April 18, 2024, 09:52:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Too much compression

Started by hogrdr, September 22, 2020, 06:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogrdr

September 22, 2020, 06:35:12 AM Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:40:41 AM by hogrdr
I have a 2001 Heritage Softail with Screaming Eagle crank. I had case machine for 4 1/8 Pistons. I had a 117 S&S kit installed come to find out the cylinders was not true. Have them bored 10 over with 10 over new Pistons. The Pistons are set at .003 above deck..020 base gasket and .040 head gasket. My cranking compression has 225. I put on CVO 110 heads CC. 92. 585 cam. Is there a way to bring my compression down? Engine pings. Thanks

rigidthumper

1) An adjustable ignition is your friend.
2) Your numbers don't add up, unless the crank-cam timing is off.
3) A .010" over 117 flat top, .003' proud, with a 40 thou thick head gasket and 92 cc heads is 10.46:1, and that cam (45° close) should have ~196 PSI CCP.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

MikeL

I went to this site
http://bigboyzheadporting.com/TwinCamComp.htm
and plugged in your specs and got 10.34 static compression, 9.31 corrected compression.Flat top pistons? Was the compression test done hot? Retest compression with another test gauge to confirm 225 is way high
Is the bike carb? Is it fuel injected?
Your going to have to dial back on spark timing. Carb bike your gonna need an after market module that is spark adjustable. If it's a M/M P/C 3 and god help you with that.

MIKE

hogrdr

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 22, 2020, 07:34:59 AM
3) A .010" over 117 flat top, .003' proud, with a 40 thou thick head gasket and 92 cc heads is 10.46:1, and that cam (45° close) should have ~196 PSI CCP.
I will check my timing today

hogrdr

I will check my crank cam

hogrdr

Quote from: MikeL on September 22, 2020, 07:37:37 AM
I went to this site
and plugged in your specs and got 10.34 static compression, 9.31 corrected compression.Flat top pistons? Was the compression test done hot? Retest compression with another test gauge to confirm 225 is way high
Your going to have to dial back on spark timing. Carb bike your gonna need an after market module that is spark adjustable. If it's a M/M P/C 3 and god help you with that.

MIKE
yes the cranking compression was checked hot and I did have my compression tester check and it was good

hogrdr

I went to this site

MIKE
carbureted

Hossamania

Are you running stock ignition?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Don D

Only seen it once on an early 103 with the same Jims crank. The flat was  misoriented.

hogrdr

cam crank timing is correct

Ohio HD

Quote from: hogrdr on September 22, 2020, 08:36:44 AM
I went to this site

MIKE
yes the cranking compression was checked hot and I did have my compression tester check and it was good

How was the compression tester checked for accuracy?

hogrdr

Hossamania

Quote from: hogrdr on September 22, 2020, 09:35:05 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on September 22, 2020, 08:39:19 AM
Are you running stock ignition?
using twin Tech tc88

What are your settings?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

hogrdr

September 22, 2020, 10:36:04 AM #13 Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 12:37:59 PM by hogrdr
1 timing -1 slope. That is where I get the least ping. I tried timing 1 and all the slopes timing to all the slopes and 1 and 1 was the best. Going to take it in and have a dial indicator put on it and see where I'm at

ThumperDeuce

Put a cam in with more overlap and enjoy the ride.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Hossamania

Might have to do an afr check to see where you're at.
Which carb are you using?

Hossamania

Fuel, have you tried different gas stations, brands? Running premium, 91 - 93 octane?

hogrdr

Quote from: Hossamania on September 22, 2020, 11:32:06 AM
Fuel, have you tried different gas stations, brands? Running premium, 91 - 93 octane?
I have a AFR on the bike at cruising speed it runs between 34 and 32

hogrdr

Quote from: hogrdr on September 22, 2020, 12:28:52 PM
I have a AFR on the bike at cruising speed it runs between 34 and 32
93 octane yesterday I tried 100% gas no changes

hogrdr

Quote from: Hossamania on September 22, 2020, 11:29:16 AM
what cam do you recommend

hogrdr

Quote from: hogrdr on September 22, 2020, 12:30:38 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on September 22, 2020, 11:29:16 AM
45 Mikuni and I have an AFR she runs at 34 32 cruising speed

hogrdr

Quote from: hogrdr on September 22, 2020, 08:35:22 AM

rigidthumper

Remove the plugs, set rear to TDCC, and verify the flat on the crank is pointing exactly inline with the center of the rear cylinder with a t-square.
That is a rough check on the crank flat being machined properly.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hogrdr

Quote from: hogrdr on September 22, 2020, 12:28:52 PM
I have a AFR on the bike at cruising speed it runs between 13.2-13.4

MikeL

Check for case sumping. This could add load on the engine causing detonation.

MIKE

Don D

225 psi cranking ccp, carbureted, the likely cause flat on the crank not properly oriented. The fix is to locate tdc with a piston stop and use a timing wheel, indicator at the lifter, and determine if the valve events match the timing specification. Based on the findings the timing can be changed by tooth changes and possibly an offset key if needed. Timing would have to be 10+ degrees off to show the results being demonstrated.
I am sure this has happened before not just the one time I experienced this in 2004.

Hillside Motorcycle

IF, the compression is too much, those pistons have enough wall thickness to dish them, and S&S offers a dished version.
Easy to accurately pull 4-5cc's/more from your pistons inexpensively.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

They are now dished -3.5cc, heads 92cc, .037 squish. I verified his gauge is accurate

sfmichael

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on September 22, 2020, 11:24:35 AM
Put a cam in with more overlap and enjoy the ride.

:agree:

If crank is oriented correctly change cams. Add 10* of duration and bike should crank about 210psi

S&S 625 should be a good choice if you have the springs for it
Colorado Springs, CO.

Admiral Akbar

So the cam is a SnS 585 or SE 585?

225 hot ain't that bad, retard the timing.  I run 220 cold cranking compression in a 11.3 to 1 motor.  Runs fine except that the early SnS crank rebuilt by dark horse will eventually go bad. Not DH's fault, more SnS using a 1 1/2 inch crank pin.

Don D

S&S 585g. Jims/SE crank. I wrote a custom curve for it, 20deg max at 4500 rpm with a lot of dip in high throttle/map pressure lower rpm areas. Still pinged. No more need to crutch this build, the root cause will be found and fixed.

Admiral Akbar

itsafatboy

I think the 585 cam is a little short for a 117" ,  i like the woods TW9BG ,  i have a 116" and the cam likes 11 + comp ,  it closes at 50 and longer duration  , it does have a .630 lift so would have to have springs for it ,

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: itsafatboy on September 29, 2020, 02:07:31 PM
I think the 585 cam is a little short for a 117" ,  i like the woods TW9BG ,  i have a 116" and the cam likes 11 + comp ,  it closes at 50 and longer duration  , it does have a .630 lift so would have to have springs for it ,

IIRC the SnS 124lc uses a 585.

Don D

This motor has 10.4:1 static compression,  fluid measured, cylinder lengths adjusted both same piston to deck height, .037 squish.

dsvracer

How about just enlarging the combustion chamber by 4-5 cc's. pretty simple to do and it doesn't cost much. no new parts needed.

harpwrench

With a 60 degree ex open cam i would want to fix the problem, would think it's probably way down on power too if it's way advanced from there

Don D

Fix the problem,  root cause, thank you.