May 03, 2024, 01:50:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

99 Dyna FXDS Instrument cluster

Started by vbftuc, October 23, 2020, 11:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbftuc

Just picked up a 99 Dyna FXDS Convertible.  Along the way someone replaced the whole instrument cluster with just an electronic speedometer. So no tach or neutral light etc. Is there some combination of after market parts I can get that will at least get me the tach and neutral light. Thanks for any help. Vince

smoserx1

It is going to be tough.  this is probably what your bike originally had:

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=308&b=48&c=0&d=1999%20FXDX%20DYNA%AE%20CONVERTIBLE%20(GG)%20INSTRUMENT%20ASSEMBLY

Looks like there might have been 2 versions, one with a speedometer and one with both speedo/tach, as evidenced by the 2 brackets.  At least you have some part numbers.  Anything that has a cost of $0.00 is no longer available new, but if you are patient and google/search ebay the part numbers you may find what you need.  Prepared to be gouged because lots of sellers know when something is no longer available and use that as sort of ransom.  I have a 99 FLHT and am in the same boat.  Looks like the indicator lamps go through the bracket bottom...if you can find where the harness connected you could probably rig up a neutral indicator for next to nothing.  you can also probably get an aftermarket tach but getting one to cosmetically match your speedo may be challenging.  Patients is the key here.  if you go slow and plan to keep the bike you will probably eventually get it restored pretty good.  Search google/ebay/amazon for those part numbers and enjoy riding that bike in the meantime...you can live without a tach or a neutral light just fine, at least for a while.

Rusticwater

Dakota Digital might offer a single gauge that contains all of the functions you're looking for. Their website offers a variety of Dyna compatible replacement gauges. California Phil, a site vendor here, could probably source one for you.
Support the Maine lobster industry