April 19, 2024, 01:19:31 PM

News:

Exhaust question for the pro's

Started by wnogood, September 17, 2020, 06:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wnogood

A little back story...

I bought my 2020 street glide brand new last year. Bone stock. The torque sold me on the M8 114 engine.

Fast forward to now, I've added a merged header 2-1-2 and rineharts, ness big sucker, and tuner. Overall the bike runs better, and no hiccups. I feel like I gave up some torque... so... I found a product by DK customs that is a "Fancy" lollipop for open exhausts. It's nicely made and the company claims "It's beneficial to any exhaust"

I was hoping to get some of that torque back.... Anyone used these or similar?
2020 SGS 122" stonewashed white pearl

Nastytls

I used those in my Bassani DNT's which were just terrible off the bottom. It helped a little bit, but I still ended up getting rid of them and going with a 2-1. I don't think an add on will be able to overcome a poorly designed muffler.

Don D

Exhaust starts to become a much larger factor when overlap  is added. Stock cams are more forgiving. The M8 has different requirements than a twin cam and it is easy to send the torque curve in the dumpster with an improper pipe choice.

Ronbo2

Quote from: wnogood on September 17, 2020, 06:12:55 AM
A little back story...

I bought my 2020 street glide brand new last year. Bone stock. The torque sold me on the M8 114 engine.

Fast forward to now, I've added a merged header 2-1-2 and rineharts, ness big sucker, and tuner. Overall the bike runs better, and no hiccups. I feel like I gave up some torque... so... I found a product by DK customs that is a "Fancy" lollipop for open exhausts. It's nicely made and the company claims "It's beneficial to any exhaust"

I was wondering the same thing.  If you do put them on give us an update.  The price is right, but I have to remove the back end of my freewheeler to work on my CFR slip-ons.  2017 107 with big sucker, wood 22x cam and DJ tuner.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: wnogood on September 17, 2020, 06:12:55 AM
A little back story...

Obstructions like those, can and do pick up torque.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hossamania

October 02, 2020, 06:57:03 AM #5 Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:09:39 AM by Hossamania
Coincidentally, I just installed one in my ThunderHeader (the baffle went missing). It did bring back some low end torque and helped smoothe out a flat spot. I started out with it in full restrictive configuration, worked well, cut down some of the sharpness of the exhaust note. Reset it 90° to least restrictive position and it seems to work a little better, for my set up anyway, top end seems a little more crisp, low end still good. That's the nice thing about the lollipop, it's "tuneable". Cheap way to start, might save some money on new exhaust. If it doesn't work, not a big expense to eat.

[attach=0,msg1363737]
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Make your own lolly pop with a stainless eyebolt and tack weld a large washer or a freeze plug to the eyebolt. About $5.

wnogood

So I finally installed these Thunder torque inserts. Dollar for dollar, easily the best money I've ever spent on a bike. It brought all my low RPM torque back, and didn't seem to hurt the mid/top at all. I installed them in the most restrictive orientation. The Rineharts even sound better. A little deeper tone and seems like more volume. I'm using the HD autotuner, and after a few miles the engine seemed to just get stronger and stronger. Very happy with these inexpensive baffle plates!
2020 SGS 122" stonewashed white pearl

Sunny Jim

I am curious as whether blocking off the LHS of the exhaust is beneficial ?

Hillside Motorcycle

We have manufactured many custom "torque nozzles" for a couple decades now, ie tapered exhaust venturi, to help bring low-mid power to many pipes that had historically stolen that.
6061-T6.
Glory of those is we start with a given I.D., and a standardized angle, then bore as needed to increase O/A power, until you witness the newly increased low-mid torque JUST start to waiver....done at that point.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"