April 24, 2024, 11:31:54 PM

News:

Fuel Stabilization

Started by Tommy D, September 13, 2020, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy D

I have a riding friend with undue circumstances that  hasn't ridden at all this season.... bike is on a tender with full tank of fuel, it's not looking much better for him in riding the remaining of this season... what is the best solution for adding  fuel stabilizer additive before any damage could occur.  Bike is a Rushmore Touring
Acts 4:12

Hossamania

Add some stabilizer and take it for a ride for him. Or, it would be better to get all that fuel out (long ride or siphon), add the stabilizer, new fuel and a short ride.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Plus, no ethanol fuel is best for storage. I do agree, minimally fuel stabilizer, best would be fresh fuel, stabilizer and either way, a ride to get it through the fuel system and long enough to get the engine hot.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Tommy D

Quote from: Hossamania on September 13, 2020, 02:07:38 PM
Add some stabilizer and take it for a ride for him. Or, it would be better to get all that fuel out (long ride or siphon), add the stabilizer, new fuel and a short ride.

Sea Foam still a good one ?

calif phil

Startron works the best for me.  I would drain whats in there now and pour it in your pick up.  Fill it up with Ethanol free gas, if you can.   Start or ride the bike enough to get the fresh/treated fuel through the injectors.  Pull the spark plugs and spray some fogging oil in the cylinders.  Stick some SOS pads in the mufflers to keep critters out. Put some dryer sheets around it to keep the mice away. 

If he is worried about the outside finish, MUC OFF makes a spray protectant that is excellent. 

sfmichael

Quote from: calif phil on September 13, 2020, 03:16:23 PM
Startron works the best for me.  I would drain whats in there now and pour it in your pick up.  Fill it up with Ethanol free gas, if you can.   Start or ride the bike enough to get the fresh/treated fuel through the injectors.  Pull the spark plugs and spray some fogging oil in the cylinders.  Stick some SOS pads in the mufflers to keep critters out. Put some dryer sheets around it to keep the mice away. 

If he is worried about the outside finish, MUC OFF makes a spray protectant that is excellent.

great advice  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Tommy D

Quote from: sfmichael on September 13, 2020, 03:18:07 PM
Quote from: calif phil on September 13, 2020, 03:16:23 PM

great advice  :up:

Indeed !
Thanks Phil

Tommy D

CndUltra88

Quote from: Hossamania on September 13, 2020, 02:07:38 PM

Darin it, run whats in the system and refill with Chevron 94...
Well anything higher than 92 and no ethanol.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

mkd

September 14, 2020, 05:09:54 AM #9 Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:25:38 AM by mkd
TommyD!   been using seafoam for yrs to store gas for my evinrude from one yr to next. went for 28 yrs to Canada fishing and early on was dumping my unused gas after each trip. some years back i started adding seafoam to the premixed gas and whatever was left at the end of the week i left in the 6 gal tanks for the next season. boat was out of the garage for one week a year and put back into storage till the next year. i would put a tag on each 6 gal tank and label the date,that it was premixed,and had one ounce of seafoam for each gal, (6 oz. in evinrude portable tank. ) never had an issue from one year to next and last yrs gas was always the first to burn up the next year. if it was a partial tank i would top off with fresh gas,2cycle oil,and the appropriate amount of stable.  started doing the seafoam in the early 2000 because the idle pickup tube in the six hp kicker would always plug with the dried up fuel/oil mixture while in storage. got up to canada and the kicker wouldn't idle. once i started with seafoam never had an issue. would run both the kicker and 40 hp out of gas, fog the cylinders, and put away for next year. i put seafoam and real gas in all my power equip. if it keeps premix gas from one year to the next it's proof enough for me!

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

1workinman

I going to buy a couple of cans of sea foam next time I go to town . Is there anything that can be used in fuel that is old to clean out the injectors after the tank is drained and good fuel in added to tank . thanks for any advice .  Is there a way to test the injectors spray pattern just in case

kd

Quote from: 1workinman on September 16, 2020, 06:25:22 PM
I going to buy a couple of cans of sea foam next time I go to town . Is there anything that can be used in fuel that is old to clean out the injectors after the tank is drained and good fuel in added to tank . thanks for any advice .  Is there a way to test the injectors spray pattern just in case

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago with a home-built teser.  IIRC No Cents started it. It was a simple device for bench testing spray.  I think it was in his Cat out of the bag thread. I couldn't find it but Ray may chime in.
KD