May 04, 2024, 12:04:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Screamin Eagle coil issue

Started by Psychro, September 19, 2020, 04:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psychro

Good afternoon all,
I own a 1999 FLHT Standard.  The previous owner added a screamin eagle ignition system kit # 32704-01 which includes a screamin eagle ignition module 32702-01 and a single fire coil 31707-99.  A couple of weeks ago, riding loaded (the bike) with my wife on the back in 90F+ weather we stopped for gas and the bike would not start.  Turned over (via direct starter button on starter, handle bar starter button would not work) but no spark on ether plug and eventually noticed that the ignition light was not coming on.  Had the bike towed (flatbed) to a nearby friends (thanks AAA) and after it cooled during the tow he as able to start it up and a week later (in 60F weather) I rode it home with no problems.  I tested the coil and the primary windings are within spec (0.5 to 0.7 ohms) but the secondary winding had infinite ohms (no continuity).  According to my service manual this means replace the coil.  I will continue testing the ignition system but, finally, here are my questions:
1.   What screamin eagle coil should I buy as a replacement?
2.   What is the down side of using a stock factory coil instead with the SE ignition module?

Thanks!
4 of the 5 voices in my head say "go for it!"

WML57

No downside to using a stock coil. I have experienced several SE coils fail.

Psychro

Quote from: WML57 on September 19, 2020, 07:31:48 PM
No downside to using a stock coil. I have experienced several SE coils fail.

Thanks WM, so far it looks like high performance coils are higher voltage output by 20% (their claim) over stock but right now I am leaning towards stock HD 31639-99 or aftermarket equal as long as it's in stock and ready to ship. 
4 of the 5 voices in my head say "go for it!"