March 28, 2024, 10:05:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

EFI Vs. Carbed CCP or Corrected Compression for CA fuel.

Started by 838, September 05, 2020, 10:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would the difference be in your targeted CCP and/or corrected compression for tuning a bike to run on pump gas. EFI vs Carbed.

Hot rod/ bar hopper?
Sport Touring?
Touring?
Cross country touring/low octane fuel?

Thanks!

Don D

9.3:1 vs 9.6:1. Assumption tuning with timing modification by a qualified shop. Carbed also, a custom map may be required  not just dials.

Quote from: HD Street Performance on September 05, 2020, 11:55:45 AM
Carbed also, a custom map may be required  not just dials.

Thanks. What ignition(s) to accomplish this?

Don D

Most will allow this. Daytona Twin Tec TC88 is my choice. Takes a special USB communication cable. This will allow tuning the curve and puuting in enough timing to add power but drop it off under high load and lower rpms. The dial curves are OK but can be improved.

turboprop

Quote from: 838 on September 05, 2020, 10:55:08 AM
What would the difference be in your targeted CCP and/or corrected compression for tuning a bike to run on pump gas. EFI vs Carbed.

Hot rod/ bar hopper?
Sport Touring?
Touring?
Cross country touring/low octane fuel?

Thanks!

Funny, you asked for CCP got compression, which in the scope of your question is irrelevant as it does not factor in the intake closing. You have it right by asking for CCP numbers.

I cannot speak to al of your applications as I do not have first hand experience with high compression baggers, but I can speak to the bar hopper application.

IME, 205 Lbs CCP is pretty safe in a lightweight bar hopper wit fun gearing. One of my daily riders is a TC124, carb'd, running 11.9 compression and cranks at 210. This is in a naked FXR with hot rod gearing.

I have another FXR that is also equipped with a carb'd TC 124. This bike is setup very differently. It has a fairing, cop bags, touring gearing. It cranks at 185 Lbs and has cams that close the intake much earlier. I have ridden this bike from coast to coast and back without any issues with the quality of gas.

Both bikes run a Daytona Twin Tech ignition with a factory MAP sensor. While I have the software and cable required to alter the ignition table, I have nod had a need to do so as the factory curves  are pretty good for my applications.

Will add that in order to run compression/cams that are close to the safe line for pump gas, the AFR has got to be perfect, or slightly rich. I have AFR gauges permanently installed on both bikes and change the pin and clip positions from time to time in order to keep the AFR above the line.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Don D

Turboprop
Question, It has been a while since I have messed with the TC88, do all of the versions use the MAP sensor? I know they have multiple versions now and I don't know how they have evolved. Thanks

turboprop

Quote from: HD Street Performance on September 06, 2020, 10:52:41 AM
Turboprop
Question, It has been a while since I have messed with the TC88, do all of the versions use the MAP sensor? I know they have multiple versions now and I don't know how they have evolved. Thanks

Yes.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

fidel

Road king 2000 98 ci carb 200 ccp front 198 rear custom map daytona twin tek. Run on 91 oct gasi

aharp

My personal preference for carbed stuff is 195. Can still run timing and is pump gas friendly coast to coast.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?