News:

Front brake problems on an 06

Started by Alexintenn, September 11, 2020, 08:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexintenn

Had one caliper sticking a little
Rebuilt both calipers and the front master cylinder
Rode the bike about a month maybe 1000 miles
Got on the bike one night and the brake lever felt tight and the brakes were dragging
Had tools with me, so I cracked the bleeder screw loose while applying light pressure on the lever.  Let out just a little fluid.  Brakes loosened up and I rode home.
A few days later it happened again.
Went to my Harley dealer and he looked it up.  There has been FIVE  revisions to the master cylinder kit.  So I bought the rebuild kit, flushed the entire system again, including blowing air thru lines to be sure there was no trash anywhere.
Put it all back together.  Rode the bike a couple of weeks.  And the lever got tight again and the brakes are dragging.
Had to stop last night and bleed off a little fluid again to release pressure so that in could get home.
So I've rebuilt calipers.  Rebuilt the master cylinder twice.  Made sure I flushed the entire system both times.  Have made sure the small return holes in the master cylinder are clear.  And I still have brakes that pump up and get tight.
I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks on a new master cylinder if I don't have to!
I hope someone can give me a clue as to what the h.  Is going on.
2006 Road Glide 37K miles

Leed

This is a long shot but you might want to change your rubber brake hoses.  The insides could be collapsing and not allowing the calipers to release pressure.  I had this happen to my old Vette and it caused the rear wheel to actually go up in flames.  Almost lost the car but was lucky to get it put out in time.

Big Cahuna

Just a shot in the dark but, are you using the right type of brake fluid?.,,,

Alexintenn

New container of Prestone type four synthetic brake fluid flush the system completely both times

barny7655

please check the clearance of the handle pivot ,to the M/c actuating rod ,should be  pressure on the rod  , easy way is to take the top pin out on the handle and see if the rod moves outwards ,you dont want it  covering the return hole in the master , ive lathed some off the M/C rod to get clearance , as the main pin hole was off centre pushing the rod inwards   
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Hossamania

Quote from: Leed on September 11, 2020, 08:48:46 AM
This is a long shot but you might want to change your rubber brake hoses.  The insides could be collapsing,

Agreed, what part of the system has not been serviced yet?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tynker

:agree:
Quote from: Leed on September 11, 2020, 08:48:46 AM
This is a long shot but you might want to change your rubber brake hoses.  The insides could be collapsing and not allowing the calipers to release pressure.  I had this happen to my old Vette and it caused the rear wheel to actually go up in flames.  Almost lost the car but was lucky to get it put out in time.

:agree:
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

88b

I put a pair of Goodridge hoses on my 04 about three years ago , makes for a firmer lever . Most Jap bikes recommend changing the flexible hoses every two or three years .
Personally I won't rebuild a master cylinder , it's probably only about $100 ( it's £100 ) more for a complete new MC over a rebuild kit .

smoserx1

Make sure the fluid level in the reservoir is not too high.  I have had to remove fluid when replacing pads to get the pistons in the calipers pushed back in.  If you have ever added fluid with worn pads you may have too much and that can cause pressure from the reservoir lid and diaphragm pressing it down.

Alexintenn

Barney7655
I think you are on the right track
My next thought was "what if the piston isn't  returning far enough"
I'll take the lever off and see if pressure releases

harpwrench

Another long shot maybe but I've seen the brake light switch cause the lever to bind up and keep pressure on it, on an older bike

Adding edit: when everything isn't put together right

barny7655

sorry retracting statement in last post ,[pressure on the inner M/C rod ], there should be none , had this problem on a after market assembly , that was the cause ,rod was being forced to activate by the wrong hole being drilled in the m/c body ,pushing the brake lever to be out of alignment ,thus causing rod piston cups to be covering return hole , cheers, 

Dan89flstc

I agree with replacing the rubber hose.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Alexintenn

I now remember I replaced the brake lever awhile back

I used a file and took about 1/8 inch off the lever where it contacts the piston

That relieved pressure on the lever.  BUT the brakes worked ok for a short time after the rebuild.  I'll update later if I have another problem

barny7655

This place is great for solving problems , all we need is all the correct information, as to what has been done , modified , whats happening ,etc  most take querries as products being, as they were from the shop, great post , you will solve your problem with our help ,some times quickly some times a while , cheers Barny