March 28, 2024, 08:51:25 AM

News:

clutch

Started by david lee, September 29, 2020, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

my clutch works well. belt primary. just wondering why the plates rattle when clutch engaged. arent the spring loaded balls on the steel plates stop that. thanks all

Hybredhog

With a belt drive, they are noisier than stock. The stock steel "load balls" type plates do help, but I think with an oil mist in the picture, it lets the plates stick together a bit & quiets them.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Dan89flstc

Quote from: david lee on September 29, 2020, 03:00:03 PM
my clutch works well. belt primary. just wondering why the plates rattle when clutch engaged.   

Do you mean the plates rattle when the clutch is disengaged?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

david lee

Quote from: Dan89flstc on September 30, 2020, 05:34:56 AM
Quote from: david lee on September 29, 2020, 03:00:03 PM
my clutch works well. belt primary. just wondering why the plates rattle when clutch engaged.   

Do you mean the plates rattle when the clutch is disengaged?
with lever pulled in

76shuvlinoff

One of the uglier sounds I ever heard was a shovel with an open belt drive.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

david lee

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on September 30, 2020, 05:45:06 PM
One of the uglier sounds I ever heard was a shovel with an open belt drive.
you know what i mean.. mine is not open but has a vented derby cover. still anoying

waltcentral

Just installed similar steels as you describe along with Alto red friction discs, belt primary also. Mine haven't started rattling yet but with the vented derby and inspection cover I get a whirring sound on the highway as if the rear belt is way too tight, but it goes away when clutch lever pulled. I assume it is those anti rattle things. I would actually prefer the rattle with clutch lever pulled.

Hillside Motorcycle

Clutch rattle is common place with most open belt drives.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

david lee

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 03, 2020, 03:49:34 AM
is that because of no oil

JW113

Just more music from a very mechanical machine. With the Ducati, they call it "Satan's Sleighbells". Same effect with a HD with dry belt primary. I ran that for a while, til the belt broke, then said bye-bye to belts. Unreliable if you ask me, but then do as you feel is best, as will I.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

FSG

Quote from: david lee on October 03, 2020, 05:19:02 PM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 03, 2020, 03:49:34 AM
is that because of no oil

for sure as there's no noise damping at all

JW is on the money    :up:

crock

Quote from: JW113 on October 03, 2020, 07:06:05 PM
Just more music from a very mechanical machine. With the Ducati, they call it "Satan's Sleighbells". Same effect with a HD with dry belt primary. I ran that for a while, til the belt broke, then said bye-bye to belts. Unreliable if you ask me, but then do as you feel is best, as will I.

-JW

I LOVE that sound. When I hear it, I always turn my head to look at "old skool" iron  :teeth:
Crock

Hossamania

Quote from: crock on October 04, 2020, 06:45:36 AM

-JW

I LOVE that sound. When I hear it, I always turn my head to look at "old skool" iron  :teeth:

Same here, the rattle just makes me smile.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on October 04, 2020, 08:08:50 AM
Quote from: crock on October 04, 2020, 06:45:36 AM

-JW

Same here, the rattle just makes me smile.
at least it tells me its working

kd

I actually miss the sound.  I used to change the studs when they became grooved from abuse and would peen the disc drive holes to decrease the clearance further.  It would be quiet(er) for a short period but would get pounded out fairly quickly and start to jingle again.  I always saw it as an audible indicator that the discs were releasing well.  I had someone mention the "aggravating clutch noise" to me once. I told him if I wanted quiet I wouldn't be running an open exhaust stroked Harley and would probably be riding a Honda like you.  :hyst:
KD