May 04, 2024, 05:10:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Does Anyone Else Have Trouble With ...

Started by Skullfork, November 09, 2008, 05:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullfork

...the new 6 gallon gas tanks when filling up?  It's nice having the extra range, but most times when I fill it up, gas splashes out on the tank no matter how careful I try to be.  And it seems almost impossible to actually fill the tank all the way ...Anyone have any tricks to avoid the problem??

WVULTRA

Might be why MoCo is pushing these:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448772603&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290991&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290991&bmUID=1226286784529&bmLocale=en_US

:idea:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Skullfork

That's interesting.  I recently watched an episode of American Chopper  :embarrassed: where they built a bike for a company called McCuff, and that looks exactly like the item they sell and was featured in the build. Mikey used it the first time and spilled gas all over some dudes bike.  I wonder if McCuff makes this for Harley, or if Harley copied it for themselves??  Seems like a pita to have to carry around and use ...if it works.

Faast Ed

I saw the McCuff thing.  My same thoughts, looks like a pain to carry around. I would hate to put something all smelling of gas in my saddlebag.
Looks the same as the HD version.

Couple of newly rich guys behind those. Who'd a thunk it.  They must love those new style gas tanks!
≡Faast Ed>

willymax4

that's just like the moco to dream up another product to sell you instead of correcting the problem in the first place. they knew the problem was there on the 08 bikes, but did they do anything about it on the 09's?
a resounding NO.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

harleyjt

I really haven't had any problem with my '08 6 gal tank...  I fill it to the first shutoff and usually dribble just a bit more in and then call it good.  Seems like its about an inch down - its right at the bottom of the filler neck as I recall.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

CanuckianOne

Hahaha...that episode with OCC Mikey and the intro of the McCuff gizmo was on YOUTUBE for a while then it disappeared just as quick.  That dude was me and the gas was all over my 1991 FXLR!!  We all laughed about it and Mikey was genuinely concerned for my paint (not shown on air) but I explained that the paint was put there in 1991 and gallons (litres) of gas haven't hurt it yet, so don't fret!!

Just this month, a new revised version has arrived on YOUTUBE (posted by McCuff Industries) that has cut me and my bike (and trailer) and the "incident" out completely and instead shows all the rascals I was with when this was shot in June '08.  We were out on our regular get-away and just happened to drop in at the new "world headquarters" of OCC when we were invited to "star" in the segment.  Hell, for free gas, we Canadians will do anything!!!

I've never found a reason to use the McCuff they gave us.  But, it was neat to be famous, for an instant!!

Skullfork

Hey Canuckian, congrats on your stardom ...I remember thinking if that had been my bike I would've been PO'd by the amount of gas Mikey spilled on your bike, but you had a big smile on your face and took it well!  I figured the McCuff people weren't too happy with that scene though as they spent some seriously BIG bucks to have a bike built advertising their product. I admit, I still like watching the show, but it's turned into nothing but a 1 hour corporate commercial for whatever company has the most money that week ...

Sonny S.

I'm sorry but that is absolutely ridiculous that you would have to carry something so you can fill your tank without it splashing back.
HD is outta control !!   What's next, the MOCO will have Billy May's advertising it on TV....jeez.

WVULTRA

Quote from: Sonny S. on November 12, 2008, 04:52:47 PM
I'm sorry but that is absolutely ridiculous that you would have to carry something so you can fill your tank without it splashing back.
HD is outta control !!   What's next, the MOCO will have Billy May's advertising it on TV....jeez.

Sonny:

I totally agree!  IMO, that's one more mod the MoCo with fix (hopefully) on the 2010 models.  Who the he!! want's to yank out a cuff just to fill the tank?

:sink:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Skullfork

Yeah, I'm not sure of the dynamics that causes the splashbacks, but I never had this problem on other bikes until I got the '08 SG. And I'm ultra careful when filling now and try to feather the nozzle lever when the tank gets close to full and it still splashes out about half the time. So anymore I just stop well before it gets close to being full to avoid the problem.

Billy Mays ...now that's funny!!