May 05, 2024, 08:02:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Vibration when applying brakes

Started by Eccool, October 02, 2020, 11:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eccool

Hello all.  I have a 2014 Ultra Limited, stock with 23,000 miles on it.  Within the last couple months or so the bike has developed a vibration when I put the brakes on.  Doesn't matter if it's both front and rear or just rear only.  It seems to be getting worse.  A couple of times I just backed off the throttle without applying the brakes to see if it does it then also; it seems to, but it's far worse when using the brakes.  Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

kouack

You have linked brake system on your motorcycle? Probably a warp disc brake!

Pete_Vit

well that was my first thought too until, if I read this right, backing off the throttle it vibrates also, so how's the tire pressure? tire appearance? any cupping? bearings? is the belt running true? thinking out loud
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

Original tires? Probably time for new. Brake disks should be check for true. Steering head bearings may need some adjustment as well, exacerbating the problem.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

I suspect it is the front rotors and possibly also a tire. I am on the third set of rotors on my 2016 Limited in 35,000 miles. I am hard on them.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Eccool

No Cents

my vibration was coming from my front Brembo calipers sticking...which caused the front rotors to warp.
I replaced the front rotors with two new Galfer wave rotors and I put on two new Brembo calipers on the front. I put a matching Galfer rotor on the rear using the same original factory Brembo caliper. New brake pads all around and after that the old Duracell was smooth as silk again.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Deye76

"I replaced the front rotors"
:up:
My CVO RK has the factory floaters,  :down: they stop but vibrate. On the Roadglide, non floaters (linked like the CVO) smooth as glass. On my FXR with bagger Brembo calipers and cheap a$$ aftermarket non floater rotors smooth also.HD rotors are suspect IMHO.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

I've still got the original rotors on my '12 Ultra, 47,000 miles, and original front rotors on my '01 RK, 117,000 miles. Weird. And I am a hard front brake user. I do try to let them cool as I work them though, not sure it matters, but I like to think I'm doing something right.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Deye76

The factory floaters on my RK did it from day 1. When I asked the tech about it you can guess what he said.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

PoorUB

Before my 2016 Limited was out of warranty I took it into the dealer for warped rotors. I told the tech to take it for a ride and hit the front brakes hard and you can't miss it. He went for a ride, came back and said he didn't notice anything. I told him he better go again. He said he didn't need to, there was nothing wrong and walked away. Another reason why I am getting more sour about Harley. It wasn't worth it to chase down another dealer. I replaced the rotors myself.

I have owned close to twenty motorcycles over the years and my Harleys are the only motorcycles where the rotors would warp, I replaced one set of rotors on my '05 in 60,000 miles, one set on my '10 in 80,000 miles and my '16, the '16 being the worst, three sets in 30,000 miles. Any of the Japanese imports, no issues. So far no issues with my BMW with about 9,500 miles on it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

76shuvlinoff

Had to change the fronts on my 12 Ultra right around 18,000 miles.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Big Cahuna

Here's something to try. Using bike lift get the bike up in the air. Put the bike in neutral, and spin the rear wheel. It should spin with maybe the slightest sound of rubbing, or maybe none. Then spin the front wheel. If it sounds is louder then the rear, remove one of the front calibers, then spin the wheel again. If it sounds better with one off, either that disc is warped or the caliber is sticking. If it doesn't sound better, replace the caliber you removed ,and take the other one off. That has to be the side acting up. You can try cleaning the caliber with spray cleaner, and it might start working right. If not check to see if the rotor has spots that doesn't look like the pads have been making contact. I like to know what the actual problem is before I start throwing money at it.,,,