April 19, 2024, 01:45:58 PM

News:

Riding the clutch

Started by electrajohnt, September 28, 2020, 10:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrajohnt

I have a tight uphill turn into my narrowing drive. Normally , on previous Harley's, I slip the clutch with a touch of rear brake and just about make it. With this M8 FLHTK it seems more difficult, is it me or is something else going on I need to compensate for.
JohnT

rigidthumper

Changing the slave cylinder to a Muller 120-60, or Aim LF002,  makes the clutch actuation/release point more manageable.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

I struggle with, or rather, just don't like, the engagement of the stock clutch set-up on the M8s.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

brokenwing

:up: :up:
Quote from: Hossamania on September 28, 2020, 11:24:25 AM
I struggle with, or rather, just don't like, the engagement of the stock clutch set-up on the M8s.

PoorUB

IMO, it is just different. Keep at it, you will get used to it.

I remember when HD went to hydraulic clutch on the baggers, 2014?. Anyway I traded my 2010 off on a 2016 Limited and it took some getting used to with the hydraulic clutch, but i don't even think about it any more and i slip the clutch often in tight, slow maneuvers.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

HogMike

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 28, 2020, 10:24:34 AM
Changing the slave cylinder to a Muller 120-60, or Aim LF002,  makes the clutch actuation/release point more manageable.

:agree:

Solves 2 problems at once.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Nastytls

Does anyone know if the AIM or Muller works with a Barnett or Bandit clutch on the M8?

ziggy24

and there is this: https://rekluse.com/product/slave-cylinder-assembly-hd/

If you have the Rekluse Torq-drive clutch plate kit, the other slaves will not work, as the slave travel is not enough to completely disengage the clutch.  Ask me how I know.

Buglet

All you have to do is get a new Harley with hill assist. 

Hossamania

Quote from: Buglet on September 29, 2020, 05:42:03 AM
   All you have to do is get a new Harley with hill assist.

Does it help with negotiating uphill turns while rolling?

Buglet

i'am lost why would you need your brake for going up hill. and it should help if you don't know what your doing or having a hard time. 

Hossamania

September 29, 2020, 08:41:24 AM #11 Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:46:35 AM by Hossamania
There are some tight uphill switchbacks that require braking, clutch slipping, and throttle, all while negotiating the turn. Even tight u-turns will call this into play.
Watch the motorcycle cops on the test and competition courses, all kinds of simultaneous clutch and brake slipping.
The problem I find with the stock assist and slip hydraulic clutches is that the engagement point is too far out for my stubby fingers.

Watch this video as he gets deeper into the ride and tell me you wouldn't be dragging brake and clutch at the same time on some of these turns. I can tell you from first hand experience that you will smell some clutch and brake lining by the time you reach the top...

https://youtu.be/1_56c5eNvgA

Coyote

Quote from: Buglet on September 29, 2020, 08:27:37 AM
  i'am lost why would you need your brake for going up hill. and it should help if you don't know what your doing or having a hard time.

A combination of brake and throttle allows better control of lean angle when doing steep up hill hair pin turns. I use the technique a lot on the mountain roads I ride each year.

Nastytls

God**** bicycle riders, totally ruined that road. They're like cockroaches, scattered everywhere, how can you even enjoy the ride.

Quote from: Hossamania on September 29, 2020, 08:41:24 AM

Watch this video as he gets deeper into the ride and tell me you wouldn't be dragging brake and clutch at the same time on some of these turns. I can tell you from first hand experience that you will smell some clutch and brake lining by the time you reach the top...

electrajohnt

Hossamania and coyote,
You know the technique, I have done a lot of mountain passes in Europe, the scariest are the slow, tight uphill hairpins.
This is similar, on reflection I think I need a couple more mph to get into the drive.
Thanks all for the input. I was looking for any peculiarities associated with the clutch (I understand it's a slipper clutch) not sure if the has an effect when engine being held against the rear brake moving forward. Also the linked brakes, if by applying the rear at slow speed does it also apply the front, which would give a tendency for the front to fold in if applied with steering lock, which is the case here.
JohnT

Hossamania

Quote from: Nastytls on September 29, 2020, 12:52:07 PM

God**** bicycle riders, totally ruined that road. They're like cockroaches, scattered everywhere, how can you even enjoy the ride.

It's all part of the adventure!
Maybe this more to your liking...

https://youtu.be/2eDc5ZU8zRA

Buglet

The brakes are not link at slow speeds, it's somewhere around 35 MPH before there link. I've being all over the country on enough switchbacks, up Pikes peak the dragon plus many more with no problem.

electrajohnt

Thanks buglet , that's what I wanted to know. Seems it's in my head, not the bike.
JohnT

electrajohnt

Hossamania. Stelvio, been over that three times over the years. But not at those speeds. It is spectacular, they named  the Moto Guzzi Stelvio after it, not to far from the factory on lake Como. There are a lot more "adventurous" passes than that around that area.
JohnT

Nastytls

Yes, much better, looks like fun.

Quote from: Hossamania on September 29, 2020, 01:28:52 PM
Quote from: Nastytls on September 29, 2020, 12:52:07 PM

It's all part of the adventure!
Maybe this more to your liking...

https://youtu.be/2eDc5ZU8zRA

electrajohnt

I would like to point out, as a measure of mitigation, that the difficulties I am encountering is with the missus on the back. The solution of course would be drop her off at the bottom of the road, but, it's a matter of saving face. Sure you understand.
JohnT

kd

You'll get better at it .... hopefully.
KD

Hossamania

900 pounds of bike, a passenger on the back, an uphill hard turn, no easy task until it's been repeated many times.
Like you said, commit to the turn, gas it and go.

Quote from: electrajohnt on September 29, 2020, 02:10:44 PM
Hossamania. Stelvio, been over that three times over the years. But not at those speeds. It is spectacular, they named  the Moto Guzzi Stelvio after it, not to far from the factory on lake Como. There are a lot more "adventurous" passes than that around that area.
JohnT

There are many other incredible passes in the area, for sure, but Stelvio made the biggest impression on me at the time, because it was our first day riding in Europe, this was the first real Pass of the day, I was on a bike I had never ridden before (BMW R1200RT) which was way too tall for me, the wife was on the back, it was crazy busy, and I was trying to keep up with the guide leading us. I was a wreck by the time we got to the top! Did I mention it was the first time I'd worn a full face helmet? After that, things got easier, but there were still a lot of pucker moments for the next ten days.
I can't wait to get back!

PoorUB

There used to be a couple switchbacks on 87 in the Black Hills like that. Too tight and steep and  to roll through in first, because of the climb you had to have some power on, but with the clutch out you would be going to fast, slip the clutch, give it some throttle and pray. I hated them on a 900 pound Ultra with mama on back and packed for a week. I was following Gonenorth on time and he hit it in second, it was fun to watch him slip the clutch in second and damned near dump it. Worst part I was right behind him. If he dumped it, I probably would have dumped it too as there as nowhere to go. If you stop the incline was so screwy there was nowhere to put your down hill foot to hold the motorcycle up. I wondered how some riders even made it up, you know, the bar hopping duck walkers. The last time we were out there they had rebuilt the switch backs so you can roll through really easy now.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Sinker

I put these on my 2018 RG and it adjusts to release like a normal clutch.