May 05, 2024, 01:29:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Home made truing stand...

Started by tireater, November 10, 2008, 08:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

It looks like I am going to have to start truing my own wheels...Does anyone have a pic of a truing stand they made...? Thanks
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

hdjax2

Sorry, no pics but I made one very crude and simple out of wood. 2x4 uprights and a plywood base. A couple gussets to brace the uprights to the base. Drilled axle holes in the uprights, mount a wheel and a dial indicator and have at it. I have 2 dial indicators so I can watch lateral and radial runout at the same time and it makes truing wheels pretty easy.
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

ricochet

Real basic and crude but it works like a charm:

See attachments.

ricochet

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

ricochet

November 10, 2008, 11:17:03 AM #3 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:25:55 AM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Learning on the fly here folks:

50Panhead

I used 4 small roller bearings out of a vacuum cleaner beater brushes, in a angle iron stand.  If I get a chance tonight I'll post a photo.
What Do You Care What Other People Think

dablaze

Ric...How much work was it to true that mag?

:)

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

50Panhead

I dont' have a tire right now to display on it. But the roller bearings make the axle roll freely.
What Do You Care What Other People Think

mark61

Learn from my stupidity! If you are lacing a new wheel....off set the hub the proper amount BEFORE lacing all the spokes! That way you don't end up spending days moving it over 1 spoke at a time!

mark61

tireater

Here is what I came up with...2 pieces of mystery scrap metal holding up a spare bagger swing arm...Cost me $2.00.........

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

racerat

This al are nice truing stands... but take care when you have the old stile cone-shaped cups and rollers inside your hub, that you have enough tension on them and that they are well spacered inside.
Best Regards,
Fil.
49% MotherFucker / 51% Son Of A Bitch (Motorhead-Legion)

ricochet

With the tiny roller bearings offering so little resistance it went pretty quickly but I was real anal about it and wanting to learn what I could from the process so spun it and market it like 10 times each wheel and the same onece the tire was mounted.  I started by actually checking the balance on the wheel itself and found the heaviest spot didn't correspond to the valve stem like they say and found a pattern that probably is specific to these forged wheels.  Looked like the stem was about at either 10 or 2 oclock so when it came time to mount the tire I took that into consideration then reballaced again.  At this point it was pretty close.  Since then I'm considering the dynabeads rather than sticking weights on.

ricochet

dablaze

I have found no ill effects from the Dyna beads on any wheels I have used them on. Just FYI.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

tireater

They didn't work for me at all...I tried them on 3 wheels...The bike has to go a ways before they smooth out...
The co. itself says they may magnify any wheel problems you are having...My laced wheels need truing every 6 mo...