April 19, 2024, 01:55:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oscillating noise

Started by genzer, September 13, 2020, 08:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

genzer

On the highway cruise set on 75 wearing earplugs, as I'm already 3/4 deaf I started hearing a rather slow oscillating drone no other noises, nothing at slow speed that I could hear and nothing I Could feel, thoughts?

Ohio HD

I tried to use my mind reading power to get the bike model and year....     :SM:     but I didn't work.   

If it has a final belt drive, I'd look at the belt condition and tension. Then move to the wheel bearings. Both can give an oscillating sound. 

Hossamania

Does the sound change when the brakes are applied?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

September 13, 2020, 09:06:45 AM #3 Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:36:23 AM by Ohio HD
I'll also add, look at the tires for irregularities. You haven't mentioned if you look at those or anything else, so I throw them out as a possible well.

genzer

My bad, 16 RG haven't had a chance yet to put it a on a jack,  Hoss, getting off the exit nothing noticed with braking. Belt tension felt good on the ground, tried moving the swing arm but again it was on the ground.

Hossamania

While riding and hearing the noise, squeeze the brakes, keeping speed, and notice if it changes. Do front and rear separately.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

I've had that too from time to time on my '15 RK. All of the above are good, so I just ignore it.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

genzer

All day rain today, tires have about 6k on them I'll check them out as well, the return trip back I took a different parallel road but speed limit was only 55 and no oscillating @62-65 :idunno:

choseneasy

Were you riding with another bike beside you?
I have experienced that sound riding next to a buddy when the motors match frequency/rpms. Kinda sounds like an oscillating drone.

genzer