Author Topic: M8 2020 oil sumping,oil level goes up and down .electra glide ultra limited twin  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Ohio HD

• OH CRAP!
  • Administrator
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
No.   Get it right, enjoy for a season to make sure itís going to be ok.

:up:
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Manuel

Wow I was thinking the same thing. Cause that will void my warranty. And if there is a problem still then I have to pay out of pocket.  Yeah I'm going to hold up on that need to make sure it's all good.

Offline No Cents

• there is no cure for what I got !
   it might have a piston jet leaking causing your issues...it's just a guess though.   :nix:
It is a known problem that can cause sumping in the M8.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
   it might have a piston jet leaking causing your issues...it's just a guess though.   :nix:
It is a known problem that can cause sumping in the M8.

:agree:  Pretty decent odds on that too.
KD

Offline jamminhd2000

• Site Supporter
  • "Never To Many Specialty Tools & Service Manuals"
Compression test / leak down test....bad piston ring seal is not uncommon as well in these bikes...pinched oil pump sub seal oring....jimmy

Offline Manuel

Thanks Jimmy, hopefully no damage to engine. The bike is waiting for new oil pump they ordered it... once I hear something I will update everyone.. thanks everyone...

Offline Manuel

Wow I just watched a video on piston cooling jets ..they can cause oil sumping. Wonder if that's true.? Makes sense cause when that kicks  in during a traffic light  then start to ride shortly after it looses power and that's when I check oil at its really low.. any comments on that,,, thanks in advance everyone please respond.

Offline No Cents

• there is no cure for what I got !
Wow I just watched a video on piston cooling jets ..they can cause oil sumping. Wonder if that's true.? Makes sense cause when that kicks  in during a traffic light  then start to ride shortly after it looses power and that's when I check oil at its really low.. any comments on that,,, thanks in advance everyone please respond.

yes it's true.  :wink:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline Pete_Vit

• Site Supporter
  • Native Philly boy
    • Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield
Every HD dealership mechanic should have a patch on the front of their work shirt that says: "Don't worry, they all do that". And on the back, a bigger patch that says: "Gee, that's the first time we've seen that".

-JW
  :up:  :hyst: :hyst:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS  -     AMA
http://www.harleypartscheap.com/

Offline Manuel

Im finally getting somewhere the is making progress

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • Mostly confused
Good to hear, good luck!
When borrowing money from a friend, decide which you need most.

Offline Manuel

Yeah laidlaw HD was some help it's just there so busy it's hard to get on the waiting list in service. Huntington beach Harley Davidson has just as good techs and there open 7 days a week and are very helpful as well... just I got nowhere at l.A. Harley I don't know why they didn't help in the service department... thanks again

Offline Wood

Manuel, Any progress in finding the root cause of your problem?
Wood

Offline Manuel

It's still there.they said it was going to get worked on 9/22 .so I went there yesterday to get a update ,they fell behind on work and wasn't able to get to my bike. Its understandable. They said they will get to it today.

Offline HV

• New Brunswick CANADA ( East Coast )
  • Administrator
  • 2013 FLTRX * Member Dec/2000*
    • HTT Admin
Hope they get you fixed Up Buddy ....keep us informed  :up:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Offline Manuel

If not I'm shipping it out to you.i know you can get it fixed

Offline HV

• New Brunswick CANADA ( East Coast )
  • Administrator
  • 2013 FLTRX * Member Dec/2000*
    • HTT Admin
Im sure a good dealer will get it done  :up:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Offline Manuel

GOOD NEWS !!! Huntington beach Harley found the problem damaged o ring .finally
Getting somewhere. A dealer that is helping. All my business is going to them.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
 :up:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline Buglet

I like to know how many O ring got pinch during assembly on both TC's and M8's. I done a few that the dealer gave customers a hard time even it was still under warranty. One even was done by a dealer under warranty and they told the customer it was ok, and it ended up with them pinching to O ring again by them during assembly. You would think they might can up with a better system or seal so it doesn't happen.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
 :up:  Good news.  Thanks for sharing. I think I would move over to the other dealer too. Even if it was further away.  I would also (respectfully) show the 1st dealer your pics so they don't revert to the "they all do that" syndrome just because it is a challenge to trouble shoot.  You won't have to tell them that they lost your business. They'll figure that out when you don't show up any more.  Besides, you may need to stop by some day for parts that the new dealer doesn't have.   
KD

Offline 04rkryder

Glad you got it fixed.
Good to know that good dealerships still exist. Way too many use "they all do it" mantras out there.

Offline Manuel

Thanks every one for all the advice and suggestions. And the support.and I hope I'm able to help some one to avoid all the headaches I went through by posting the cause.. we are all getting bikes to ride and the sooner it gets fixed the more we can ride.once again thanks everyone and I will keep you all posted on the 2020 114 twin cooled .once I take a good road trip I'll let you know how the ultra limited edition  did.im sure it will be a comfortable ride.

Offline Manuel

Ok everyone I got my bike back and it never ran this good,, it has power...twist the throttle and it moves.i guess it's been oil sumping from day one cause it never ran this good . It runs great now whether its cruising or wide open throttle. It moves pretty good for weighing 900 pounds, I'm very happy with this bike now.a special thanks to everyone that that listen to all my headaches and help guide me in the right path and to Huntington beach Harley..and i didn't forget you HV thank you for your knowledge and wisdom...now it time to ride..I hope all this will help someone out there ,thanks again.
              Manny
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 11:05:34 PM by Manuel »

Offline Nastytls

I'm glad you've fixed your ride and also found a dealer that actually wants to help their customers by actually doing their job. It's such a simple concept, but it's completely foreign to most HD dealers that would rather just tell you "they all do that" and send you on your way. That's why I won't go anywhere other than my dealer for anything at all.