March 28, 2024, 02:17:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2000 1200 Custom Battery Cable issues

Started by thirdjld, September 11, 2020, 07:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirdjld

I'm helping a buddy with his wife's bike. He changed the positive battery cable. When he put it on he connected one end to the stud on the side of the starter that doesn't have the rubber connector on it. The positive terminal immediately started warming up and ended up melting a piece of the positive terminal off. When I metered it to the negative terminal the other cable on that stud had 4.5 Ohm to the negative terminal. We don't have a manual yet. Is this the correct location for the positive cable to be connected to?
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

Panzer

I would first like to know why he changed the cable?
Did he replace it the same way he took off the old, I have my doubts that he did.
DEAD SHORT to cook the cable = wrong connection at starter.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

The positive cable cannot touch the housing of the starter, the housing is grounded.
Maybe attach a picture.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

thirdjld

From talking with people I believe the positive cable is supposed to go from the battery to the starter relay  I need to figure out where the starter relay is now. I think I'm going to spend the money and buy him a manual.

PC_Hater

I had a look in my 2000 manual - it doesn't make it very clear where the battery positive goes!
You see that shiny copper stud in the middle of the photo you posted?
The battery positive goes there.
I had to go out to the garage and check my bike to confirm it.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

thirdjld

Thanks PC, does it go on the on in the middle of the picture or the one on top left corner?

PC_Hater

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

thirdjld

I see where you said middle in the first post now, old age or just not too bright :oops:. The cable end that is next to that stud was on that stud and goes straight to ground. I'm thinking there's a insulator or something there. I will try to find one near me and get a manual. Thanks again
John

PC_Hater

20 year old bikes - who knows what has been done to them over the years?
Mine is unmolested, just bolt-on stuff,  so...
The positive lead on the battery is towards the front of the bike, the negative to the rear.
The positive lead goes straight down and comes out next to the starter motor exactly where you have that cable end next to the stud.

I went out for another look.
The battery positive is on the 'inside' of the battery immediately behind the rear rocker box.
If a battery with the positive at the back of the bike has been persuaded into there then the lead heading straight down will be earth.

Take Care!

thirdjld

To followup, my buddy took it to a mechanic and they said it was a rollover sensor (?). Not sure I remember the right name but they replaced a sensor that gets tripped if you drop the bike. I never heard of that. It starts and runs fine now. Thanks again.
John