April 16, 2024, 07:46:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2001 Heritage Softail Alternator / stator

Started by 88b, September 07, 2020, 10:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

88b

My friends Heritage failed to start after a 60 mile ride , seems from what I could tell today the stator has taken a dump . Primary has a burnt smell, checked the three wires and they aren't going to ground , also checked for AC voltage from all three no voltage .
He's going to get it to me and I'll strip the primary out .
My question is do I just replace the stator as he's selling it, already got an SE Road King . Or do I need to change the rotor and regulator too ?  Remember I'm not in America and stuff is likely to be 50% or more expensive. I can get some aftermarket if it's available from Phil but it's probably $100 postage plus import duty .

PoorUB

Just replace the stator, unless you see something obviously wrong with the other parts.

I had stators fail on my '05 and my '10 Ultras, early on, just out of warranty. Just put in just the stator and no issues.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

88b

Thank you , it's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure

PoorUB

Don't worry, someone will come along and tell you to put in Cycle Electric or what ever it is. :potstir:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

smoserx1

If he has 3 stator wires on an 01 it might already be a cycle electric.  As far as I know stock stators back then were single phase and had 2 wires.

Coyote

The bike came stock with 3 phase.

Quote from: PoorUB on September 07, 2020, 01:58:28 PM
Just replace the stator, unless you see something obviously wrong with the other parts.

:up:

88b

Quote from: smoserx1 on September 07, 2020, 03:06:47 PM
If he has 3 stator wires on an 01 it might already be a cycle electric.  As far as I know stock stators back then were single phase and had 2 wires.

He's owned the bike from new it's the original stator .

Thanks for the replies

FSG

charlie

smoserx1

Thanks cor the clarification on the 3 phase.  I knew H-D had changed sometime in the 2000's but I wasn't aware it was that soon on this model.  Anyway like the others said I would just replace the stator.

88b

Thanks for the diagram FSG , I finally got the bike Thursday ,and took it apart yesterday . Typically my dealer or another I use don't have it in stock neither does the European warehouse . Found a dealer near the south coast with one so that's where we are riding to today to pick it up.

88b

Oh and I did away with the 30 amp breaker years ago , replaced with a maxi fuse