April 19, 2024, 07:07:23 AM

News:

Primary Issues

Started by NHBagger, September 27, 2020, 06:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHBagger

Need thoughts on primary.
14 Tri Glide. 3 or 4 years ago primary was rebuilt hoping to make it "bullet- proof".
Baker comp, Baker Attitude Adjuster, Bandit Sportsman clutch.
Comp recently replaced with the new DH unit and new chain.
Through all of this I continue to have quite a bit of noise and backlash. Backlash normally happens during decel or engine braking when revs get below 2500, especially when rolling the throttle back on.
Not sure what to do next. All work performed by shop, not me.

Ohio HD

I'd bet the Baker Comp is giving you issues. Not the great better than sliced bread item it was supposed to be.

The modern HD unit or the Darkhorse unit would be what I'd look at. The modern HD unit is well proven, the Darkhorse unit is still new, but does show great promise.

But of course disassembly is where it all starts, see what's what.

NHBagger

Shop just had it apart to install the Darkhorse unit..same issues exist.
Only the adjuster and clutch remain the same from the original changes.

rigidthumper

When was the last time the rubber isolators in the cush drive were replaced?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

Sorry, I missed that part of the post.

Did they take the clutch apart and inspect everything in it for issues? Including the transmission shaft splines, clutch hub, etc?

Could the backlash be from the transmission?

kd

How is your tune?  Do you have exhaust "gurgle" on low rpm decel?  Not necessarily popping but close to it. Unsteady decel will contribute to a type of power on and off situation that will take decel load off and on causing what you describe by changing the side of the primary chain that is under tension.
KD

No Cents

did they make sure the Baker Attitude adjuster is still straight and not bent?
I've heard of a few of those that have bent over the years.
   I'm assuming you went with the DH 34 tooth comp and not their 32 tooth option. The 32 tooth would need the factory primary tensioner with the "snap on" shoe installed. I don't think the Baker tensioner would work with the 32 option.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

NHBagger

I'll try to answer each one:
Cush drive- Got 40000+ miles and never replaced. If bad could the noise transfer to the primary with a metallic sound when it backlashes?
Tranny/clutch- Just had a 117 done this past winter so the whole thing was disassembled. No idea how thorough the inspection was.
Tune- Done with PV/TT, no trike Dyno available. I do get a compression pop now and then.
Another thing I remembered- sometimes when I pull the clutch in and rev a bit I get s metallic clunk.
Also on a first gear take off, if I feather it's fine. If I hit it hard it will bounce the front wheel. If I go in between those two it sometimes falls on its face like I am taking off in 2nd or 3rd gear with chattering.
Possible I have more than one thing going on.
I am sure my shop thinks I am a whiner by now.

rigidthumper

With the trike in neutral, and the parking brake set, pull/push the belt- if the belt moves more than 3/8", the Cush drive rubbers are worn out.

NHBagger

Great, that will be step 1.

NHBagger

Only got about 3\16" of movement. Guess they are okay.
I doubt it's the comp since the Baker did it and now the DH is doing it.
Almost seems worse as the day goes on. Pretty tight at first when cold and then as everything gets hot it develops that chain/ driveline "snatch".

chaos901

Quotedevelops that chain/ driveline "snatch".

I've never worked on a trike before, but what I envision from the statement above you should be able to see if you take the primary cover off and try to recreate it with the wheels off the ground. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

NHBagger

Quote from: chaos901 on September 28, 2020, 11:00:34 AM
Quotedevelops that chain/ driveline "snatch".

I've never worked on a trike before, but what I envision from the statement above you should be able to see if you take the primary cover off and try to recreate it with the wheels off the ground.
Interesting idea. Not sure if a load would be required?

Hossamania

It's a place to start, something might be obvious once you get into it.
Maybe you could pull the cover and take it for a ride and have someone ride next to you, looking for issues, or taking video. You could swap so you can take a look, this if you can't find a trike Dyno.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jmorton10

I would dump the Baker Attitude adjuster.

I bought one of the originals & when looking for a noise in the primary I found the adjuster was badly bent.  By then, Baker had released the "armored" Attitude adjuster.  They where/are selling an upgrade kit to turn the original into the armored version.

I again had the primary apart to look for a noise & found the armored piece was broken in half & pieces of it where rattling around in the primary.  The POS went into the garbage at that point & I installed Vulcan/V Twin Power manual adjuster & that solved that problem....

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

NHBagger

September 29, 2020, 06:22:59 AM #15 Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 06:36:44 AM by NHBagger
It was just reassembled so I doubt it's broke, but I was thinking of changing it.
Running out of options to consider.
Hard to figure it is the Bandit clutch.
That leaves the tranny.

Can't find the adjuster that looks like yours?

rigidthumper

Stock A&S unloads during decel, and the bandit doesn't have the Assist & Slip feature, and that may account for the "perceived lash".

NHBagger

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 29, 2020, 07:03:15 AM
Stock A&S unloads during decel, and the bandit doesn't have the Assist & Slip feature, and that may account for the "perceived lash".
You know I was just thinking about that last night. The A&S is more forgiving, but I hated the way it felt when taking off in 1st.

jmorton10

Quote from: NHBagger on September 29, 2020, 06:22:59 AM

Can't find the adjuster that looks like yours?

Give California Phil a call.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

NHBagger

In addition to the backlash, I am getting quite a bit of noise. Noticed when in town when going by buildings and cars I could hear quite a bit of clicking and maybe a rattle. Even when cruising at 2500 I could sometimes pick it up.
If it's not the comp, could it be play in the tranny shaft transferring movement to the primary?

kd

Is this sound only there when moving.  I know the slack is. Sounds like you may have a loose trans pulley nut.  Can you get a pry on it (in nuetral) from both sides and get any movement.
KD

NHBagger

Quote from: kd on October 04, 2020, 07:10:31 PM
Is this sound only there when moving.  I know the slack is. Sounds like you may have a loose trans pulley nut.  Can you get a pry on it (in nuetral) from both sides and get any movement.
I think only when moving.
Had the backlash last year and the motor was completely disassembled to do the 117 this year. Comp was just replaced.
I do sometimes notice a metallic sound when I haul the clutch in and a stop and rev a bit. Thought maybe that was clutch plates sticking a bit?