April 19, 2024, 03:39:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Best practices / tips for nitrous on a 03 RKC

Started by BTraci, September 25, 2020, 06:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BTraci

With the various kits/options available, and especially wet vs dry kits, any best experience on putting nitrous on a EFI 03 Road King with a PCIII?  Focus would be most importantly on not blowing it up.  Thanks greatly

kd

No experience but I am guessing that the PCIII may not be able to supply a tune with wide enough parameters to accomodate fuel and timing requirements.
KD

rigidthumper

I learned years ago you need some device to retard the timing, and add fuel, when spraying nitrous. Contact the various kit providers, and ask them how they usually accomplish this. Some direct the spray at the intake air temp sensor, hoping the reduced temp causes the ECM to add fuel- it does, but IMO no where near enough. I believe Thundermax has nitrous settings, but you'd have to check with Zippers.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

BTraci

I assume the PCIII isn't powerful/flexible enough for a dry system, so it would need to be a wet system due to inability for a flexible map or dual maps at the same time. 

ThumperDeuce

I remember looking into this and had decided at the time that I would go wet if I were to do it.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

jmorton10

I ran a wet system for 20 years on a shovel stroker street/drag bike.  You need a separate fuel line run from the tank to an electric fuel pump to feed the gasoline side of the fogger nozzles. The other side of the fogger nozzle connects directly to the NOS bottle.

This works great on a carb bike but not on an FI bike.  I am now running a dry system on my 124" RK.  I am running a thundermax ECU which works well with an NOS setup.

I would never run NOS on a motor that is not setup with an S&S (or equivalent) lower end & forged pistons. On a correctly built motor NOS is a lot of fun. On a motor not setup that way it is a real quick way to break expensive parts......

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jsachs1

September 25, 2020, 02:25:54 PM #6 Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:09:36 PM by FSG
I think running nitrous on that street bike may make you pull your hair out, if you have never used or set up a system before. A carb bike would be easier, but still requires experience. We've set records with all these + each 1 earned a #1 plate in different sanctions.
John

[attach=0,msg1362900] 
[attach=1,msg1362900] 
[attach=2,msg1362900] 
[attach=3,msg1362900]

Hossamania

Mmm..., nitrous....!
I would love to build one with sneaky nitrous, no one needs to really know!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jaystn62

Quote from: Hossamania on September 25, 2020, 06:43:53 PM
Mmm..., nitrous....!
Hehehe...do like Jr Johnson and make the frame a nitrous tank?

Hillside Motorcycle

I beileve the very best way to use nitrous, is not to.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

dsvracer

Nitrous can be a lot of fun on a bike if set up properly. it takes a lot of common sense, and planning to make it all work together.  if you are trying to put in 100  shot you will surely do damage to your motor.  you have to be reasonable in what you want, like a 25 shot to start with and then build it up if you need more.  the best way to approach using nitrous is to get with somebody who has successfully used it with out blowing up his motor. i have had customers use 20-25 bottles in one year with NO DAMAGE AT ALL.   dsv

jsachs1

Quote from: Hossamania on September 25, 2020, 06:43:53 PM
Mmm..., nitrous....!
Back in the early 90's, I did a few EVO's with hidden systems. Anyone up close to inspect could discover the system. A lot of parts to hide. I built one for a "Drag Specialties" Southeast rep, that made their 2002 catalog. :wink:
John

Hossamania

How fast is the bike you're trying to beat? That's the real question!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jmorton10

I kinda chuckle when I hear people say "the main thing is I want to keep it dependable"

I have run NOS on three different street/strip bikes & managed to keep them together most of the time, but I have blown more motors in the last 50 years than most people would care to put up with.  This motor stayed together for the most part with a very heavy NOS system but only after I built it with Delkron cases/Truett & Osborn stroker wheels/custom made S&S barrels/Venolia pistons/Carillo rods etc.etc.etc.

My Wife once accused me of blowing my bike up on purpose to give me an excuse to make it faster LOL (she knows me too well)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jsachs1

Quote from: jmorton10 on September 29, 2020, 01:56:00 PM
I kinda chuckle when I hear people say "the main thing is I want to keep it dependable"

I have run NOS on three different street/strip bikes & managed to keep them together most of the time, but I have blown more motors in the last 50 years than most people would care to put up with.  This motor stayed together for the most part with a very heavy NOS system but only after I built it with Delkron cases/Truett & Osborn stroker wheels/custom made S&S barrels/Venolia pistons/Carillo rods etc.etc.etc.

My Wife once accused me of blowing my bike up on purpose to give me an excuse to make it faster LOL (she knows me too well)

~John
John, was there a siphon in your bottle?
John

jmorton10

John, was there a siphon in your bottle?

yes, there was

~John

bobrk1

Helped a friend  install  a  couple  of  bikes  with  nos  was  years  ago , what  is  the  difference  between  wet and  dry, only  had  one  kind  back  then  lol

jmorton10

The wet system uses fogger nozzles that have 2 jets in them, one for gasoline & the other for the NOS gas.  The jets go in sets, when you want more boost you replace both jets as a set.  The gas side needs to run to an electric fuel pump & the NOS side runs straight to the NOS tank.  I used a dual outlet Pingle petcock to accomplish this.

The dry kit uses a similar nozzle but only one jet & a single line straight to the NOS tank.  You point the nozzle at the air inlet temp sensor & fool the ECU into delivering more gas.

I am running a dry setup now on my 124" RK.  When I was running the Shovel I pictured I ran a wet setup.  Generally you use the wet setup for carb motors & the dry for EFI motors.

~John

ThumperDeuce

Quote from: bobrk1 on October 03, 2020, 06:47:25 AM
Helped a friend  install  a  couple  of  bikes  with  nos  was  years  ago , what  is  the  difference  between  wet and  dry, only  had  one  kind  back  then  lol

If you don't add more fuel the mixture goes lean.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

jmorton10

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on October 03, 2020, 08:51:04 AM

If you don't add more fuel the mixture goes lean.

Right, more fuel & retarded timing.

~John

1workinman

Quote from: jmorton10 on September 29, 2020, 01:56:00 PM

~John
Really nice bike .  There is some thing to be said about a good running bike lol