April 20, 2024, 04:31:10 AM

News:

ThunderHeader reverse cone replacement

Started by Hossamania, September 14, 2020, 07:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaystn62

Quote from: Hossamania on September 22, 2020, 08:00:58 AM
Thanks Thumper, I may give it a try. Jay is sending some lollipops to me, I will try one of those first, then see where I go from there.
One of the challenging issues is that the ThunderHeader has the reverse cone welded on the end of the pipe, I need to reach inside past that, probably 8" or more, to attach the baffles/lollipops and hold the fastener. Creative solutions are being worked on in my head.
Get you a set of those foot long needle nose pliers to get it in place and get the nut started. After that I bet you could get creative with a wrench.

Hossamania

That's actually my plan, I have one of those long needle nose pliers, I use it more often than I thought I might!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

76shuvlinoff

I was always tempted to cut open the T-Header on my shovel and maybe sneak a little packing in to tame it a bit. At that point I'd have to go from chrome to BBQ black or some high temp powder coating.  It's getting more ratty by the year so who knows?  Another 10 years I might be ready.  :teeth:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

All better! Thank you to Jaystn62, offered up his lollipops for free, much appreciated! What is it with this site that everyone helps everyone?
Only took it for a short ride until the rain started in, again, felt good down low, I will have to wait to do a top end run, run it thru it's paces.
[attach=0]
[attach=1]

Jaystn62

Quote from: Hossamania on September 27, 2020, 03:34:48 PM
All better! Thank you to Jaystn62, offered up his lollipops for free, much appreciated! What is it with this site that everyone helps everyone?
Only took it for a short ride until the rain started in, again, felt good down low, I will have to wait to do a top end run, run it thru it's paces.
[attach=0,msg1363164]
[attach=1,msg1363164]
You put it in backwards! Hehehehe.....J/K. I have no idea. Looks good. Now you have to find someone to give the other one to. Like the family fruitcake.  :teeth:

Hossamania

The other one will be a spare for when this one flies out!

Jaystn62

Quote from: Hossamania on September 27, 2020, 04:58:50 PM
The other one will be a spare for when this one flies out!
Probably 15 yrs from now............

Hossamania

kd

KD

Hossamania

Looking at the positive side like always, kd!

Jaystn62

Well if it falls out we know who installed it.

Hossamania

Yup, that's why I'm glad I have a spare ...

Jaystn62

Quote from: Hossamania on September 27, 2020, 05:45:17 PM
Yup, that's why I'm glad I have a spare ...
Hehehehe.....good luck with it. Hope you never need a spare.

Hossamania

I was able to take it for a ride last night. It had better manners, smoother down low and when the throttle was cracked, the flat spot wasn't as bad, though this motor has always been soft down low, a product of its build and cam choice. (And a slight vacuum leak again, I suspect. Could even be a worn carb, 90,000 miles on it.)
The exhaust report was much less sharp to the ears, expected as it is not open pipe anymore. It sounded pretty good, though I am a fan of drag pipes and their ear shattering cackle, I think the people I passed didn't find it as obnoxious. It also seemed to smoothe out the idle and just off idle "lugging" in gear.
The top end seemed mostly there, maybe the quieter exhaust note seems to tone the rush of power, it still gets up and goes just fine. A test against friends' bikes will tell the tale.
I did not bring any wrenches with me to play with the angle of the lollipop, that will be next.
And it didn't come loose, so a win there!

Jaystn62

I'm glad it appears to be working for you. Just something that's been hanging around in my garage for years.

Hossamania

I turned the lollipop 90° to least restrictive position, the exhaust note is a bit sharper at speed and idling, but not like the open pipe. It ran surprisingly well, low and mid range response was good, the flat spot when cracking the throttle in 5th gear at 60 mph seemed no worse than with the previous position, it may even respond slightly better, I did not expect that. I did not get a chance to lug it just off idle in gear to check the sound and "chug".
Top end seemed better, so for now, it stays in this position.
Plus, who doesn't like a loud ThunderHeader?