April 19, 2024, 04:34:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Chain Drive and Gearing

Started by 838, September 29, 2020, 03:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'd like to go a little further with this question. I'm not a burnout guy, I accelerate hard once the bike is in motion and sometimes the rear tire gives way, but not too often and never intentional. But once in motion I ride hard and accelerate hard.

Is a chain drive necessary? is there worry that the belt could snap simply from the 140tq that's being put to it? What's the maintenance protocol for a chain drive off I do need to go that route?

Thanks

misfitJason

What final ratio makes for a good all around gearing/bike? In other words what's a good number to aim for that's not too tall or too short
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Kllongbrake

No, you don't. If you're honest about your riding style there's no reason to chain drive if your belt and pulleys are in good condition with the proper tension. Seems like a waste of money to me. Only problem I've had is torque pulling the wheel forward but a different axle adjusting setup will fix that.

kd

The axle losing (or being out) of adjustment is likely the leading cause of broken belts.   
KD

1workinman

Quote from: kd on November 09, 2020, 06:01:14 AM
The axle losing (or being out) of adjustment is likely the leading cause of broken belts.
When I went chain drive I was expecting having to put up with chain adjustments pretty often but the x ring chain has given good service so far . I just give it a shot of chain lub every now and then and check to see if the chain needs some adjustment but so far it just works . .