April 19, 2024, 07:43:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Compensator, Inner Primary, Seals

Started by FXDL4ME, September 27, 2020, 09:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXDL4ME

I need my compensator, inner primary bearing, and all seals replaced on my 2007 Street Glide. Dealer just called and quoted me a price of $1450.00. Sound right or too much?

rigidthumper

Sounds a touch high
SE Comp with rotor (40100061) - $410
Inner bearing (9231) $15
Race (34091-06)   $13
Primary gasket set $50
Shifter shaft seal  $10
Pri fluid $20
2.5 hours labor @ $100
$768 would be more reasonable. If they are replaceing the charging stator at the same time, add $150 for a new stator, so about $920.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

I agree with Thumper.

I had the crankshaft seal fail on my 2010 Ultra, I did it myself in under two hours. Pretty much the same job, R&R the complete primary. My bet the dealer is stacking labor charges.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FXDBI

Doesn't  the rotor and stator need a upgrade in a 2007 to upgrade the compensator?  The parts alone run you over 1400 in Canada.  I would want to see a itemized statement for the quote and see how he gets his total.   Bob

rigidthumper

Rotor comes in that SE comp kit, and stator replacement isn't required, but maybe recommended at that age.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

FXDL4ME

I've had some people tell me that's a good price, and some say no way. So, not sure what to think. This is an indy shop that I've dealt with exclusively for over 15 years, and they've always been upfront and very fair with me.

Ohio HD

Get a detailed quote, that solves the issue of what are you being charged for. If they have a problem with that, then you probably know the answer.

PoorUB

Heck, run it over to me. I will do it for $1200, I could use the extra $600! :hyst:

Who you asking about the price? People that do it or have done it, or people that take everything to the dealer for service?

Go online and price the parts out yourself. 2-3 hours labor to do the job for anyone. Thumper pretty much nailed it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Quote from: PoorUB on September 27, 2020, 01:19:46 PM
Heck, run it over to me. I will do it for $1200, I could use the extra $600! :hyst:

Who you asking about the price? People that do it or have done it, or people that take everything to the dealer for service?

Go online and price the parts out yourself. 2-3 hours labor to do the job for anyone. Thumper pretty much nailed it.

You have to pickup and deliver, and then pickup for warranty work.....   :koolaid:

It's just northern Ohio.... 

FXDL4ME

Quote from: FXDBI on September 27, 2020, 11:08:30 AM
Doesn't  the rotor and stator need a upgrade in a 2007 to upgrade the compensator?  The parts alone run you over 1400 in Canada.  I would want to see a itemized statement for the quote and see how he gets his total.   Bob

Yea, they are replacing the rotor and stator also.

HighLiner

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 27, 2020, 12:39:20 PM
Rotor comes in that SE comp kit, and stator replacement isn't required, but maybe recommended at that age.

The latest generation I purchased didn't include the rotor.