April 24, 2024, 02:09:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch question help

Started by Ketch, September 07, 2020, 05:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketch

I have a built 107 twin cam. 128tq/118hp. AIM VPC95 was installed with a standard spring. Everything was fine for a bit until it started slipping. I opened it up and noticed that the VPC had been hitting the inside of the "non stock" clutch inspection cover. I now know after some research that it should have not been put on there without a spacer kit. The VPC does have some wear marks in the weights but not too bad. So...I purchased a Barnett carbon fiber extra plate kit (thinking that can't hurt), installed it along with the VPC. Still slipping! Driving me crazy cuz I don't think it should be..Any suggestions?

rigidthumper

Did you use Barnetts heavy spring with the new plate kit?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ketch

No. I tried one in the very beginning but it's just too heavy for me. That's why I went with the lock up hat.

rigidthumper

Lock up hat only works above a certain RPM- below that, it's all about spring pressure.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tommy g

I have roughly the same power and an Energy One with stiff spring and no hat has served me well for many miles.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Pirsch Fire Wagon

You definitely want the Heavy Spring. You can seek a reduced Pressure Ramp or go Hydraulic to solve the pull strength requirement.

Did you do a thorough inspection of the Hub and Bearing?  Either can contribute to Slipping or Drag.

I know (it doesn't affect your Clutch) the SE Steel Plates will warp in a short time if slipping or dragging due to heat. I've seen them look like wave washers. I'm sure you would have caught that.

I would not think the wear on the VPC would affect anything compared to Mass unless they were warn a darn good bit.
Tom

Nutoy

what oil are you using in primary? I bought a vpc from fuelmoto and I asked them about primay oil and they said to use only conventual oil.

Don D

We bypass the VPN and use Rekluse clutch kits here. They reduce lever effort, increase torque handling capacity,  and have proper throw which means not hard to find neutral or drag

C-Cat

Quote from: HD Street Performance on September 17, 2020, 05:02:23 PM
We bypass the VPN and use Rekluse clutch kits here. They reduce lever effort, increase torque handling capacity,  and have proper throw which means not hard to find neutral or drag
I've had one in my Roadglide for a few years now. Great setup holds 129/127 no problem.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

tdrglide

Quote from: C-Cat on September 17, 2020, 06:15:40 PM
I've had one in my Roadglide for a few years now. Great setup holds 129/127 no problem.
:up: :up:

tommy g

Is there a good number for throw?
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Ketch

Screaming Eagle spring was the fix. Inbetween the Stock and Barnett heavy duty. Lever pull is mild difference and it did the trick.