March 28, 2024, 02:44:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Compensator Question

Started by aussie123, October 01, 2020, 05:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussie123

Bike 2015 Street Glide. 45,000 miles.
Have a rattle sound after start up. No kick back or hard starting ,, Yet .... Compensator screw may just need re torquing , will have to unbutton to find out...

If I require a new compensator ,,, the Compensator comes with two parts ...
1. Compensator Assembly - Item 15 , part no 36500034-A
2. Spring pack - Item 13 , part no 83936-09A

My question is ,,, which part is usually the culprit when compensator starts to fail, (ie, Comp Assembly or Spring pack ???
No doubt if I require a new compensator I will buy both parts and be done with it .... Just trying to gain info ,,, and it may help people that have a reasonably low mileage bike that may want a lower price fix ...

Thanks... [attach=0] 

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

The thread that PoorUB posted is a great contribution from Joe Lyons and excellent read for you (or anyone). The take away is to inspect and measure your present unit.  If the spokes and ramps are not worn but the pac measures within the lower percentile of the given parameters, consider the $5 .031 spacer shims to bring it back into spec.   The 15 is early enough in the production of the 14+ comp assembly series that it may be relevant to your problem.  The post 24 refers to the MOCO sheet on the condition but it has become hard to find now.  :nix:  Just do what Joe says.

I had the problem you describe with a new +14 comp and because i have a more radical idle (built 120 engine) and it would give out light clacks at strating,idle, shut down and when lugging under 2000 rpm.  I tried one shim and it got me into the spec zone but I still got the occasional click.  Maybe it was wearing in or my measurements could have been better.  The next time I removed the primary a second shim went in and it is nice and quiet now under all of the previously mentioned conditions.

A big thanks to Joe for bringing this to us here.  :up:   :beer:
KD

aussie123

Thanks for the older post regarding shims and height measurements etc... It gave me a good idea how they may be an option for a noisy compensator if the cams etc , are still in good condition, instead of buying a full compensator kit.
No doubt there are a lot of complete compensators that have been replaced, (2014 and up), where the shims, (very cheap option) , or a new Spring Pack , (next cheapest option), would have remedied the noise and rattle for most....
Again, if the cams, etc,  are in good condition , and you work on your own bike it would/maybe worth doing above ,,, but if you have your work done at a shop , you wont save money on labour , as the primary side has to be unbuttoned which everyway you go. In this case you might as well replace with new  full compensator kit, and be done with it....Then again, people have different ideas on what value is....

Cheers.....

Coyote

If it were mine, I'd just add a second small spring. Done it many times.

jls 64

Quote from: Coyote on October 02, 2020, 06:19:21 AM
}

:agree:
js

black

Quote from: Coyote on October 02, 2020, 06:19:21 AM
I just did this and it fixed my problem :up:
send  lawyers guns and money