March 28, 2024, 09:59:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 2020 oil sumping,oil level goes up and down .electra glide ultra limited twin

Started by Manuel, September 05, 2020, 10:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

Quote from: topcat3815 on September 06, 2020, 02:24:42 PM
   I was going to buy a new 2020 street glide till I read this, not now

How about now, knowing it was a simple o-ring issue?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Manuel

Got a update for everyone, I rode my bike today. I put 150 miles today ,it consisted of freeway, canyon road, city streets with heavy traffic and the bike had power all day ,it never lost power not even once. before after 30 minutes of driving it would start to loose power .but not today ,it ran awesome the entire time. And I'm pretty comfortable believing there is no engine damage from sumping issues.. so to hosse I would go buy that 2020  Harley.. and I did buy a new oil dipstick the one with LCD temperature and oil level reading.and oil temp reading stayed around 200 ..that unit is awesome. Thanks everyone
                 Manny

Hossamania

Glad to hear it's working for you, and you finally get to enjoy your new bike!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

pauly

HI Manuel,

I'm all the way over in Australia, and smiled when I heard your bike is fixed! Glad you got it sorted, and the HTT members helped with good advice.
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Manuel on September 26, 2020, 08:45:53 PM
Got a update for everyone, I rode my bike today. I put 150 miles today ,it consisted of freeway, canyon road, city streets with heavy traffic and the bike had power all day ,it never lost power not even once. before after 30 minutes of driving it would start to loose power .but not today ,it ran awesome the entire time. And I'm pretty comfortable believing there is no engine damage from sumping issues.. so to hosse I would go buy that 2020  Harley.. and I did buy a new oil dipstick the one with LCD temperature and oil level reading.and oil temp reading stayed around 200 ..that unit is awesome. Thanks everyone
                 Manny

mstrobes

Manuel, just read your story, glad your issue was solved. I moved from So Cal last year and yes Huntingtin Beach HD is a great dealer. when ever I had a issue they would look at it under warranty no questions asked. And I didn't like the attitude of the service department at LA HD.

Appowner

The vast majority of vehicles today are darn good products that should last you for many years.  That's why when I shop for a new vehicle I shop for the mechanic first.  Because a poor mechanic will screw up a vehicle faster than anything.  Especially with all the electronics and such on them today.  But a good one will ensure you enjoy that vehicle for many years to come. 

And it amazes me how many people today still wait for the oil light to come on before they bother to have it looked at.

"How could it be out of oil?  There's a huge puddle of it on the garage floor where it was parked."

Manuel

Thanks pauly ,yeah it made me smile too . And mstrobes yeah Huntington beach Harley is great. And just to let everyone know..  bike is running great. I'm at 2,500 miles now .I put 700 miles since they fixed the oring on the oil pump and hope it stays that way. Once again thanks everyone
                     Manny

Helmwurst

I know it can be a PITA sometimes, but glad all is well ! I have a 17 RG Special it was sumping off and on, a lot of the early M8's did. I did the upright idle which helped, and then later tore into the cam chest and replaced the oil pump, cam, cam plate, lifters and upper end rocker arm bolts.

It sounds like your oil pump is failing you. Kind of unusual for 2020 models, but maybe you do not have the latest version. Budda knows the MOCO has had nothing but problems with oil pumps on the M8. When the oil stick shows to be two quarts low the oil pools up in the sump (which is supposed to be dry). This happens when the oil pump can not keep up. There is a plug on the bottom of the engine that your dealer can pull out and see how much oil in in the sump (when it shows to be low on the dipstick). One or two ounces is acceptable, more than that and you have troubles.

David H

I have 2017 M8 107. I run 1/2qt low on oil and I get no sumping and oil level stay the same.  It did go up and down 1/2qt when it is full. I Love the bike. 

Manuel

Hello everyone, I am here to give a update on the oil level fluxuateing, bike has been running great ,no issues with oil level after they have replaced broken o-ring on oil pump. No more problems with oil level fluxuateing, and has power when needed.  Very happy with the bike now. So the problem was a a torn o-ring, hope this helps  someone,,,, I did post pictures if you need to see, look on earlier post,thanks everyone

FSG

QuoteI did post pictures if you need to see, look on earlier post,thanks everyone

there it bee

Appowner

Hmmm!  Looks almost like it was cut.

But I m totally unfamiliar with the M8.  So don't take my word for it.

les

Quote from: FSG on March 22, 2021, 10:40:45 PM
QuoteI did post pictures if you need to see, look on earlier post,thanks everyone

there it bee

If that's the scavenge o-ring, then it looks like it was put into the hole rather than on the oil pump tube during installation.

Wookie3011