ohio HD

Quote from: Manuel on September 09, 2020, 03:52:31 PM
I know right! I got it to ride not to work on. Let see what Huntington beach hd can do, I talked to a custom motor builder here close to me .... he said put a vented oil dip stick with breather and a good oil pump.  Hd oil pumps are junk. I fill I'm getting some where now.. finally got a dealer that know something..

If I were you, I'd stay away from the custom guy. He wants to sell you parts and labor, and is happy to void your warranty. Doesn't sound like that's what you really want is it? I mean you're squeezing the dealer and didn't think you should pay for the bike to be looked at. Let this dealer and HD exhaust all possibilities before shelling out money that may not help one bit.

Manuel

Your right Ohio hd ,I'm going be patient.. it will work out. If Huntington beach hd cant fix it ,the  first dealer where I got it from they said bring it them. They will make it right.. ever stay away from Los Angeles Harley Davidson  that's the 2nd place I went to only cause that was the closest and open on sunday... they are the ones that got me upset and feeding me all the bs.. one more thing thanks to everyone for the knowledge and advice .I'll keep posting with updates. Hopefully I'll be riding soon...lol

Rockout Rocker Products

I thought the dealer giving you all the grief WAS the dealer you bought it from.  :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Manuel

No the dealer that I got it from is closed on sundays and mondays, so I would go the los Angeles Harley cause the are open sunday and I ride on weekends and Sunday is when I would be seeking help.

Manuel

The dealer that I got it from ...the service writer did do a couple thing wrong and the tech did let me drive off with issues. Also.but I talked to the salesman that I got he from and told him the whole story today and said sorry about everything and he will make everything right.he talk to another service writer and they will work together to get my problem fix if Huntington beach cant fix it. So that's my back up plan

Manuel

UPDATE ON MY BIKE.. Huntington Beach Harley Davidson did the proper procedure and found out that my bike is oil sumping. They warmed it up and pulled the cps and found a little over 1.5 qts hiding in there. Just you guys on here where saying... so now the will get Harley motor company involved for warranty work on a new oil pump... finally a dealer that has techs that do things right ... a big thumbs up to Huntington beach Harley Davidson .....

Manuel

The tech said 6 oz.. is max in the crankcase. Just like everyone on here was telling.. I was just try to find a dealership to do the work. I bought the bike to ride not work on....that's everyone for all the knowledge and support.... wounded if I should do the stage 2 up grade? Anyones thought on that?

rigidthumper

No.   Get it right, enjoy for a season to make sure it's going to be ok.   
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?