March 28, 2024, 11:15:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S 509c Cam

Started by JDhog211, September 13, 2020, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDhog211

I'm thinking of a new cam for my 2004 FLHT.
The Stock 88 that I own has the original stock cam
And I was wondering what if any performance change
I might see by putting in the S&S 509 C. Would I have to retune the engine for this cam?
Like I said everything is completely stock in it now.
Would I see any performance change, and if so
What might it be?
I would appreciate any input before I purchase.
Thanks!
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

Hillside Motorcycle

Usually a cam change would be accompanied by an exhaust swap and air filter upgrade.
That cam, or our favorite, an Andrews 21 would be a great power increase in you 88".
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hossamania

Yes, you will need a tune, even if using stock air filter and exhaust.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

tbird

509, a great cam for 88" bagger, have one in my r-king

kd

Quote from: wolf_59 on September 14, 2020, 05:11:05 AM
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,100517.msg1178331.html#msg1178331
Just one example

FYI  That example also uses SE mufflers and a free flow intake. That'll make a huge part of the difference in the final outcome.
KD

Trev T

the Andrews 21 has always been a great cam swap in the 88's. use the 07 up cam plate set-up with the 21N conversion cams so you can ditch the crappy stock tensioner system. I have no experience with the 509, I use the 21 for 2 reasons, it comes as a conversion cam set and has been proven to perform in stock 88's. 

Hillside Motorcycle

And if so inclined, later, boring to 98" with the 21, produces GREAT up-front torque.

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"